Tell us about your retro video game memories

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Tell us about your retro video game memories

Post by Nuclear » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:48 pm

Happy to see we catalysed some delightful discussion :)-smf nostalgia rocks. I've been playing a shitload of System Shock lately, and I love every seconds of it. I'm kinda sad I gave up on it the first time I tried it a couple years back, because this game rocks. Does anyone here remember Master of Orion 2? I love just the sheer possibilities that can happen in that game. You got almost every space opera trope you could ever want; from a power armored army, a death star, a slave empire supported by android drones. It's perfect.
UltronUser25 wrote: Sims (which I admit to liking!)
I hope you're not expressing an ounce of shame dude! I love the Sims. I own every single Sim game older than 2009 {except the illusive kids games; "Sim Park"}, and proudly display the bunch on my dresser and bookshelf. It's a shame my girlfriend only wants to play the Sims 3, she doesn't quite share my connection with legacy software lol.

As for educational games, I was a reader rabbit kid as well. I loved the learning company, especially their science game; Gizmos and gadgets. I think the school computers at my elementary school had Math Blaster, Christmas Lemmings, a demo of Caeser 3, and later on Civilization 3; which was a ton of fun at the time considering I could only play it for an hour during computer class.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:20 pm

I consider myself a very "old school" retro gamer. My first computer was an IBM TRS-80 (nicknamed the "Trash 80") that also doubled as a space heater (ask anyone who ever owned one). My first games were no-name DOS-based games that were usually nothing more than arcade games but with nothing but ASCII characters. There was Pacman, Frogger, Donkey Kong, and Centipede to name a few. The character you controlled was usually the basic smily face and other characters (like ghosts in Pacman) were something like $ or & or some other symbol chasing you around.

Then there was Star Fleet I: The War Begins! and I thought it was so awesome! You basically commanded a star trek-like starship with shields, phasers, torpedoes, tractor beam, etc., but instead of fighting Klingons and Romulans you fought Krellans and Zaldrons. Everything was still displayed by ASCII symbols, but it had more vibrant colors and sound. My favorite part of the game was the random events that would take place. For example, you could be right in the middle of a heated battle when all of the sudden you'd get a report from engineering informing you that there is an emegency! That's right! An electrical malfunction has caused all of freezers to go off-line, resulting in several tons of ice cream to melt! The engineer also informs you that spoons are being handed out to the crew to remedy the problem, but choice of flavor is impossible. It was worth it just for stuff like that! However, the game was basically unbeatable. The most you could accomplish was getting promotions and earning awards and commendations for saving starbases, capturing vessels using Space Marines, destroying cloaked Zaldron warships, and finishing your mission in a timely fashion.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:17 pm

It wasn't until I got a game called Star Command that I began seeing some semblance of animated graphics, which was nothing more than different icons, sometimes shooting at each other, on different backdrops. The game was highly addictive, and centered around the idea of being in a far distant future where earth has long since been destroyed by hostile aliens. Star Command itself is made up of 3 large space stations in charge of protecting the human race from space pirates lead by Blackbeard, and a race of highly aggressive insectoids with advanced technology, which was copied from Star Command technology. Later on, you'll even encounter a robotic and a lizard race.

You're put in charge of recruiting a crew of green manufactured troopers ranging from pilots, soldiers, scouts, and an esper, who is capable of strange psionic powers like a mindshock and psychic scream (with enough training). Training sessions would raise their various attributes like strength, speed, willpower, courage, and overall intelligence. These, in turn, affect how well your crew's hit points, offense and defense bonuses, accuracy, and how much they can carry.

Then you have to buy a ship, but you can only afford a scoutship at first, but later with enough money you can buy something better, eventually even a frigate. Then you have to outfit your ship with weapons, shields, armor, among other things. But don't neglect outfitting your crew with weapons, armor, and anything else you might need to explore a pirate space station or a secret insect base! This could be tedious at times, and to achieve victory would inevitably require much planning. I sometimes felt like an accountant trying to allocate all of the money!

You are given many different missions that got progressively harder as the game went on, but they also offered better rewards. The gameplay was round-based during combat, whether by space or hand-to-hand, and driven by the various stats and attributes of your ship and crew. The game was fun to play and I eventually beat it. One day I even altered one of the data files to make killing a pirate render $2,000,000,000 as opposed to $200, which made the game much easier to win my second time through!
Last edited by The Troglodyte on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:08 pm

I heard several people compare and contrast Starflight with Star Control and rightly so with so many similarities between the two. I enjoyed the alien encounters, whether it was trying to figure out how to answer the robotic race Mechan 9's questions correctly, repeatedly paying tribute to the insectoid Veloxi to explore their space, or even begging the squid-like Gazurtoid to not destroy you while they preach their hyper-spiritual yet xenophobic rhetoric before finally allowing you to leave in peace.

However, the thing I liked the most was the exploration and the "unknown factor", which is what I also find appealing about Star Control 2 (which I've only played a little bit thus far). I loved not knowing what was going to happen next and I even found some enjoyment during the times when I'd make a wrong decision and have to pay the price. Like the time I got tired of the obnoxious Spemin's threats and attacked their fleet, only to ultimately be destroyed since I had forgotten we were currently in a nebula, where shields are rendered useless!

One thing I'd like to say is that I eventually got a hold of a Starflight cluebook, and it was great to now have this newfound information to complete the game at my fingertips. I admit it was quite a rush to venture into Uhlek space using a series of secret wormholes to aid in avoiding their warships armed with plasma bolts and to finally obtain the oh so ellusive crystal cone needed to complete my mission and win the game, but...

At the end of it all I felt it was a somewhat empty victory and found myself wanting.

I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen now that I'm embarking on a personal mission to beat Star Control 2...without spoilers! Even though I've done some lurking throughout this discussion board I've taken extra care to avoid any subject matter that would provide me information to beat the game, and I'm planning on starting a new topic on the matter.