"Super Thraddash Melee"

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

protrozz
ZEXy Beast

"Super Thraddash Melee"

Post by protrozz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:34 pm

I love the Thraddash Torch so much, I decided to make it the focus of my first Game Maker Studio project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmw4v2wSKs

The music in this video is from FTL (other soundtracks are selectable) and the sound effects are from starcraft 1.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this game. I'm basically just making it to learn how to make games. I'm thinking of adding a playable Orz Nemesis for second player co-op, or as an option other than the Torch. I can't imagine I'll be getting into steam greenlight any time soon, but I might just launch it for free once it has some sort of polish.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: "Super Thraddash Melee"

Post by Alvarin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:16 am

If I am not mistaken, FTL soundtrack is not free to use, you might be in violation of copyright. In addition, you can not use Star Control parts in a for-profit anything, so Steam'ing this would also be copyright violation.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

protrozz
ZEXy Beast

Post by protrozz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:08 am

Of course. The IP and sfx would also be a copyright violation, but this is just a harmless fangame like I Wanna Be The Boshy etc. The audio would be easy enough to swap out. Maybe I'll ask those Sentient Milieu if they want to make some tracks for this. I just wanted to have an adaptive soundtrack, some continuous song that had a high and low intensity state.

Here's another video of the game, this time using music from Binding of Isaac (which I think suits it better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNJcLD6MwyI

I was hoping to instead have a discussion on what I could add to the game, what fans of sc2 would like to see, and what I'm doing egregiously wrong (other than legal stuff). Maybe the game needs some gravity wells? An upgrade system so you don't start with infinite battery? Better enemy behavior? Or maybe just more random weapons and more races to fight. I'm a huge fan of roguelike games like spelunky and invisible inc. So far, this top down shooter is more like super crate box meets mega man.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:51 am

Well, for once, the fusion blasts fired by Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts should not be bouncing on surfaces. It's odd. Might want to add in a nice explosion.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

protrozz
ZEXy Beast

Post by protrozz » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:13 pm

Good idea. Modest suggestion.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:24 am

Watched both videos, really liked what I saw! It looks like pretty solid gameplay, though I'm sure there are other things that could be done. I was confused about the items/weapons you were using but I suppose that would be explained in game.

….I had several other thoughts but it's 2:30 AM here and my mind is functioning at it's top rate, but hey, thanks for sharing!
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

protrozz
ZEXy Beast

Post by protrozz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:13 am

Yeah, the idea of a blue questionmark orb giving you a random weapon is way more abstract than it needs to be. I like the gameplay it brings, but the unintuitiveness probably isn't worth it. It's complete nonsense lore-wise too. Although Thraddash would be the first race to strap on uber weapons and go on a rampage, I don't know how best that would translate to gameplay. Maybe I go full megaman and you get a few weapon options from the races you wreck, then the player can choose a weapon before jumping into another portal.