Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Card-Control: The Ur-Quan Masters
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:09 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

A few weeks ago, me and glory_device began a project, spawned from an idea that floated up in a general discussions thread. Now, the first "workable" version is ready for release. Alpha 1 is ready.

Some of you may already know what I am talking about. However, as there are certainly those who do not, allow me to quickly tell you what Card-Control: The Ur-Quan Masters is.

In short, it is a card-based strategy game. It utilizes cards and a hex map to simulate ships on a battlefield, with two players taking control of different sides as they do their best to... well, kill each other. At least, that is the most basic premise.

There is still a lot of work left before the game can truly be called "complete". At the moment of this post, it is limited to the ships in Star Control 1, to name an example. However, this first version is available - you can find the document with the ruleset here, whilst the folder holding the actual cards and markers is to be found at this location.

In the meantime, whilst we continue working on expanding this little project, any feedback and/or suggestions are welcome.

Post subject: Re: Card-Control: The Ur-Quan Masters
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:22 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

So far I played with a friend and we had fun (we corrected a few flaws by playing the first game)...I went to bed at 4:30 AM that night...was hard to get up the next morning haha.

If you want to play over the internet (like I did), my best recommendation is to find a hex map...embed it into Excel and use Excel clip art (arrows, square etc) to represent ships or objects...they can be rotated very easily and you can align the hex grid with rows and column!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:48 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

I would like to simply say for my initial observation is that it looks like both of you have done a fine job in putting together a very interesting and fun-looking game! Great job! :)

Before I delve into stuff and offer up any recommendations on the game itself, I'm going to spend some more time analyzing the game mechanics and get more acquainted with the rules and everything first. So far though, everything looks quite impressive.

One thing I would recommend, even though I realize this is probably asking too much, especially in the early stages, is creating a user-friendly application of the game that would help govern the game rules, plus it would eliminate for any players who wish to participate the need to do any extra legwork to be able to play the game by creating a hex map and their respective cards and such.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:37 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

The Troglodyte wrote:
One thing I would recommend, even though I realize this is probably asking too much, especially in the early stages, is creating a user-friendly application of the game that would help govern the game rules, plus it would eliminate for any players who wish to participate the need to do any extra legwork to be able to play the game by creating a hex map and their respective cards and such.

You mean, adding a list of scenarios, complete with hex maps, fleet loadouts and the like that people will be able to fire up quickly and thus save on setup time?
Added it to the todo-list.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:44 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Quasispatial wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:

You mean, adding a list of scenarios, complete with hex maps, fleet loadouts and the like that people will be able to fire up quickly and thus save on setup time?
Added it to the todo-list.

Yeah, exactly. I think that would also help the concept to gain good traction (and attraction) as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:18 am 
Ilwrath torturer

First of all, thanks for the input! We look forward to your comments!

Regarding some that you mentioned

1) creating pre built scenario could come in handy if we want to test some rules or specific ships...Right now the quick fix would be to provide an excel document with the map and ship on it ready to play! However, the idea of programming an app to actually play the game is a LOT more time consuming and would divert attention away from the mechanics...however, if nobody is able to play the game because this part is missing. Right now, I prefer devoting time playing/testing and creating the game rather than programming something, but I might be able to work on that at some point in the future...For now, I will try to do some pre made scenarios...if you want to play, just PM me and I will contact you!

2) For the cards, you might imagine that on a physical game you might have several cards with markers and everything. But, for the moment a piece of paper usually do (I only played online with the game...but I'd like to print it up at some point!)

I think that's it for now! Let us know if you have comments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:39 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

glory_device wrote:
creating pre built scenario could come in handy if we want to test some rules or specific ships...Right now the quick fix would be to provide an excel document with the map and ship on it ready to play!

Great idea, I think even at this stage availability will have a higher "sticky" value, and it will aide in testing at the same time! The less hoops to jump through, the better.

glory_device wrote:
However, the idea of programming an app to actually play the game is a LOT more time consuming and would divert attention away from the mechanics...however, if nobody is able to play the game because this part is missing. Right now, I prefer devoting time playing/testing and creating the game rather than programming something, but I might be able to work on that at some point in the future...For now, I will try to do some pre made scenarios...if you want to play, just PM me and I will contact you!

This makes sense, it’s just something I thought I’d throw out there since some may find it difficult to manage the rules without a judge or GM. Possibly something worth examining more closely in the future. And I’d love a game sometime, I’ll PM you sometime next year (hah!) so we can set one up!

glory_device wrote:
Let us know if you have comments.

Early on, when the topic came up about discussing the multi-ship combat scenario, it seemed like the game was going to focus moreso on simulating the actions taken during space combat, the main difference being that each player would control and make decisions for each ship they commanded, but some of the rules seem to be more focused on ships' overall strengths and special abilities when facing off, versus a player’s decision-making when performing ship maneuvers and attacking tactics. For example:

Quote:
Syreen song (offensive) - Instead of attacking, this ship may spend 5 energy and deal 6 damage to all nearby ships. This damage is reduced by 1 for each hex between this ship and the target, to a minimum of 0. For each damage dealt in this manner, restore 1 health to this ship. This ability cannot reduce a ship’s health to below 1 - any damage that would cause a target to go below 1 health is instead reduced to the point where it reduces the target’s health to 1. This ability cannot target friendly ships.

This one seemed to jump out at me, since I was expecting something more like the player not only needing to get in range to activate the hypnotic effect, but would also need to gather up the escape pods to gain the health the same way you would when playing melee.

I’m not saying I don’t like the way this plays out when using the Syreen song the way you have it, but it does seem to be more automatic rather than having a player the need to maneuver the ship in order to obtain the extra health, plus it never leaves the target ship the ability to regain their lost crew the way would in actual combat.

One possibility would be to make the deserting crew a “special tiny” ship attribute, allowing them to be subject to enemy fire or colliding with incompatible ships for instance (plus other stuff if and when you add asteroids and planets and such.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:52 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

The Troglodyte wrote:
glory_device wrote:
Let us know if you have comments.

Early on, when the topic came up about discussing the multi-ship combat scenario, it seemed like the game was going to focus moreso on simulating the actions taken during space combat, the main difference being that each player would control and make decisions for each ship they commanded, but some of the rules seem to be more focused on ships' overall strengths and special abilities when facing off, versus a player’s decision-making when performing ship maneuvers and attacking tactics. For example:

Quote:
Syreen song (offensive) - Instead of attacking, this ship may spend 5 energy and deal 6 damage to all nearby ships. This damage is reduced by 1 for each hex between this ship and the target, to a minimum of 0. For each damage dealt in this manner, restore 1 health to this ship. This ability cannot reduce a ship’s health to below 1 - any damage that would cause a target to go below 1 health is instead reduced to the point where it reduces the target’s health to 1. This ability cannot target friendly ships.

This one seemed to jump out at me, since I was expecting something more like the player not only needing to get in range to activate the hypnotic effect, but would also need to gather up the escape pods to gain the health the same way you would when playing melee.

I’m not saying I don’t like the way this plays out when using the Syreen song the way you have it, but it does seem to be more automatic rather than having a player the need to maneuver the ship in order to obtain the extra health, plus it never leaves the target ship the ability to regain their lost crew the way would in actual combat.

One possibility would be to make the deserting crew a “special tiny” ship attribute, allowing them to be subject to enemy fire or colliding with incompatible ships for instance (plus other stuff if and when you add asteroids and planets and such.)

You definitely have a point. I have considered this myself, though I left the ability as it currently is simply because it was more important to get a first version out than to maintain that specific detail. It is now within the growing pile that is known as the todo-list, however, so it should probably be implemented sooner or later...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:29 am 
Ilwrath torturer

The problem (game wise) with the syreen is that when you pile it up with the Guardian, the Dreadnought, the Chenjesu and the Vux intruder ...there is already a lot of tiny ship to manage which increase the rubber stamping workload of the game. It might be interesting to test, but we need to be careful about the balance between authenticity and tediousness.

If we want to do multiplayer battle we can divide it into two team and each player control a single ship ...nice idea for the board :D!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:54 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

A quick update! My 2nd game of card control is now in play between me and the nefarious Troglodyte

Forces are

Me: 2 Scoute, 1 skiff and 1 x-form

Trog: 1 Eluder, 1 Guardian, 1 Intruder

We are currently at turn number 2!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next