Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:12 pm 
Pkunk Elder

Stardock's CEO Brad is a Gamergate supporter and has written an article on the issue. He's also did an interview at the Escapist.

Does this negatively or positively impact your feelings on the next Star Control? I'm just curious about everyone's opinions.

Bonus: the tweet that haunts my nightmares:

Post subject: Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:25 am 
Pootworm

Initially, no. Because I had never heard of Gamergate*. After reading those two articles I still didn't know. And after reading enough to know what Gamergate proponents say are the virtues of Gamergate versus what its detractors claim, I still have no opinion, I think I'd have to follow it for a while to form one. But if gaming journalism is even worse than normal journalism it could be worthy.

Frogboy wrote:
an on-sight personal trainer
Again! I'm tempted to investigate whether he knows what he's saying here . . .

*Wait, maybe this is a question for actual gamers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:59 pm 
Hunam adventurer

I'd be more concerned if Brad would somehow express his desire to affect game design, aesthetics or narrative based on some political views, even then I'm not sure how much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:52 pm 
Wise Pkunk

Saria wrote:
Stardock's CEO Brad is a Gamergate supporter and has written an article on the issue. He's also did an interview at the Escapist.

Does this negatively or positively impact your feelings on the next Star Control? I'm just curious about everyone's opinions.

That first link doesn't seem to be about gamersgate - it's more about the lawsuit from his perspective. I found both articles fairly incoherent: kinda hard to determine exactly what went down. It does make me a little cautious, but to be honest my hopes are not high in the first place for a non-TfB Star Control game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:25 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Saria wrote:
Stardock's CEO Brad is a Gamergate supporter and has written an article on the issue. He's also did an interview at the Escapist. <br abp="929"><br abp="930">Does this negatively or positively impact your feelings on the next Star Control? I'm just curious about everyone's opinions. <br abp="931"><br abp="932">Bonus: the tweet that haunts my nightmares:<br abp="933">Image

Lol, "I will do pretty much anything". Let's hope Brad can keep his pants on this time, cause we all know what Zoe does to get her way. God damn, so first Anita Sarkeesian is allowed to join the Dev team of Mirror's Edge 2, and now Zoe Quinn wants to work on Star Control 2? I pray to Odin she's just joking. Imagine: the return of the hideously ugly Syreen, Utwig moodiness multiplied a thousand fold, Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah conflict turned into a social justice war in which all the races of the galaxy are force to choose sides. I would not pay money for that game, that's for damn sure. Politics aside, Zoe simply isn't a game dev. Her resume is severely lacking in that the only "game" she constructed was a shitty choose your own adventure written in HTML, which is exactly what I did as a middle school programming project. I'm equally, if not more so qualified, to be brought on board that dev team, according to Zoe. Trust me, you do NOT want me on that Dev team lol.

Anybody who has done any level of extensive research on the Gamergate issue will inevitably join the Gamer's side. For those not aware, the goals of Gamergate include, among other things:
* A strict level of transparency and ethical standards in game journalism (The example here involves non gamer sites yes, but they are all owned by Gawker media, who also owns Kotaku, the biggest offender in Gamergate)
* The removal of political agendas and conflicts of interest from objective game reviews
* The treatment of women and minority groups as regular people and not political shields
* To stop the bullying, manipulation, and coercion of game Devs and journalists whom don't follow the proper political agenda
* To stop gaming websites from propagating the idea that all gamers are "Fat, smelly, white, cisgendered male Misogynists", or in one case, "Terrorists".
* To stop judges and game reviewers from sleeping with their own subjects.
* To stop the shameless censorship taking place on reddit and other websites involved with the issue, including this very forum perhaps. One of my posts related to Brad Wardell was actually deleted without any kind of notification or reason given.
* To stop the racketeering and rigged contests involving indie games
* To disband the game journalist cabal: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/09 ... -the-list/

and most important
* To get game journalists and other personnel to fess up and admit their mistakes instead of trying to escalate the issue to an irrelevant social justice cause.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:54 pm 
Wise Pkunk

I disagree strongly, but I don't want to re-open the whole gamersgate hoohah, except in the context that Saria brought it up.

I.e. Brad's defence of gamersgate does concern me, but not a lot, and I'm holding a wait and see attitude about any Star Control product from Stardock.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:22 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Nuclear wrote:
Saria wrote:
Stardock's CEO Brad is a Gamergate supporter and has written an article on the issue. He's also did an interview at the Escapist. <br abp="929"><br abp="930">Does this negatively or positively impact your feelings on the next Star Control? I'm just curious about everyone's opinions. <br abp="931"><br abp="932">Bonus: the tweet that haunts my nightmares:<br abp="933">Image

Lol, "I will do pretty much anything". Let's hope Brad can keep his pants on this time, cause we all know what Zoe does to get her way. God damn, so first Anita Sarkeesian is allowed to join the Dev team of Mirror's Edge 2, and now Zoe Quinn wants to work on Star Control 2? I pray to Odin she's just joking. Imagine: the return of the hideously ugly Syreen, Utwig moodiness multiplied a thousand fold, Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah conflict turned into a social justice war in which all the races of the galaxy are force to choose sides. I would not pay money for that game, that's for damn sure. Politics aside, Zoe simply isn't a game dev. Her resume is severely lacking in that the only "game" she constructed was a shitty choose your own adventure written in HTML, which is exactly what I did as a middle school programming project. I'm equally, if not more so qualified, to be brought on board that dev team, according to Zoe. Trust me, you do NOT want me on that Dev team lol.

Anybody who has done any level of extensive research on the Gamergate issue will inevitably join the Gamer's side. For those not aware, the goals of Gamergate include, among other things:
* A strict level of transparency and ethical standards in game journalism (The example here involves non gamer sites yes, but they are all owned by Gawker media, who also owns Kotaku, the biggest offender in Gamergate)
* The removal of political agendas and conflicts of interest from objective game reviews
* The treatment of women and minority groups as regular people and not political shields
* To stop the bullying, manipulation, and coercion of game Devs and journalists whom don't follow the proper political agenda
* To stop gaming websites from propagating the idea that all gamers are "Fat, smelly, white, cisgendered male Misogynists", or in one case, "Terrorists".
* To stop judges and game reviewers from sleeping with their own subjects.
* To stop the shameless censorship taking place on reddit and other websites involved with the issue, including this very forum perhaps. One of my posts related to Brad Wardell was actually deleted without any kind of notification or reason given.
* To stop the racketeering and rigged contests involving indie games
* To disband the game journalist cabal: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/09 ... -the-list/

and most important
* To get game journalists and other personnel to fess up and admit their mistakes instead of trying to escalate the issue to an irrelevant social justice cause.

Stop believing in fairytales, these things will NEVER happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

Indeed. It would require drastic alterations to the current model of advertising, at the very least, which is simply not going to happen since there's too much money at stake.

And that's just the business aspect of it, never mind the whole social side of the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:12 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Angelfish wrote:

"We may get our atoms rearranged in the process but, by god captain, we're gonna' try!"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:57 am 
Slylandro gasbags

Nuclear wrote:
Angelfish wrote:

"We may get our atoms rearranged in the process but, by god captain, we're gonna' try!"

I think first step is actually trying to give a fuck, which doesn't really seem the case :).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next