Online Super melee?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

uqraider
ZEXy Beast

Online Super melee?

Post by uqraider » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Hello everyone!
I know it's kinda obvious thing to use search first before posting something like this but, Im excited so much...
Some friends of mine downloaded UQM:HD because it says "online multiplayer included", but the thing is, we was unable to find out
how this wonderful thing works.

Help us out! I need an link for a something guide-like for "How to play SM online via hamachi or something".

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Online Super melee?

Post by oldlaptop » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:09 pm

uqraider wrote:Hello everyone!
I know it's kinda obvious thing to use search first before posting something like this but, Im excited so much...
Some friends of mine downloaded UQM:HD because it says "online multiplayer included", but the thing is, we was unable to find out
how this wonderful thing works.

Help us out! I need an link for a something guide-like for "How to play SM online via hamachi or something".
Have a look at the tutorial linked from the PNF front page maybe? :)
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

uqraider
ZEXy Beast

Post by uqraider » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:17 am

We cant connect to each other.
Seems like we have no choice but to follow this tutorial http://www.star-control.com/netrouter.php to get it work.

upd.
But isnt all ports become open when you switch your firewalls (including a-v one) off?

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:44 am

Sometimes it just doesn't work, no matter what.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

uqraider
ZEXy Beast

Post by uqraider » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:41 am

Too bad.

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Tiberian wrote:Sometimes it just doesn't work, no matter what.
No.

Let's just be clear, networks are complicated. They are just made of machines following instructions. It's not like a network or a computer can have a bad day and just refuse to work.

If it doesn't work no matter what, then it's a bug, or you're doing it wrong. Chances are, it's #2 since it's really difficult for your average user to open ports on firewalls. It's a pain for me, and I have 20 years of IT experience doing it. I can't play my friend online during lunch because he has no access to change corporate firewalls. This goes for many people in schools, but that doesn't mean it's a bug in the game.

If we could get it on Steam, we can use their tools to make it much easier. I just need the programming help to implement it. Even Steam can be blocked though.

There are tools to help you like this: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
If neither can connect, then contact me. Perhaps it is a bug.

I've been working on a 3D Star Control game based on the XNA/Mono platform. This is going to have a slew of network features that hopefully help with connectivity issues. I just finished the UI for chat and to create lobbies, join servers, and create servers. The programmer for "SC-3D" has made the existing engine' s networking look like a child's toy.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!