SCII Voice Acting

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tsing
Lurker Extraordinaire

Re: SCII Voice Acting

Post by Tsing » Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Zarnium wrote:Does anyone know what Fred and Paul think about the voices? I know that they were involved, and that Paul himself provided the voice for the Mycon and Talking Pet.
I remember the topic did come up briefly in the original IRC chat - relevant parts below :)

<Mephisto_> Fwiffo: Did you hire the voice-actors for the 3DO version of SC2, do all of the voices sound like you would've imagined them to sound?
<Fwiffo> We hired a number of local voice-actors for some parts, and we did the rest in-house. Greg Johnson was the Orz, Paul was the Talking Pet.
<Mephisto_> So do your aliens sound how you originally wanted them to sound?
<Fwiffo> Yes, for the most part. -- except for the Starbase commander who didn't really speak his lines with authority.
<Mephisto_> Okay, sorry...some people disagreed with how some of the voices sound, especially the Orz.
<Fwiffo> You know, when it comes to voices, I was talking about the 3DO version -- I have no idea how the SC3 voices sound since I never played that game.
You WILL be annigilated... I mean annihigated.. damn!

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Sat May 04, 2013 1:48 am

Tsing wrote:
Zarnium wrote:Does anyone know what Fred and Paul think about the voices? I know that they were involved, and that Paul himself provided the voice for the Mycon and Talking Pet.
I remember the topic did come up briefly in the original IRC chat - relevant parts below :)

<Mephisto_> Fwiffo: Did you hire the voice-actors for the 3DO version of SC2, do all of the voices sound like you would've imagined them to sound?
<Fwiffo> We hired a number of local voice-actors for some parts, and we did the rest in-house. Greg Johnson was the Orz, Paul was the Talking Pet.
<Mephisto_> So do your aliens sound how you originally wanted them to sound?
<Fwiffo> Yes, for the most part. -- except for the Starbase commander who didn't really speak his lines with authority.
<Mephisto_> Okay, sorry...some people disagreed with how some of the voices sound, especially the Orz.
<Fwiffo> You know, when it comes to voices, I was talking about the 3DO version -- I have no idea how the SC3 voices sound since I never played that game.
Thanks!

I agree with them. Concerns about whether the voices fit aside, Commander Hayes has the weakest delivery.

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Sat May 04, 2013 2:34 am

Zarnium wrote:...Commander Hayes has the weakest delivery.
...which is unfortunate, considering he's the guy you talk to most in the game. :|
glory_device wrote:For me, the Chmrr retains the gentle and calm nature of the Chenjesu. In a strict sense, I don't expect them to be commanding or authoritative...Mechanical in the style of voicing perhaps...But, more of a gentle benevolent sound than a ''commanding officer'' type of voice.
Yeah, maybe "commanding and authoritative" were the wrong words for me to use. I guess I just wanted them to sound more assertive, but the voice-acting comes across more passive to me. I dunno; I'm probably being unclear. It just rubbed me the wrong way. :|

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Sat May 04, 2013 2:51 am

I know it's another controversial one, but SCII's Chmmr is another one of my favorite voices. SC3's is ok; I'm more annoyed with how the Chmmr were used in the story than anything else about them.

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Sat May 04, 2013 10:12 am

Zarnium wrote:
Lobsterman wrote: Nope! I was a bit reluctant to try the HD version since I read that it was just in alpha with quite a few bugs, so I decided to wait. Maybe I'll have to check it out though, I'm guessing it is somehow different from the original "urgh urhg *moan*"-Robert-Smith-has-diarrhea-voice?
Yep, The Utwig dialogue has been completely re-recorded:

While I still don't think the original is all that bad, I have to admit, this is a lot better.

I just played through the HD version, and the only problems it has are several small graphical glitches. Gameplay-wise, it's completely stable.
That wasn't bad at all! Not spot-on I guess, but a lot better than the regular one.

Tormuse wrote:I grew up with the version without the voices and I strongly tend to prefer that one. Admittedly, I don't have much experience playing with the voices turned on, but if the above clip of the Utwig is any indication of what it's like, then I'm not missing much. I mean... he's speaking so matter-of-factly, when he's supposed to be in agony. How can he speak so calmly when he's describing his own soul-rending anguish? I mean, yeah, if it's melodramatic, it might ruin it by going too far the other way, but c'mon, he can at least *try* to put a bit of emotion into it! :| (And if this is an improvement on the original, I shudder to think what the original is like!)
If this is what you want then you might actually LIKE the original! Click if you dare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMVQ1eLDOE
glory_device wrote:For me, the Chmrr retains the gentle and calm nature of the Chenjesu. In a strict sense, I don't expect them to be commanding or authoritative...Mechanical in the style of voicing perhaps...But, more of a gentle benevolent sound than a ''commanding officer'' type of voice.

However, it makes me realize how hard it must actually be to do voice-acting for animated movies...
The Chmmr = I AM A ROBOT, I TALK IN A MONOTONE VOICE TO SHOW THAT I AM A ROBOT. I ALSO TALK IN CAPS. THIS IS BECAUSE I AM A ROBOT.

It ruined everything to me. This amazing hybrid of living crystals fused with machines so intelligent they were considered an actual alien race, and all they manage to invoke is the feeling of the simpsons episode where Homer stands in front of a mirror that makes him look blocky and says "I AM A ROBOT, DO AS I SAY".

A bit of a bizarre idea I guess, but if I had my way they'd scrap voice acting entirely for the chmmr and instead used the sound of electrical discharges as their speech. Think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_YSF7mRSs0 just dissonant and without a clear pattern or melody. Or, I guess if they sung the imperial march through electrical discharges, that'd be pretty badass as well.

zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy » Sat May 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Chrmmr using a combination of cylon voices blended into crystalline sounds?

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Sun May 05, 2013 2:32 am

zenzmurfy wrote:Chrmmr using a combination of cylon voices blended into crystalline sounds?
I have no idea what a cylon is!

zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy » Sun May 05, 2013 4:19 am

Lobsterman wrote:
zenzmurfy wrote:Chrmmr using a combination of cylon voices blended into crystalline sounds?
I have no idea what a cylon is!
Cylons are robots from "Battlestar Galactica". In this case, I am referring to the show from 1979, not the remake.

Steve-O
Hunam adventurer

Post by Steve-O » Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Zarnium wrote: I think that the player's reaction to the voices depends on whether they first played the game with them or not. I'm sure a lot of people who played the computer version had their own ideas about what the voices sounded like, and those could've been shattered by the 3DO voices.
Having played SC2 since it's original release exclusively on PC, I was never privy to the voice acting elements until my most recent play-through of UQM just last year. I have to say that the voice, by and large, proved to be a significant improvement in the experience, for me.

They didn't ALL sound like I imagined them, but most of them were spot on. My least favourites are probably the VUX (ridiculous accent) and the Utwig (though fitting, the voice is just so darn annoying.) Hayes's delivery may have been a little flat, but I honestly didn't mind it all that much.

So, I guess that's my reaction for you. =)
Zarnium wrote: Have you heard the Utwig in the new HD version?
I had not heard it until I watched the linked video. I have downloaded the HD alpha but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

I do like this voice a lot better than the "original" 3DO voice. There seems to be a lot of audio popping going on, but as a fan-project I suppose I can't complain about that too much. I also notice the voice actor skipped a couple of (inconsequential) words in the dialogue here and there, but I do find the voice itself to be a large improvement so I look forward to playing with this one in the future.

I also dislike the pronunciation "Uht-wig" which the new voice actor uses. IIRC, the 3DO Utwig pronounce themselves "OOT-wig," and I prefer that one. =P

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Sun May 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Lobsterman wrote: If this is what you want then you might actually LIKE the original! Click if you dare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMVQ1eLDOE
[/spoiler]
Haha, funnily enough, I do kinda prefer it; at least it's easier to laugh at. :P But I can definitely see why it's unpopular; aside from the fact that the voice is really grating to listen to for an extended period, the high pitch of the voice seems incongruous with the image of the dark, brooding Utwig. Frankly, neither of the Utwig voices sound like what's in my head, but if they combined the lower, gravelly sound of the new one with the... er... passion of the older one, they might be close. :)
Steve-O wrote:I also dislike the pronunciation "Uht-wig" which the new voice actor uses. IIRC, the 3DO Utwig pronounce themselves "OOT-wig," and I prefer that one. =P
Funny, I've always mentally pronounced it "Uht-wig." Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :)