The Turning - New Race V: Dhrk

Wish there was something new in the SC universe? Check out what fan based initiatives are going on.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

The Turning - New Race V: Dhrk

Post by kingschosen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 am

I'm happy with this race. I think most of it turned out the way I wanted it to... same with the background. Oh and Nuclear, if it's not ok that I used your race, just tell me. I'll replace them with someone else.

Like the Slylandro, the Dhrk have evolved from an unlikely situation. The chemical composition of a Dhrk is hydrogen, oxygen, methane, and liquid ethanol which are bound together by sub-zero temperatures. They appear as frozen, liquid blobs, but because of their chemical makeup, the Dhrk can mold their bodies into any form they wish. They are a peaceful race that prefer learn about others as well as foreign traditions. The Dhrk homeworld rests in the far far reaches of the Kessari Quadrant. They live on the sole moon of the farthest planet orbiting a small red star. For a long time, the Dhrk’s only contact was the trader race, the HabCorperal. The Dhrk wished to live in anonymity, and their location allowed these wishes to come true. When the HabCorperal stumbled upon the Dhrk, they establish friendly relations.

The Dhrk soon became curious of the galaxy and the HabCorperal shared information with them about the Kessari Quadrant’s other inhabitants. The HabCorperals taught them the importance of neutrality, and why it is the reason that they are still in existence. The Dhrk became more and more curious of what was beyond their home, so they asked their friends for assistance. The HabCorperals are known for their shrewdness when it comes to trading, and they have never been known to offer anything for free. Nevertheless, the HabCorperals had created such a strong bond with the Dhrk that they offered free technology to them. Although they gave freely, they did so with reluctance because they were apprehensive with the thought of dissolving their friends’ anonymity.

Within a few decades, the Dhrk had mastered space flight and began exploration of the Kessari Quadrant. The Doog were the first race that the Dhrk encountered followed by the Clairconctlar. Almost immediately they established friendly relations with them. Soon afterwards, the Regothe and Bm’Mp began their peaceful communications.

When the Keetron arrived in the Kessari Quadrant and began attacking the Clairconctlar and the Regothe, the Dhrk rushed to aid their friends. The HabCorperals beseeched their Dhrk brethren to remain neutral and not get involved. The Dhrk, feeling too compelled, apologized to their closest friends and began attacking Keetron fleets. The HabCorperals, knowing that they could not help their friends due to their unwavering neutrality, left the Dhrks to their destiny, and sadly, ever since that day, the HabCorperals and the Dhrk have had no contact.

The Dhrk starship, the Shimmer, is icy and frozen like the Dhrk. The Shimmer’s main weapon has been dubbed the “negawatt laser”. Contrary to its name, it is, in fact, not a laser at all. It is a highly concentrated blast of liquid hydrogen that freezes and breaks holes in enemy hulls. The battery keeps the ship at its frozen temperatures, and if the Shimmer begins to heat up, it loses its functionality. A Dhrk captain has to be wary of his battery supply and cannot let it get too low. The Shimmer is a fairly quick and maneuverable ship, that is, with a full battery. As the Shimmer’s battery drains, so does the overall speed and turning ability. If a Shimmer’s battery completely drains, the ship’s overall temperature is too hot and it is unable to move, turn, or fire its weapon. A captain must then perform what is called a “consume”. The Shimmer filters cold from the icy vacuum of space and replenishes the battery which cools the ship. A wise captain will not drain his battery completely, but he will use it cautiously and will consume often to keep his battery high.

Last edited by kingschosen on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeepeep
Hunam adventurer

Re: New Race V: Dhrk

Post by Yeepeep » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:04 am

Hi all,

forum lurker from a few weeks when i found the website.

first things first, thanks all for keeping sc alive, my all-time favourite game

off to kings' race, actually the ship itself:

i like the idea of a frozen/freezing ship but being quite a nerd i see a 'big' conceptual problem here: any body that does any action exchanges heat with its surrounding or something like that.

i.e. if this ship heats up, it has to radiate the excess heat. but if it does so, it'll basically melts, leaving the poor crew well, more or less $crewed.

so what if these guys found a way to:

1. get rid of all the heat produced. not just to radiate it in the surrounding space but instead, they accidentally found a way to dump the excess heat in what they call let's say the X module. it is not known how the module actually works, but it is known what it does - it puts the excess heat somewhere *else*. there are speculations that the excess heat leaks into another, extra dimension, or to a parallel universe. there are also some rumors that an unknown (and invisible), but friendly entity is feeding off it (like the little guys cleaning up the sharks).

2. by accidentally finding a lucky way to get rid of the heat, they also got (as a bonus) a somewhat stealthy-ish ship - if you don't radiate in space, you can't be tracked on the radar!

now here is the twist - this *else* place is basically nothing else but the backyard of some quite irritable, hostile and senile orz politician who:

a) really, really hates hot weather b/c his favourite Y garden plants (that he spent so much time last summer to groom, feed and tell bedtime stories) get all whiny, cry and complain all night outside his window => he's not getting his beauty sleep....

b) as a result of this unfortunate and unwilling "heat exchange with our lousy neighbours in universe Z" is getting annoyed and is already proposing in the local town hall a "punishing expedition" to the above-mentioned universe Z

ok i need to stop :D

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:41 am

kingschosen wrote:I'm happy with this race. I think most of it turned out the way I wanted it to... same with the background. Oh and Nuclear, if it's not ok that I used your race, just tell me. I'll replace them with someone else.
As I mentioned, anyone can feel free to use the HabCorperal in any project of sorts. Its actually kind of an honor really :geek: . You seem to do pretty good with them, sticking to the ever "Neutral Traders" Idea, I like this part the best:
When the Keetron arrived in the Kessari Quadrant and began attacking the Clairconctlar and the Regothe, the Dhrk rushed to aid their friends. The HabCorperals beseeched their Dhrk brethren to remain neutral and not get involved. The Dhrk, feeling too compelled, apologized to their closest friends and began attacking Keetron fleets. The HabCorperals, knowing that they could not help their friends due to their unwavering neutrality, left the Dhrks to their destiny, and sadly, ever since that day, the HabCorperals and the Dhrk have had no contact.
This seems to make plenty of sense seeing how the HabCorperal, being the uber neutral jerks they are, help nobody but themselves {Unless you got plenty of credits :mrgreen: }. If the Melnorme were the "Good" traders and the Druuge the "Bad", then the HabCorperal would be, you guessed it, the "Neutral".

Anyway, about the ship, if Timewarp has taught me anything, its that fast laser ships are quite cheap game play wise {Remember the Djinni Lancer? :x } Of course, I like the cool down element, so you can't go too "Full boar" on the enemy without making yourself vulnerable. BTW, would the laser be a VUX laser? {1 damage}, an M-bot laser {2, 1 damage lasers} or a Chmmr laser? {2 damage}
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Hmmmm, the heat thing is something that I'm going to have to try and work out. I can see what you're saying though.

And Nuclear, it would start off at 2 damage, then 1 damage, and by the end of the battery it would be .5 damage.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: The Turning - New Race V: Dhrk

Post by oldlaptop » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:20 pm

This ship would need to have a fairly large battery, and the weapon might need to be quite long-ranged, to make the ship itself worthwhile in melee combat. Other than that I really like the idea, frozen spaceship included.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Re: The Turning - New Race V: Dhrk

Post by kingschosen » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:19 pm

oldlaptop wrote:This ship would need to have a fairly large battery, and the weapon might need to be quite long-ranged, to make the ship itself worthwhile in melee combat. Other than that I really like the idea, frozen spaceship included.
Yeah, without actually having the ability to play them in combat, it makes it kind of hard to judge the balance... eventually, I hope, that will change :)