Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Card-Control: The Ur-Quan Masters
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:16 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

bump ? Any news about that new feature quasi?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Oh sorry, I have been... sort of busy recently. Graduation is coming close and, as though it were making one last attempt to crush my resolve, I have had many tasks over the last while. However, I shall do my best to explain. Better late than never. Since I am not really all that good with creating hex-maps, I shall do my best to weave a few examples with words.

So, we have a Broodhome. It is "orbiting" a planet at a distance of, say, four hexes. For the sake of simplicity, let us assume that a planet has a total reach of twelve hexes, and for each four hexes' worth of distance a ship is closer than the maximum range, the gravity attraction effect is increased by 1. (In other words, ranges 1,2,3,4 give G-effect=3, 5,6,7,8, give G-effect=2 and 9,10,11,12 gives G-effect=1. Beyond 12, the effect is neligible and therefore assumed to be 0.) Naturally, these values are off the top of my head, and therefore will require actual balancing in order to work properly.
The movement phase begins. Since the Broodhome is four hexes away from the planet, it is "dragged" three hexes closer. If it were at a range that would give G-effect of one or two, then the distance "moved" would be lower.

Now, let us first assume that the Broodhome is facing directly away from the planet. It does not turn, but instead tries to move away from the planet. As it is within a G-field, the cost for moving "away" from the planet is increased by the value of the G-effect. As it is in a range that gives G=3, the total cost is 1 + G = 4 MP per hex. The Broodhome only has 4 MP, and therefore burns all its MP on the first hex. The movement phase ends, and when the next one begins, the Broodhome is dragged 3 hexes closer, that is on index -1. If the value is not greater than zero, the ship is instead moved to the closest adjacent position to the planet, and the ship -in this case, the Broodhome- takes 20% or one fifth of its remaining health in damage, rounded up. If the Broodhome continues to be stupid, it will eventually succumb to this damage.

If, however, the Chenjesu vessel instead decides to slingshot its way out, it will turn. Though a Broodhome would usually burn four MP turning two hexes, for the sake of this explanation I am "giving" it two extra MP for the purpose of turning, which it will burn whilst re-aligning to be on a course that is sideways in regards to the "away" direction, leaving it with a comfy 2 MP. As it is now facing "sideways", the G-effect is not applied in such a way as to increase the cost of moving a hex, but rather it increases the amount of hexes moved for every "movement". The Broodhome moves forwards, moving 1+G = 4 hexes as it spends one MP. It has one MP left to move, and though it is now in a position that would put it within an area that has the G-effect to equal two, the Broodhome maintains the buff of 3 until it turns and accelerates in another direction. Therefore, if it spends its remaining MP on yet another move in the same direction, it would move an additional four hexes, putting it in a much more remote position next turn. Still within the gravity well, but the effect would not be as large as before. It would probably be pulled in one or two hexes closer to the planet. It could continue to move next turn, moving up to sixteen hexes if it decides to keep its course, as it still has the buff from the slingshot. This effect would remain until it turns and moves in another direction than the "buffed" one. Naturally, the "buffed" G-value would still increase if the ship transitions into, or moves through a spot with G=3. The Skiff would also have to get an ability which confers complete immunity to gravity wells, slingshots included.

I sort of wrote this in one go, but I hope it cleared things up somewhat. If something remains foggy, ask more specifically and I shall try to explain the piece in better detail.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:20 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Ok, I think I'm starting to get it. Quick question, since we're talking about hex squares, and a ship can face any of 6 different directions, would a ship within a hex always have 2 (or maybe just 1) possibilities of facing towards the planet, 2 (or 3?) of facing away, and 2 of facing sideways? If so, is this determined by the closest side of the planet perpendicular to the ship in question?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:28 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

That seems about right, yes. Whenever a ship would align in a straight line of hexes towards the planet, it would instead be so that there was only one "towards" the planet and three "away". Like a fork, almost. Otherwise, whichever direction brings the shortest path to the planet would also be considered "towards". Those options which are neither away nor towards would be the sides. I should also add that perhaps, moving "towards" a planet should be buffed too. I am not sure whether that should simply add the normal slingshot buffs, or if the movement should just be free. The former option seems somewhat more suitable, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:34 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Quasispatial wrote:
The former option seems somewhat more suitable, though.
Agreed, plus it would also be more consistent.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:25 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Oh my, I will have to try this out soon. Looks fun, Quasi!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:00 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

I think gravity is going to be horrible unless you have inertia somehow.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:05 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Death 999 wrote:
I think gravity is going to be horrible unless you have inertia somehow.

Well, we probably could implement that, but as glory_device once said, it means more variables. You are simply going to have to be careful around gravity wells, just like you are in-game. Do not end your turn too close to a planet, or you are going to get dragged in and at that point you have only yourself to blame. Going too far down the road of authenticity may make the game overly complex, and we do not want card-control to turn into a chore to play. Yet at the same time, we would not want to move away more than necessary from Star Control itself.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:54 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

The only system with inertia that I knew of was based on Renegade Legion: Centurion board game where each unit got a velocity score and a max velocity.

Each turn a unit could modify it's current velocity by a maximum amount (let's say 8)

So turn 1 my current speed is zero i go to 8
turn 2 my current speed is 8 I can travel from 0 to 8 hex...let's say I move my velocity to 12 i need to move 12 hex
turn 3 I can move between 4 and 20 hex...however each unit got a max velocity of 20.

A couple of things to consider: 1) the faster you go the more hex you needed to travel before being able to change facing (aka rotate) it was by bracket... someting like 0-8 = each hex 8-12 1 hex 12 and above 2 hex...something like that.

Furthermore, some terrain had speed limitation. If you entered a forest with a velocity greater than x...you risk crashing into something and damage yourself... (was a dice skill check)

That kind of inertia doesn't take into account that you are hum...in space and that you could rotate your ship while moving in a given direction.

Now to fix or learn...my first idea was to create radius based on your ship's mobility score.. the more mobile, the closer you can be to the planet without risking dire consequences...it could be a RNG (aka dice throw) decided mechanics...and if the vector of approach is not DIRECTLY toward the planet three outcomes are possible: you either A enter a stable orbit, B enter a small orbit and then escape (aka you slingshot) or C enter a small orbit and decay (aka you are getting pulled toward the planet). The more you decay...the more at risk you are of ramming the planet. Let's say that the planet influence you withing 5 hex...having a decay drop you to 4 hex of distance...if you decay again 3 then 2 then 1 then boom. Odds of decay would be influenced by distance and MS.

Moding card control to incorporate a measure of inertia would take quite a while and I'm not even sure that it would totally fix the issue. But, who knows! I threw a lot of info...now...discuss gentlemen discuss and uses those brain cells to come up with something brilliant!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:55 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Well, we could always try to make some special orbiting rules. Something that modifies how the gravity affects your ship if it behaved in a certain manner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next