Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Eternal Doctrine Part IV
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:12 pm 
Orz *camper*

Little by little the story is nearing its inevitable end. This is not it, though. Part V will be the last one.

Now I have an actual website for this project, including a blog where I plan to write some more or less interesting stuff at least semi-regularly. This is the first "release" I've done since setting up the webpage so I'm still figuring out how to deliver the news. My first attempt is to direct people to a blog post discussing the release, so that's where I'm directign you now:

Blog post regarding the release of Eternal Doctrine Part IV

Discussion is very welcome, especially on the comments of the blog post.

And since this is a special place, I will also give you the direct link if you just want to start reading right away:

Eternal Doctrine Part IV (PDF)

Post subject: Re: Eternal Doctrine Part IV
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:37 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Very nice read, can't wait for physical copy!

Really liked several points - Meet the Medic reference, Grumpy cat meme, Shofixti crew explanation, Yehat information re-sourcing and Zex messenger.
Two of the points I kind of disagree with - the "Dill-rats" and the Black Spathi Squadron references. They are really nice mood lighteners to people who played SC2, but, as the book is also aimed at "outside" audience, I feel those two will be heavily off for them.

Several typos/errors I've noticed. Have not been proof-reading, just something that caught my eye.
p.32 << The wreckages of the Druuge ships had been recovered >> "have been"
p.33 << now I think would be a good time to tap ourselves on the back >> "to pat"
p.53 << movement of their ships stated to make sense >> "started"
p.74 << where the other interrogator was friendly and the other one was >> "one and the other"

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:42 pm 
Orz *camper*

I'm glad to hear you're mostly satisfied. The typos you pointed out will be fixed in the final version.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:25 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

"Mostly satisfied" is a significant understatement. Even the two points I've mentioned were nice touch for me, as an "insider" item. Considering BSS having been mentioned in Groombridge log and Ilwrath bit being tiny and self contained, these points are not an issue, especially when you, as a writer (and a good one at that) have made that decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:00 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Perhaps you'll find resources mentioned in this video useful / helpful

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:43 pm 
Orz *camper*

That video was very convincing.

Indeed it is true that you can't say whether something you've written is good or not until some time has passed. For example, when I wrote the Androsynth chapter of Groombridge Log, I thought it was the best stuff ever. However, when I read it again some weeks ago, I was surprised at how "not-so-great-afterall" it was. After that I read Eternal Doctrine up to the point where I am now (less than three chapters remaining!) and I thought it was excellent. Maybe it really is, or maybe enough time has not yet passed...

I will definitely check out the creative writing lectures by Brandon Sanderson, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:18 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
Loved it as always. But I have to minor complaints. First is that I have to echo what alvarian said in that some parts would be hard to follow if you never played the game...especially things like the battles. Another nitpick is I feel like they took the potential genocide of the Thraddash and Illwrath a little to lightly. But that may just be me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:59 am 
Arilou wiseguy

When I ssent off the Ilwrath and the Thraddash to fight each other, I never expected a genocide.
The Ilwrath are at war with the Pkunk since years, and they are far from successful.
Also the two big spheres in the centre of the local area of the galaxy are not even diminishing each other.
So I expected to trigger the availability of access to a certain planet, and nothing else, when I pitched the one against the other.
I had therefore not much moral issues with it, and it saved my friends, the Pkunk, who are very peaceloving, at the expense of some bullying brute who can't follow orders or think for himself, and loves warfaring. I found it a good trade.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
One other thought (though it's just me personally) I'm a bit disappointed that the Thraddash prisoner was killed...though it makes sense tactically.