What Does Annoy You The Most In Super Meele?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: What Does Annoy You The Most In Super Meele?

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:25 pm

oldlaptop wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:Ok, I just discovered another one: The Ilwrath Avenger. This ship is simply not fast enough for me and I am absolutely terrible at using the cloaking device!
The speed problem is quite simple to solve: use the planet! Ilwrath is massive enough that it gets an impressive boost from a gravity whip, and that tactic is pretty universal in netmelee.
You’re absolutely right, and I’ve been practicing after reading some of these tips and I’m getting much better at doing gravity whips while cloaked, if for nothing else but style points.

But I think your mentioning of the massive size of the Ilwrath ship made me remember something from my past. That’s right! It’s time once again for some Star Control 1 nostalgia!

When I first bought Star Control as a kid, my friend and I would play against each other. Back then you’d either have to share the keyboard and customize your buttons, or one player could use a joystick, but mine was much better suited for flight simulator games. Anyways, when we first noticed the planets he asked, “How can they build ships as big as planets?” We laughed, and even actually entertained the idea that our ships were to scale and indeed as large as planets and each crew "dot” must represent hundreds of thousands, or perhaps even millions of people/aliens! Just for fun, we’d sometimes break off our attacks on each other, form a temporary alliance and join forces, and proceed to bombard the planet! Good times.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Bleeding Star wrote:Supox vs AI Chmmr. Urghhh. I know I can beat them, but do I have the fucking patience? (usually not)
I used up an entire fleet of Supox Blades and couldn’t even put a dent in one Chmmr Avatar! The ZapSats blocked everything I could dish out, and if I tried to get closer, the combination of ZapSats and Laser destroyed my ships before I could inflict any significant damage. Is there a better strategy I should try?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:27 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
Bleeding Star wrote:Supox vs AI Chmmr. Urghhh. I know I can beat them, but do I have the fucking patience? (usually not)
I used up an entire fleet of Supox Blades and couldn’t even put a dent in one Chmmr Avatar! The ZapSats blocked everything I could dish out, and if I tried to get closer, the combination of ZapSats and Laser destroyed my ships before I could inflict any significant damage. Is there a better strategy I should try?
The AI is stupid. The Supox can attack and reverse simultaneously. Together, this allows you to constantly reverse, firing up your battery, recharging said battery, and so on and so forth. Most of the fire will miss, but occasionally one of the shots will hit one of the ZapSats. Eventually, the ZapSats will die, and you can kill the Avatar.

Obviously, this tactic is generally non-functional against human opponents.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Shift to face the right side of the Chmmr. That's the side the zapsats will be approaching you, so you get many more shots through that way.

ONLY fire if you have battery available and can put up a strong sustained stream.

Occasionally back off and locate the planet so you don't bump into it. Only do this with the Chmmr chasing you south.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Quasispatial wrote: The AI is stupid. The Supox can attack and reverse simultaneously. Together, this allows you to constantly reverse, firing up your battery, recharging said battery, and so on and so forth. Most of the fire will miss, but occasionally one of the shots will hit one of the ZapSats. Eventually, the ZapSats will die, and you can kill the Avatar.

Obviously, this tactic is generally non-functional against human opponents.
You can still sort of do it against a human opponent, though it's a little harder. The real reason it doesn't work is that your opponent will get bored and close the game. :P-smf
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:03 am

Well, the Chmmr player can slingshot, which makes things much less convenient for the Supox.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:58 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:
The AI is stupid. The Supox can attack and reverse simultaneously. Together, this allows you to constantly reverse, firing up your battery, recharging said battery, and so on and so forth. Most of the fire will miss, but occasionally one of the shots will hit one of the ZapSats. Eventually, the ZapSats will die, and you can kill the Avatar.
Death 999 wrote:Shift to face the right side of the Chmmr. That's the side the zapsats will be approaching you, so you get many more shots through that way.

ONLY fire if you have battery available and can put up a strong sustained stream.

Occasionally back off and locate the planet so you don't bump into it. Only do this with the Chmmr chasing you south.
So I tried it again, using the techniques described, and I finally took down a Chmmr Avatar!

I definitely need more practice since it took me many ships to accomplish this feat; I kept accidentally releasing the secondary button when I meant to cease fire and recharge, which would cause me to thrust forward when I should have been going in reverse, which obviously would lead me directly into the hornet’s nest and a quick destruction.

Now I can at least put up a fight better, thanks to the advice in strategy, but I must agree with Bleeding Star, I probably won’t usually have the patience either!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:41 pm

palmpet wrote:VUX Intruder... one time I was a vux intruder up against a computer mycon the match wouldn't end and I was trying to die!
Just for grins, after reading this, I tried using a fleet of VUX Intruders against a fleet of Mycon Podships.

Uh, not the most fun match. The VUX is soooo incredibly slow that I’m busy just trying to find a planet to gain speed, but I still have to try to turn the ship slowly around to blast an incoming plasmoid.

Then, when I’ve finally done the gravity whip, it doesn’t really get any easier, with the exception of maybe getting into better position for limpet deployment. At this point though the danger of getting hit by plasmoids seemed to increase, since I could no longer control my direction and speed as easily, and would sometimes find myself flying towards a compact plasmoid full-bore. Not good!

Even with limpets attached, I still found it troublesome to get in range and blast the Podship; I’d either come in too fast and bounce off it or find myself in “no man’s land” trying to chase after the Mycon while it would send one plasma ball after another until I was done. Burn.

Then, sometimes my next ship that arrived would take 2 powerful hits right off the bat since I’ve entered in close-range due to the VUX sneak attack ability. Talk about backfire!

I put up an ok fight I guess, but ultimately lost while the Mycons still had a few ships left. I would love to hear from anybody else if they have any thoughts or perhaps some strategies to try out.

palmpet
Ilwrath torturer
Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.

Post by palmpet » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:06 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:
palmpet wrote:VUX Intruder... one time I was a vux intruder up against a computer mycon the match wouldn't end and I was trying to die!
Just for grins, after reading this, I tried using a fleet of VUX Intruders against a fleet of Mycon Podships.

Uh, not the most fun match. The VUX is soooo incredibly slow that I’m busy just trying to find a planet to gain speed, but I still have to try to turn the ship slowly around to blast an incoming plasmoid.

Then, when I’ve finally done the gravity whip, it doesn’t really get any easier, with the exception of maybe getting into better position for limpet deployment. At this point though the danger of getting hit by plasmoids seemed to increase, since I could no longer control my direction and speed as easily, and would sometimes find myself flying towards a compact plasmoid full-bore. Not good!

Even with limpets attached, I still found it troublesome to get in range and blast the Podship; I’d either come in too fast and bounce off it or find myself in “no man’s land” trying to chase after the Mycon while it would send one plasma ball after another until I was done. Burn.

Then, sometimes my next ship that arrived would take 2 powerful hits right off the bat since I’ve entered in close-range due to the VUX sneak attack ability. Talk about backfire!

I put up an ok fight I guess, but ultimately lost while the Mycons still had a few ships left. I would love to hear from anybody else if they have any thoughts or perhaps some strategies to try out.
yeah not very fun... I was only up against one and it lasted at least 5 minutes!
"What's the point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."