Playable Melee Demo

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

User avatar
PatronGOP
Silly Supox
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Playable Melee Demo

Post by PatronGOP » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:08 pm

As I said in my first post, my friend and I are working on a game in the style of, and as a tribute to, SC2. A playable demo of the melee can be downloaded here:

http://www.sunshinegames.biz/SCTribute.zip

NOTES:
-there are a few bugs.
-all the ships use the same sound fx at the moment
-the GUI in no way represents what the end product GUI will look like
-The computer AI is smart but isn't set up to use certain weapons/specials properly
-It costs fuel to start your engine.
-Yes we did that on purpose
-the ships in this demo may or may not represent ships slated for inclusion in the final game
-game will run best on 1280/768 res. and despite being 2d I suggest having at least a 2GHZ CPU
-some PC's will experience texture thrashing unless they have a dedicated graphics card.
-the demo is only available for windows, but the game will be released for MAC as well
-Player 1 controls = thrust(UP) left(LEFT) right(RIGHT) fire(') special(ENTER)
-Player 2 controls = thrust(W) left(A) right(S) fire(Y) special(T)

Have fun.
post any questions, comments, concerns, problems, here. THANX

-Zach

User avatar
kingschosen
Pkunk Captain
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:22 am
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Playable Melee Demo

Post by kingschosen » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:24 am

Playing through the melee. I'll give you my comments when I log enough fights.

Though, from what I've played, I like it.

User avatar
kingschosen
Pkunk Captain
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:22 am
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Playable Melee Demo

Post by kingschosen » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 pm

The melee is beautiful. I love the colors and shapes.

It plays like it should, and it's pretty addictive. I can't wait to find out more about the races involved during the adventure side.

If you are interested, I'll post my critiques. I wasn't sure if you wanted that in this topic, as it was to promote the game's demo.

User avatar
PatronGOP
Silly Supox
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: Playable Melee Demo

Post by PatronGOP » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Absolutely post your comments here. I would love the hear what everyone thinks. The game has been downloaded 22 times so I know some people here are playing it. Let me know what you think.

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: Playable Melee Demo

Post by Lukipela » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:44 pm

PatronGOP wrote:Absolutely post your comments here. I would love the hear what everyone thinks. The game has been downloaded 22 times so I know some people here are playing it. Let me know what you think.
I'll give it a shot this weekend, sounds like fun!

User avatar
kingschosen
Pkunk Captain
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:22 am
Location: Baton Rouge

Re: Playable Melee Demo

Post by kingschosen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:06 am

Atomic:
-moderate speed/moderate turning; they are balanced in this aspect.
-battery and crew is balanced
-shield like the Yehat is balanced
-weapon is entirely too weak
-you do not do damage from a “direct hit” (it needs this)
-projectile is too slow
-the splash from the explosion is good; however, it needs to do more damage the closer to the impact
-knock back from the missile is appropriate

One Guy:
-needs to be faster if only one crew
-turning is good
-need to be able to fire as many missiles as the battery allows as fast as possible
-homing on missiles is balanced
-missile explosion is useless because splash is too small

Oniid:
-Overpowered
-slow speed and slow turning doesn’t balance the ship
-seeking specials need a major nerf: limit their range, decrease their amount, limit their homing ability, take away their knock back
-main missiles need to consume more battery if they are to be homing and have a large range and wave splash
-too many crew compared to their firepower
-oh yeah, and overpowered ;)

Preserver:
-very original, and one of my favorites
-moderate speed and turning are balanced
-“shut down” blast is awesome and balanced because of the lack of homing
-warping shot is a great secondary that can be very effective if used properly
-warping shot needs to do damage if it hits
-balanced crew
-battery is a little low

Tiny Race:
-can’t condone a ship with that little crew being so slow despite the battery
-ripple missile is effective and has a large radius
-I have no idea what the secondary does, I can’t figure it out

Orange:
-balanced speed, turning, crew, battery
-homing system on missiles is a bit illogical; it will turn for no reason despite being fired directly at enemy
-missiles need to be able to be fired as quickly and as many as possible
-never was a real fan of cloaking
-seems to be a mediocre and underpowered ship

Yellow:
-great speed and turning
-40% fuel consumption for starting your engine is a bit excessive; especially considering the secondary
-main weapon is great; however, it needs to do more damage or take less fuel and have a homing ability
-“stop on a dime” is great, but becomes useless because you’re stopping to get a clear shot, but you use your fuel and can’t move; now you’re helpless for too long

Void Dart:
-most balanced of the ships
-slow turning is appropriate
-initial speed is balanced
-“darting” speed is balanced
-weapon is balanced
-dart ability is unique and fun
-no real complains on this ship

Charger:
-speed, turning, crew, and battery are all balanced
-standard charge ability is uninteresting yet pretty
-I can’t figure out the secondary on this one either

Crescent:
-speed, turning, battery, crew are all balanced
-missiles are effective and really, really cool looking
-“stop on a dime” is how it’s supposed to be
-no real complaints here, solid ship

Shu-Seng
-crew, turning, battery are all balanced
-ship needs to be much, much faster
-self tractor beam needs to work from further away and it needs to pull in faster

User avatar
PatronGOP
Silly Supox
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: Playable Melee Demo

Post by PatronGOP » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Thank you. I've already made some changes but much of what you said still applies. I'll go over each ship----
kingschosen wrote:Atomic:
-moderate speed/moderate turning; they are balanced in this aspect.
-battery and crew is balanced
-shield like the Yehat is balanced
-weapon is entirely too weak
-you do not do damage from a “direct hit” (it needs this)
-projectile is too slow
-the splash from the explosion is good; however, it needs to do more damage the closer to the impact
-knock back from the missile is appropriate
You are right about the shot not doing direct damage that is a glitch with how ships handle collisions with AoE (Area of Effect) objects. It's an easy fix but I need to wait until I make some revisions to collision handling in general before I do it. Maybe the next upload? Not sure. I don't know I changed the shield function before or after the demo, but currently it lets you shield as long as you want but won't recharge your battery while in use. This amounts to a "go away" button. The speed of all the shots will be adjusted when the ships are finalized for the adventure game.
kingschosen wrote:One Guy:
-needs to be faster if only one crew
-turning is good
-need to be able to fire as many missiles as the battery allows as fast as possible
-homing on missiles is balanced
-missile explosion is useless because splash is too small
Ahhh. I was wondering how intuitive it would be. The special does not "splash" your own shots to inflict damage. It splashes all shots as a defensive measure. As it is presently formatted it is probably the most effective ship despite the one crew handicap. Try it out some more using your special defensively.
kingschosen wrote:Oniid:
-Overpowered
-slow speed and slow turning doesn’t balance the ship
-seeking specials need a major nerf: limit their range, decrease their amount, limit their homing ability, take away their knock back
-main missiles need to consume more battery if they are to be homing and have a large range and wave splash
-too many crew compared to their firepower
-oh yeah, and overpowered ;)
Agreed. That special is not even intended for use on the Oniid ship. I just tacked it on last minute because it's intended special is quite broken. The knock back is caused by a the aforementioned flaw with the collision behavior. Only a couple of shots are actually supposed to have that effect.
kingschosen wrote:Preserver:
-very original, and one of my favorites
-moderate speed and turning are balanced
-“shut down” blast is awesome and balanced because of the lack of homing
-warping shot is a great secondary that can be very effective if used properly
-warping shot needs to do damage if it hits
-balanced crew
-battery is a little low
Thank you. I will make that change to the warp shot.
kingschosen wrote:Tiny Race:
-can’t condone a ship with that little crew being so slow despite the battery
-ripple missile is effective and has a large radius
-I have no idea what the secondary does, I can’t figure it out
The ripple missile is a shot with it's own gravity field. The idea is for the player to compensate for lack of speed by using the gravity shot to manipulate other ships. Will likely see many levels of refinement before a final version. The secondary is a repulsion field that sends enemy shots in the other direction. It is most effective against enemies that shot a low volume of shots but still needs to be timed carefully.
kingschosen wrote:Orange:
-balanced speed, turning, crew, battery
-homing system on missiles is a bit illogical; it will turn for no reason despite being fired directly at enemy
-missiles need to be able to be fired as quickly and as many as possible
-never was a real fan of cloaking
-seems to be a mediocre and underpowered ship
Hehe. It's not a homing missile. It is a steerable shot. That should make a huge difference in how it's flown.
kingschosen wrote:Yellow:
-great speed and turning
-40% fuel consumption for starting your engine is a bit excessive; especially considering the secondary
-main weapon is great; however, it needs to do more damage or take less fuel and have a homing ability
-“stop on a dime” is great, but becomes useless because you’re stopping to get a clear shot, but you use your fuel and can’t move; now you’re helpless for too long
The main weapon suffers from the same collision problem that I mentioned before. Once that is fixed the shot will pass straight through the enemy ship inflicting damage the whole way through. That is why it only does .25 damage per hit now. The special is not actually "Stop" but rather "latch". Once in range it mimics the polar velocity of the target ship. And yes, letting go of the thrust button is usually a huge error. Not sure what I will do since this ship is more or less a test bed for function combo's. Most likely the final version (if there is one) will just have a different secondary.
kingschosen wrote:Void Dart:
-most balanced of the ships
-slow turning is appropriate
-initial speed is balanced
-“darting” speed is balanced
-weapon is balanced
-dart ability is unique and fun
-no real complains on this ship
Thanks. I pretty well feel the same way here. This ship was a happy accident of combining functions.
kingschosen wrote:Charger:
-speed, turning, crew, and battery are all balanced
-standard charge ability is uninteresting yet pretty
-I can’t figure out the secondary on this one either
Another ship that will see some big changes before it is done. The secondary inflicts stop on the target to make it easier to hit with the charge beam. That secondary is slated for the scrap heap. I may attach some variant of doogi/fighter/limpet concept as a measure to buy charging time. Not sure.
kingschosen wrote:Crescent:
-speed, turning, battery, crew are all balanced
-missiles are effective and really, really cool looking
-“stop on a dime” is how it’s supposed to be
-no real complaints here, solid ship
Everyone seems to like the rainbow-esque shot. That's funny. My four year old daughter sat with me and made all the decisions about that particle effect. And yeah I'm pretty well set with this ship. The only way it doesn't see the final game is if we don't have a race that fits it well.
kingschosen wrote:Shu-Seng
-crew, turning, battery are all balanced
-ship needs to be much, much faster
-self tractor beam needs to work from further away and it needs to pull in faster
Being a first edition ship I will be trying lots of combos of speed etc. Try tapping the secondary and let me know what you think. Also using the One-Guy against this ship is funny.

I'm currently working mostly on the starmap and adventure game functions. Time allowing I will make the collision changes and upload a revised demo some time next week.

User avatar
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 am
Location: Citadel Station

Re: Playable Melee Demo

Post by Nuclear » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:54 am

Seems to be fairly playable, my only problem really was the atomic. I thought that it went a little too fast for its turning rate, which combined with the computers tendency to fly away with its shields up, made for a rather annoying game of cat and mouse. My favorite would probably be the one guy but I agree, it needs to be a bit more manuverable and it needs to be able to shoot faster.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Quinarbre
Orz *camper*
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:11 pm

Re: Playable Melee Demo

Post by Quinarbre » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:26 pm

To say the least, it is beautiful, and it runs smooth on my 2.6GHz old cuckoo.

I didn't have kingschosen's time and dedication to thoroughly test each ship, but I have a general remark : many times I found myself running endlessly after a fleeing ship and had to quit and relaunch the game. Maybe it's just that I'm not a good melee player, but I couldn't even find the planet to try a gravity whip or plainly crash myself.
If I'm not the only one bothered by that, I'd suggest three solutions to that :
- add a "quit battle" button to the demo !
- maybe adjust speed differentials. I was under the impression that, even when my ship was supposed to be the fastest, my speed superiority eroded when I got close to the enemy.
- review the scripts so that a computer ship never spends 100% of its time running away.

Also I stumbled upon a hyperspace mode by not chosing "VS comp" nor "VS human" but I don't know if I was supposed to get there... it ran amok when I clicked on "Starmap" :D

User avatar
PatronGOP
Silly Supox
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: Playable Melee Demo

Post by PatronGOP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:34 pm

Thanks,

Yeah the AI does reach a state of perpetually running away under certain circumstances. That isn't likely to change until we implement the "race specific" AI we are working on. If you find that happening the trick is usually to turn yourself 180 degrees without thrusting. The AI will consider its position superior and turn to come after you.

It's pretty funny that you found hyperspace. It hadn't occurred to me that the empty selection box defaults to the first option. Just so you know, what you found was an old hyperspace test level.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will be uploading a version with a bunch of changes and some new stuff on Friday.

Post Reply