Card-Control: The Ur-Quan Masters

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Card-Control: The Ur-Quan Masters

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:02 pm

glory_device wrote:Another approach that just popped into my mind is that ship can place warp beacon at the start of each turn. Warp beacon will allow future reinforcements to be warped in at a later time. The enemy is aware of where ships might pop out! Also, we can be evil and design an upgrade card that allows a ship to warp to ANY warp beacon :twisted:.

Other approach could be that you can warp in ships from a point of control (several would be placed on the map).

You can also simply split the map into three section: neutral (no warp) player A warp zone and player b warp zone...
If you guys decide to go the warp beacon route, I would recommend giving the VUX Intruder a special ability to utilize their sneak attack function somehow... Perhaps something like allowing them to choose where to spawn their warp beacon, even if it's adjacent to an enemy ship! <--(twisted evil face seemed redundant -- but I'm imagining one here)
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:51 pm

Of course, starbases would count as "ships" for the purposes of warping in your vessels. Perhaps they would have greater warp radiuses, and a considerably larger "warp denial radius".
Also, the VUX Intruder could get the ability "precise warp calculation", which nullifies the "not within Y hexes of a hostile ship" and changing the X-hexes requirement to be near ANY ship, including hostile ones.
That would very much make it a ship you put in your warp queue and then unleash upon an unsuspecting enemy.

Capture points, that would make good for, say, asteroid areas which can be harvested for additional RUs. I think it would work better as a "grand strategy" function, though. If you have a larger map, with several "real-space" areas sealed off by "hyperspace" sections that take far more MP to traverse and drains RUs for each hex moved within it, where you could not engage combat save for moving onto the same hex, where the combatants would then move to a separate, empty battle scene for the purpose of blasting each other apart. You would "build" your ships at your starbase, and then they would have to traverse hyperspace in order to get to the resource areas. It would also give clever players a chance to set up a deadly welcoming party for incoming hostiles.

That is fairly far into the future, though. We should probably get the mainstream combat rolling first.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Those type of mechanics are slowing down the otherwise really fast paced game. Before even venturing for warping in reinforcements (which is a nice addition by the way don't get me wrong on that) I suggest that we take a look at environment. Right now, the game map is bland, no asteroids, no planets, no nebula or other weird cosmological thingy. It would create much needed strategical depth for concealment and movement without being too complicated to implement. Key aspect when you incorporate landscape elements is map design rather than the elements themselves.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:13 pm

glory_device wrote:Those type of mechanics are slowing down the otherwise really fast paced game. Before even venturing for warping in reinforcements (which is a nice addition by the way don't get me wrong on that) I suggest that we take a look at environment. Right now, the game map is bland, no asteroids, no planets, no nebula or other weird cosmological thingy. It would create much needed strategical depth for concealment and movement without being too complicated to implement. Key aspect when you incorporate landscape elements is map design rather than the elements themselves.
Just a few brainstorming thoughts...

Well, the planet should be easy enough as being a static fixture. You could keep it simple enough at first by just making it an object to hide behind and avoid running into, but you could also add gravity whip movement bonuses (or gravitational penalties, which makes it a little more difficulty for larger ships near its gravity well, thus creating an unavoidable pull towards the planet) depending on the number of hexes distance between the ship and planet.

Asteroids would be an entirely different obstacle to hurdle. I'm guessing you'd have to monitor the progress of their movement every round, and make determinations on what happens once they collide with something. The only workaround I would imagine would be creating some random possibilities of asteroid proximity every now and then, like, per se, rolling a dice every couple of rounds to determine if an asteroid interferes with a ship's current trajectory.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:56 am

Asteroids would probably move in a deterministic manner around the map with perhaps the starting direction random. I don't really like the idea of having asteroid ''events'' You want to be able to use them or to know where they will end up.

For the planet, I want to find a way to gravity whip and stuff like that for sure :)! gravity pull can be a factor of the size of the ship (the score between 1 and 5 to hit...)

Hmm now how do we implement an actual gravity whip...! / attraction
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:34 pm

The in-game gravity whip effect is to suspend the usual speed cap applied when you're thrusting. I'm not sure how that would carry over here.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:46 am

thank you death for that...I didn't know that it worked like that. Since we don't carry inertia, the mechanics will be somewhat different.

My idea so far was that when you travel inside the sphere of influence of a planet, you would be dragged toward the planet core using certain rules (closer you are to the core the faster you get dragged). You would also gain free forward movement. I didn'T sit down and do some math/ trajectory yet...but that would be the idea.

Another idea is that depending on the distance, you will be able to make orbit around the planet free of cost or be dragged toward it. if your size 5 then you can only orbit from a distance and slowly...if your size one you can really be close to the planet and just let yourself go!

...so many directions yet it's hard to find something simple,intuitive and working

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:49 am

So, a few concepts that may work together.
Firstly, we give planets a gravity well. The closer in to a gravity well you are, the more expensive it is to directly move out of it, a "proximity move cost" if you will, and when you are in a gravity well, you are moved a certain amount of hexes closer to the planet in question at the start of the movement phase, depending on how close you are. A collision would remove twenty percent of your ship's remaining health, rounded up.
When it comes to slingshot mechanics, perhaps your movement could be increased by the proximity move cost each time you move. By that I mean that if you move into an adjacency that would demand two extra MP to move a hex directly away, each movement of your ship would carry it forward 1+2=3 hexes instead of just one when you move sideways in a slingshot. This would save valuable MP which could then be used later. If we want to keep the movement like when you slingshot greater distances, such as is possible in the game, we could say that this "buff" remains until the ship turns and tries to move in a different direction, at which point the bonus is lost and the ship's pace is returned to normal.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:56 pm

That sounds like a good, sound approach to adding a gravity whip Quasi. Worth testing out, me likee. :)
glory_device wrote:Since we don't carry inertia, the mechanics will be somewhat different.
Have you all ever thought about examining inertia more closely? I did notice it changed my outlook on movement, as opposed to Melee when you have to anticipate the effects of inertia. Still, it's a little odd that a Mmrnmhrm in rocket-form can stop on a dime.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:57 pm

we discussed this approach during early development :

The other option that was proposed was that you basically had 4 stats the turn cost (how many hex you need to travel forward before being able to rotate) the Mobility score: how can you increase or decrease your velocity each turn, your current velocity and your max velocity. At the start of each turn you start with a given amount of velocity that you can influence using your mobility score. if your MS is 4 and your traveling at 6, and max speed is 10 you will therefore move between 2 and 10 hexes.

While it does provide a different feeling...it also requires you to track down some more information about the ship.

For orbits and everything, could you do a couple of small examples quasi with an implementation to see how certain movement would pan out?