Tell us about your retro video game memories

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Tell us about your retro video game memories

Post by Nuclear » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:37 pm

I don't know about you guys, but playing old games like Star Control 2 always floods me with ephemeral memories of being a kid. Old video games have played a large part in my upbringing, since I was a rather shy kid in elementary school and I spent the majority of my time being babysat by obsolete computers. I used a Windows 95 machine up until 2007 or so, when my parents bought a Windows Vista, and didn't have internet 'till 2010. Before that, the only games that would function on my fossil of a computer were whatever golden oldies I could scavenge from thrift stores. I like to think that I vicariously lived the early 90's era of gaming because of this, and grew up with classics like Master of Orion or Heroes of Might and Magic. Reliving the memories that older nerds would have lived, so to speak. I currently have a massive collection of old games I've accumulated over the years, everything from obscure shooters like Blood and Blood 2, to beloved but underrated classics such as System Shock.

The earliest game I remember playing was the Spider-Man Cartoon maker, a game that allowed you to drag animations and stamps across the screen and play the sequence back as your own custom cartoon. That game was money, dude. Before I collected old computer games, I used to be a Play Station kid. I only ever had about 9 PS1 games, and not a whole lot of money, so we used to rent games often from trashy video stores. I had so much time to play Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, I would look endlessly for glitches as if I were a beta tester. Admit it, glitches were the coolest fucking thing ever when you were a kid. Video games were like a world, and there was nothing like defying the programming gods and breaking the established laws of physics.

Though I've had a love of science ever since I was born, games have always inspired me to learn more about the world I live in. It's the beauty and wonder intrinsic to the unknown that compels me to learn more, even if the "beauty" is simply a fabrication of my mind based on my experience. Star Control 2 and other space game have been a wonderful motivator for me to digest more on the topics of Space, Entomology, Computer Science, and recently; Chemistry. I currently have hopes of getting a bachelors degree of Entomology once I'm out of high school, and exploring the wonderfully varied realm of insects.

I bought Star Control 2 in 2005, and loved every bit of it. There's an adventurous charm about colorful, space-opera style romps through the galaxy that are completely lost in sci-fi nowadays, such as Mass Effect. I joined the original Star Control Discussion board in 2009. If anybody remembers my introductory thread from the old board, please erase that bit of convolution from your neurons. I was about 12 years old at the time, and it was literally my first time using the internet at home besides creeping the Wing Commander forums. I stole my neighbors Wi-Fi by sitting at the window with my PSP; I gotta tell you, I've looked better. I'm quite thankful the likes of Eth and Lukipela taught me proper internet etiquette at the time, lest the veritable filth of social networking have corrupted my young, malleable mind.

I could talk about this stuff for days, video games have been such a salient influence on my childhood, I can't help but feel they made what I am today. If you wish, share your fondest memories of gaming as well. Sometimes it's good to take a step back and remember the immersive worlds of yesteryears. Here's some music for pensive thought, if needed.

Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Re: Tell us about your retro video game memories

Post by sakalava47 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:57 pm

I enjoyed the old Reading Blaster educational game. But when you google Reading Blaster it comes up with other games that I am unfamiliar with. I wish I could find that old game.

I really liked Star Fox for Nintendo 64 and Super Mario Brothers.

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:42 am

Don't even get me started on "retro" gaming, I'll put it this way, I own an original Atari and an Intellivision, not to mention I have a dos computer under my desk and only recently recycled my original IBM PS2 (weeee no hard drives!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And on with my point of posting..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_Learning_System

These would be the games your refering to? I used to play them myself thought only the Math blaster originals.. I had out grown them by the time reading blaster had come around. How about Reader Rabbit and um what was it called mixed up mother goose?
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:57 am

To my girlfriend's nightmare (she don't get why I play old game go figure!), I own a NES, SNES, 64 and a x-box which I frequently play and got an interesting collection of games.

I also enjoy old games such as the old Command & Conquer, star-wars KOTOR, Outpost 2 and master of orion 2.

However, SNES is, by far, my favorite era of old school gaming! Some day, I will buy myself a copy of chrono trigger. It's possibly the only SNES game that I truly miss in my collection.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:04 pm

glory_device wrote:To my girlfriend's nightmare (she don't get why I play old game go figure!), I own a NES, SNES, 64 and a x-box which I frequently play and got an interesting collection of games.

I also enjoy old games such as the old Command & Conquer, star-wars KOTOR, Outpost 2 and master of orion 2.

However, SNES is, by far, my favorite era of old school gaming! Some day, I will buy myself a copy of chrono trigger. It's possibly the only SNES game that I truly miss in my collection.
Ah yes. The many hours and hours of chrono trigger. I loved that game!

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:36 pm

Pretty good game indeed. The problem was, it was my friend who had the game in the first place. I never owned it myself. Right now, they are worth a lot of money and I can't justify such an expense right now :( ! One day...

Got secret of mana tho!
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:47 pm

When I was a little kid, I'd visit the neighbors and watch them play Enduro and Combat (and sometimes get a hand at it myself).

UltronUser25
Hunam adventurer

Post by UltronUser25 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:16 am

This is exactly why I like stuff like Star Control 2 (and must give great credit to Toys for Bob for releasing the code, and the amount of work put in by you guys here who helped to update it for modern machines). A lot of recent games are basically one of three things: either MMO's, some of which charge monthy fees (which hastened the demise of Star Wars Galaxies which coul have been better handled), or games pushing the limits of what is acceptable (like graphics and content, with less emphasis on the game itself) or Sims (which I admit to liking!)

Go back 15 years and you had some of the earlier PC games like Age of Empires, X-Wing (and the spin-offs), Syndicate.... good games that didn't go all out to show what a computer could do, but had a very playable game and strategy elements with different paths to explore (Star Control 2 is in the same ilk, I try and win the campaign by setting myself goals and doing things in different order). I can actually get the rather fun Starcraft to run on my Windows 8 Laptop with no issues, which I consider an achievement considering it's age.

And now showing my age, back to the good old days of the ZX Spectrum, with things like HeroQuest, Space Crusade, and the game I wasted most of my last two years at primary school playing, a game called POD. And what was good about these games? Simple. Take away the graphics, sound and look at the bare bones, what did you have? A good idea, often straightforward in concept, which was easily converted into a playable game. That is why so many of us like retro video games.... the graphics and sound may not be great in quality, but to make a game good they had to make you want to play it.
The Ultron tells me I should wear my Mask of Toys for Bob Appreciation when playing Star Control 2.

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Whenever we visited my aunt who had a C64 I played it all through the visits. Eventually we got an Amiga 500 from my neighbor with some 200 pirated games and programs. When normal kids were caught doing something nasty they got grounded in their room. I was prohibited from playing the Amiga!

When we finally got a Win95 we didn't really have money for games. Instead I noticed a disk in the supermarket sales bin with 50 games on it, and told my father I wanted that one. Of course, the disk was one of those shareware collections. I played through that disk and whatever free games there were on the Win95 for a good while. Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold was one of my favorites.

Ultimately when the financial situation improved, and my father got into gaming too, we started getting some real games. My father and I both particularly liked the early Command & Conquer series.

Star Control? I never played it until a few years ago.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:07 pm

Scott Irving wrote:Don't even get me started on "retro" gaming, I'll put it this way, I own an original Atari and an Intellivision, not to mention I have a dos computer under my desk and only recently recycled my original IBM PS2 (weeee no hard drives!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And on with my point of posting..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_Learning_System

These would be the games your refering to? I used to play them myself thought only the Math blaster originals.. I had out grown them by the time reading blaster had come around. How about Reader Rabbit and um what was it called mixed up mother goose?

Yes, that was it. Thank you. Reading Blaster 2000. Maybe I can get it for my kids.