The new Star Control thread

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The new Star Control thread

Post by Angelfish » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:59 am

Rados wrote:
The game itself is starting in 2112 with mankind's initial alien contact

But it being a reboot, we can safely assume that the contact will not be with the Chenjesu, as outlined in SC1 and 2 background materials...
So it's just a brand squat then?

rkramden77
ZEXy Beast

Post by rkramden77 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Angelfish wrote:So it's just a brand squat then?
Not necessarily. Stardock seems to be saying all the right things, and their support of the existing community and projects is encouraging.

I think they're hoping that Fred and Paul can somehow figure out a way to be more involved in a proper sequel to Star Control 2 down the line, and are leaving 'their' universe alone.

To me, a brand squat would have been taking down Ur Quan Masters and forcing people to buy Star Control 2 through Gog without any plans for a new game.

Anthony
Hunam adventurer

Post by Anthony » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 pm

It would be nice if PR3 and FF had more creative control and more direct input. It's not the true SC2 sequel we've all dreamed of. If I recall, they weren't sure if were going to use the trademark, so they didn't bid on it.

I'm just glad there are at least plans to keep some distance from the Star Control games so nothing is necessarily being overwritten. Stardock's Star Control needs to retain the witty dialog, open-ended universe, alien design. I REALLY love the alien designs they used in SC2. They were each unique and were never just sitting in the center staring at the player. The backgrounds were interesting and I really felt I was staring into an interior that was not designed by a human being.

Stardock can pull it off, no doubt about that. There is not question that a Star Control game lead by BW will be very different than one lead by PR3 and FF. I mean, would you be willing to throw a away month's worth of work and start over if PR3 and FF told you to?

I think the Star Trek reboot analogy is a perfect for this situation. They had to make changes to make it more successful (e.g. more action) and using the alternate timeline to avoid contradicting anything else established in the Star Trek canon and leave room for creative changes to make the end product more entertaining.

I know it's too early to say anything right now, but I'd love to see more in the future. In the Nitrous tech demo, one of the presenters mentioned that it can be very difficult to synchronize multiple particle effects over a multiplayer game, though he was showing off hundreds of ship fighting each other when he said this. Some of the particle effects in Star Control had unique behaviors; the Vux's limpet cocoons, Ur-Quan fighter ships, Mycon plasmids, Andyosynth bubbles, etc.

Are you going to be taking this to 3D or 2D?
Check out my blog at http://starcontroller.com

Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:07 am

No Fwiffo Zelnick romance wow 0/10 will not buy.

Joking. Thanks for all of the info man, excited to see the announcement wasn't just purchasing the rights and letting it sit under a desk for another decade or so.

TalkingPet
I'M ALIVE!

Post by TalkingPet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:53 am

I just heard the news. And OMG, Starcon 2 is hands down the best computer game I have ever played-even in today's age of Call of Duty/Warcraft. Stardock already has my money.

However, one thing that concerns me from another source on a different forum was that he was saying that BW never really got FF and PR3's blessing and refused to sell back any of the assets back to them-and that all the articles describing the acquisition and develop are horribly misinformed. Has anybody else heard about this?

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:34 am

yeah so link to that forum then

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Yeah, it's generally helpful to link everything you're referencing. Otherwise it's all just made up. That's how the internet works these days.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Maloo Oture wrote:Yeah, it's generally helpful to link everything you're referencing. Otherwise it's all just made up. That's how the internet works these days.
not just the internet.. try writing a graduation thesis without citing sources.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:15 pm

Right. So CITE STUFF!

I find it very unlikely that those "statements" are true. The lead at stardock has been communicating directly with the fans on many levels and through many forms. So I doubt they're intent is nefarious.

Rider
Not Ride Her

Post by Rider » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm super stoked for a new Star Control game, and I've got enough faith in StarDock as a developer that I could see them make something of it.

However...

Communicating directly with fans of the franchise to get it "right", while admirable in its intent, is what's giving me pause. Rose tinted glass aren't exactly in short supply, in particular with a fan base that hasn't seen a new entry in this franchise for so long. It's imperative that the people at StarDock themselves have a vision about what they intend to bring to the table for this new instalment, it can't just be a retread of what worked back then, it needs to be it's own thing as well.

Having said all that, developers coming to PONAF to talk to forum folk? Yeah that earns you big points with me ;D-smf
Hehe, that's what I said!