Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ur-Quan Masters icon vector image
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:53 pm 
Orz *camper*

Nope, I don't have it. This thread is about asking if such exists and, if it doesn't exist, asking for someone to make it since I'm not familiar with vectorizing images.

I'm talking about the icon of the Ur-Quan Masters exe, with the Dreadnought.

Spoiler alert! I need it for the cover page of Eternal Doctrine. Also, if someone has a really cool idea for the cover image (similar to the one in Groombridge Log), I'd be happy to hear about them. I'd be even more happy to look at some drafts.

Post subject: Re: Ur-Quan Masters icon vector image
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:01 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Wouldn't stretched version of 32x32 icon just be ugly? There are numerous nice looking pictures drawn by fans, don't think they'll refuse the use of it...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:18 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

As far as I know, there are no existing vector images of the icon dreadnought (aka the dreadnought model from the 'original' pre-HD game), and as for making one, the resolution's honestly too low to get anything looking very good. All the attempts turned out looking like a child's crayon drawing. You would probably be better off doing as Alvarin said, using one of the fan-pictures - those, with their higher resolutions, would most likely be vectorizable without much difficulty. At the very least, I tried it with the HD dreadnought and that looked good enough after the vectorization step. I could send it over if you'd like, assuming nobody from the HD remaster team has any objections?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:06 am 
Orz *camper*

Sue, I'd be happy to use an existing fan-made image if it was to my liking.

Go ahead and send it to me, Quasispatial. Or if there are no restrictions, you can post it in this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:05 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

I've put them in a Google Drive folder, here. I've made two versions available, the standard vectorization (to the right) which is somewhat blurry but less resource-intensive and probably somewhat better for resizing, and a pixel-art generation (to the left) which maintains more of the original detail but which can be somewhat laggy to handle and which may possibly get a few issues if you make it *really* big. I've tried as best I could to make them good enough, but of course, the HD dreadnought's still not massive in resolution which only leaves so much for programs to go on when making these things. Hope one of them are to your satisfaction.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:35 pm 
Orz *camper*

Thanks, it's at least something to work with. I couldn't open the file with Photoshop though and saving it as a png left it with some pesky white borders. I'm not an expert at this, but if I do stuff the same way as with the cover of Groombridge Log, I'll need to copy and paste the logo image into the black background of the cover, which would now require some tweaking.

And let's take care of the uninteresting stuff right away: Quasispatial, are you willing to give up all claims to the forecoming huge profits that result from selling Eternal Doctrine, given that your image is used in the cover one way or the other?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:50 pm 
Orz *camper*

Also, is the original icon file somewhere in the Ur-Quan Masters directory? I couldn't find it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:27 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

To get the legal jumbo out of the way, yes, I'm wholly fine with it. I don't know about the original authors of the image-file itself, but I won't hold any claims to it. To do otherwise would very much be a Druuge-ish move, and I'm not one for doing that kind of thing. I'm a bit of a hobbyist writer myself, and if I ever released anything in the future I definitely wouldn't want someone to do something like that to me.

There's no .ico file around, if that's what you mean. The icon is just the "dreadnought-big-000" file in "\Ur-Quan Masters High Definition Beta 1\content\base\ships\urquan" turned 45 degrees though, so that's what I used when I looked into the original thing. It may be possible that you'll find the image if you look into the original game's files, but honestly, I'm studying programming and if I were to guess I'd say they just used the icon file during program compilation and didn't ship it with the game afterwards, seeing as it'd be within the exe. I highly doubt that the image is really available anywhere. Well, you could brute-force it by just extracting the image from the exe directly, but I doubt you'd get any better resolution from that.
Short answer: not that I know of, at least.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:11 pm 
Orz *camper*

I toyed around with your image and also the original pixel art. I thought that the original unmodified pixel art image actually looked great on the cover page, BUT... I'm afraid that using pixel art would have once and for all categorized this whole project as a "game-related spin-off for ultra-geeks". And that is not my intention. My intention is that the general audience will take this story seriously.

Getting back on topic - I'm pretty sure I can find the right filters to modify your image to fit my vision. Quasispatial, would you mind being my second opinion on the cover page? I could send you some candidates. The point here is that I don't want the Dreadnought to be ultra-HD. It needs to work together with the cover image of Groombridge Log.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:57 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Sure thing. It'll be worth a try. I don't really have a desire to commit to re-creating the Dreadnought from scratch right now, and besides, between the holiday chaos and all the other stuff I have to do, I don't really have the time. Still, I'll try to at least drop by now and then, even though I'm probably going to be somewhat busy with all the stuff going on.