Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Ur-Quan Masters icon vector image
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:35 pm 
Orz *camper*

Here's the rough version of what I thought the cover should look like. I'm still in the process of figuring out if the Dreadnought needs some filtering.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:24 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Oh heavens no, the dreadnought looks terribly out of place. To be blunt, you just can't put that on the cover of your book. The white edges have to go, at the very least - that would, if nothing else, make it blend in better with the background. I think something better might be necessary though.
...Although you do sort of get used to it once you've looked at it for a while.

So I said I wasn't going to make a vector image of the 'original' dreadnought... but it seems I just spent the entire evening making one nonetheless. It's not perfect, but it has a lot more simplicity than the HD version. Albeit it's not as vibrant, but it might work, and I wouldn't really be adverse to sharing it. Besides, you did say you didn't want to go for too much of an HD look. However, a few points:
1: Me sharing it wouldn't mean giving you 'ownership' of the image. More like a non-transferable license to use it on your book-cover. Of course, I wouldn't lay claim to any of those profits you'll make of the book - that would be a really mean move and I'm not one to do something like that. You're free to use the image within the limits of the 'license', so to speak.
2: I may or may not end up using it elsewhere. Putting it on the first page of the Card Control rules document or something, if for no other reason than that it looks nice. Therefore, its appearance may not be limited to your own book.
If you want a look, it's uploaded to the same Drive area where I uploaded the two previous SVGs. I also have a version with spare parts -basically all the little bits I made in order to assemble the dreadnought- but I don't really think you'll need that one.
Well, it's finally up, although I had to spend well over an hour re-doing parts where there were wierd clipping issues. Well, at least it's 'only' midnight. Time to go to bed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:37 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Can I suggest the opposite? Not getting rid of the outline, but using ONLY the outline. I believe it will fit more to the "Groombridge log" cover.
Something akin to old X-Com radar image.

Incorporated into the cover here - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Alvarin/alt_cover.png

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:04 am 
Orz *camper*

Alvarin, that was an excellent idea! The "outline only" approach is definitely the best candidate I have so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:33 am 
Orz *camper*

I crudely traced the outline of the "authentic" pixel Dreadnought and applied a simple gradient to it. I think it looks very good. The great part is that it can be retro and modern at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:37 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Hey, nice idea. That looks great. I daresay the cover looks quite complete now. The look is nice, not overloaded by too much stuff or anything - all in all, it seems to be ready.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:24 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

If you are going to use this idea, make sure to remove the stars from within the outline, it kind of looks strange.