The new Star Control thread

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Frogboy
Hunam adventurer

Re: The new Star Control thread

Post by Frogboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:25 pm

TalkingPet wrote:I just heard the news. And OMG, Starcon 2 is hands down the best computer game I have ever played-even in today's age of Call of Duty/Warcraft. Stardock already has my money.

However, one thing that concerns me from another source on a different forum was that he was saying that BW never really got FF and PR3's blessing and refused to sell back any of the assets back to them-and that all the articles describing the acquisition and develop are horribly misinformed. Has anybody else heard about this?
That would be an odd set of claims. We've had a good talk with Paul and Fred and I outright offered to sell them the Star Control assets at our cost back this past Fall when they said they wouldn't be able to work on the new Star Control due to Activision. Mind you, these conversations are in email so there is no way it could be misconstrued to something else.

Frogboy
Hunam adventurer

Post by Frogboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:33 pm

Rider wrote:I'm super stoked for a new Star Control game, and I've got enough faith in StarDock as a developer that I could see them make something of it.

However...

Communicating directly with fans of the franchise to get it "right", while admirable in its intent, is what's giving me pause. Rose tinted glass aren't exactly in short supply, in particular with a fan base that hasn't seen a new entry in this franchise for so long. It's imperative that the people at StarDock themselves have a vision about what they intend to bring to the table for this new instalment, it can't just be a retread of what worked back then, it needs to be it's own thing as well.

Having said all that, developers coming to PONAF to talk to forum folk? Yeah that earns you big points with me ;D-smf
I agree. The team is thoroughly familiar with the original series and the reboot is very much in line with what people expect out of a Star Control game. We just hired a full-time writer to work on the writing (one of the columnists from Cracked.com) to ensure that the writing works. The main point is, we have a very well defined concept of the game we want to make. There will naturally be some people who won't like what we're doing. The new "Ultra Meelee" mode supports up to 8 people via the Internet fighting it out. I'm sure there will be people who think we should have stuck with 2 players max. But all design choices (or at least good design choices) mean closing off certain paths.

However, that said, I think it would be a missed opportunity not to work with the Star Control community during the long development schedule.

We've been slowly finding people from the community who have been involved in either UQM or Project and adding them to a Skype channel with the team so we can chit chat on things.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Frogboy wrote:
Rider wrote:I'm super stoked for a new Star Control game, and I've got enough faith in StarDock as a developer that I could see them make something of it.

However...

Communicating directly with fans of the franchise to get it "right", while admirable in its intent, is what's giving me pause. Rose tinted glass aren't exactly in short supply, in particular with a fan base that hasn't seen a new entry in this franchise for so long. It's imperative that the people at StarDock themselves have a vision about what they intend to bring to the table for this new instalment, it can't just be a retread of what worked back then, it needs to be it's own thing as well.

Having said all that, developers coming to PONAF to talk to forum folk? Yeah that earns you big points with me ;D-smf
I agree. The team is thoroughly familiar with the original series and the reboot is very much in line with what people expect out of a Star Control game. We just hired a full-time writer to work on the writing (one of the columnists from Cracked.com) to ensure that the writing works. The main point is, we have a very well defined concept of the game we want to make. There will naturally be some people who won't like what we're doing. The new "Ultra Meelee" mode supports up to 8 people via the Internet fighting it out. I'm sure there will be people who think we should have stuck with 2 players max. But all design choices (or at least good design choices) mean closing off certain paths.

However, that said, I think it would be a missed opportunity not to work with the Star Control community during the long development schedule.

We've been slowly finding people from the community who have been involved in either UQM or Project and adding them to a Skype channel with the team so we can chit chat on things.
This is awesome. That's all I can say about it. AND considering the fan base is pretty much made up of people who are REALLY fans, I think that's a good call.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:48 pm

Frogboy wrote: The new "Ultra Meelee" mode supports up to 8 people via the Internet fighting it out. I'm sure there will be people who think we should have stuck with 2 players max.
There have actually been requests for this sort of feature to be added to some of the UQM mods/forks - I think a lot of people will be happy to see this (myself included).
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:13 am

I had an idea about this…. wondering what other people think of it:

Groups of ships battle each other in TrueSpace (dunno if this is 2D or 3D) but some or all ships are able to pull another ship with them into Hyperspace where they battle one-on-one.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Vman
Er, we mean

Post by Vman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:24 pm

This is wonderful news :D

Not quite what I hoped for (an SC2 sequel, or even prequel/reboot along the lines of the storyline we know and love), but nevertheless I'm optimistic.

And Frogboy, your coming here and talking to us like this is very much appreciated. That, as well as the convincing promises that you'll do Star Control justice, give me hope.
Not to mention the fact that Paul & Fred, the UQM team and even the P-6014 guys are consulted and/or given support. Very, very good indeed :)

I don't have much experience to speak from, but for what it's worth, I don't think I've ever seen a better way of engaging the fan community than this. Please, keep it up. It can only work in your favor :)

Btw. a little suggestion of my own, if I may. Once the Melee (and the rest of the game?) is done, a nice final touch might be to add SC1/2 ships (adapted to the new engine, and perhaps with some changes to abilities, extra guns etc. where appropriate) as a nod to them :mrgreen:

The Melee in SC2 did the same, including ships from SC1 even though many of them were not present in the single-player campaign. Also, this would not infringe upon the universe created by Fred & Paul - on the contrary, in fact O0-smf

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:20 pm

This is all really exciting stuff, and I like what I'm seeing in this thread. Looking forward to some screenshots, even though that's probably pretty far in the future.

I was wondering, though, and it may be too early to say on this: Any plans to port this to consoles? I know you guys tend to be pretty focused on the PC, but I would be pretty keen on a console version of the game (because my PC is horribly outdated and I'd need to upgrade it to play, most likely).

StarConKen
I'M ALIVE!

Post by StarConKen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 am

It's wonderful to see so much interest in the Star Control universe. I just stumbled upon the news today and I can't wait.

I first played Star Control on the Genesis, once upon a time. It was actually the reason I ended up purchasing a Genesis. Just to play that game for hours on end. When I learned about Star Control 2 I purchased the game a full year before my family owned a PC. For a year I routinely read the manual's story and inspected the copy-code starmap wondering what was in store for me. It was the first computer game I ever installed and to this day the only PC game alongside X-Com that I've re-installed on every PC I've owned.

Stardock, thank you for doing this. Thanks for taking care to preserve the franchise. The reboot idea is fine and allowing Fred and Paul to return to a true SC3 sequel is going above and beyond on your parts. I think we're all excited to hear you'll be focused on the feel of Star Control 2 without advancing Fred and Paul's vision for Star Control's future. Thumbs up.

Alternate timeline? I'd love to see a "what if" game where the Humans made first contact with the Hierarchy instead of the Alliance. A tale of "things gone wrong" like we've seen before in classic Sci-Fi series. You don't bump into the 'canon' and could still flesh out a unique adventure in an alternate universe. You've already got a handful of 'dimensionally sensitive" races like the Arilou and the Orz that would know something "wasn't right". Whatever the alternative timeline holds I know we're all excited to find out.

Good luck Frogboy and Stardock! I'll be there on day one to pick this one up. You've got one of the best communities on the internet behind you!

Axemaster
Hunam adventurer

Post by Axemaster » Sat May 02, 2015 7:07 pm

Its been more than a year without a single reply here, does frogboy have any updates on the game, i've been burning to get my hands on an all new Star Control for over 10 years now, after going through a decade of the latest games, yes there are plenty that is good, but none comes close to Star Control, absolutely none, i'm still missing something only Star Control can forfill, the game is so unique, no other game can give me what Star Control Can... Absolutely no other...

Vaelzad
I'M ALIVE!

Post by Vaelzad » Fri May 08, 2015 8:22 pm

I hear they have a lead designer on the project who has been chatting with people on the stardock forums.