SCII Voice Acting

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Zarnium
Silly Supox

SCII Voice Acting

Post by Zarnium » Thu May 02, 2013 2:30 pm

The voice acting is probably the most controversial part of Star Control II. Some love it, some hate it. Personally, while I admit that the voice acting isn't top-notch, most of it is still fairly good, and to me, it's part of the quintessential Star Control experience. Some voices, like the VUX and Mycon, are great, and fit the personality and dialogue of those races very well. The Kzer-za and Kohr-Ah have fittingly menacing, powerful voices. Others aren't quite so good; The Yehat are way too melodramatic, and Commander Hayes is a little flat and occasionally sounds like he's trying not to laugh. Several of the races seem to have good voices, but have too many effects added to them, like the Spathi and Orz. I actually like the original whiny Utwig voice, and I think it matches their unjustified and overly dramatic depression. My only complaint with them is that after you fix the Ultron, they continue to sound whiny and depressed.

I think that the player's reaction to the voices depends on whether they first played the game with them or not. I'm sure a lot of people who played the computer version had their own ideas about what the voices sounded like, and those could've been shattered by the 3DO voices.

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Re: SCII Voice Acting

Post by Lobsterman » Thu May 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Zarnium wrote: I think that the player's reaction to the voices depends on whether they first played the game with them or not. I'm sure a lot of people who played the computer version had their own ideas about what the voices sounded like, and those could've been shattered by the 3DO voices.
Pretty much! The Orz one was the worst for me, it just took away all their menacing creepiness. The Pkunk was also a bit difficult to deal with since it's I already found them kinda annoying, the Utwig was horrendous and I still haven't gotten used to it, and a few, like the Spathi, Umgah and the Ur Quans are actually rather good imo.

It's strangely enough hard for me to go back to not having voices now though, but I did prefer it that way since I grew up with the version without voiceacting.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 pm

I actually think the Orz voice enhances the generally creepy feel, by deepening the contrast, the dissonance between their seemingly happy and friendly personality and the terrifyingly incomprehensible truth which lies below it all.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

spathilowcouncil
Silly Supox

Post by spathilowcouncil » Thu May 02, 2013 7:34 pm

i think the orz voice is trying to seduce me!

"is it time for *playing* yet?" and combine that with the voice, it almost feels like in SC2 the orz were seducing people and now in SC3 it sound like a young school girl MURDERER!

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Thu May 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Does anyone know what Fred and Paul think about the voices? I know that they were involved, and that Paul himself provided the voice for the Mycon and Talking Pet.
Lobsterman wrote: Pretty much! The Orz one was the worst for me, it just took away all their menacing creepiness. The Pkunk was also a bit difficult to deal with since it's I already found them kinda annoying, the Utwig was horrendous and I still haven't gotten used to it, and a few, like the Spathi, Umgah and the Ur Quans are actually rather good imo.
Have you heard the Utwig in the new HD version?

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Thu May 02, 2013 11:59 pm

For me some voices were spot on (Fwiffo is perhaps my favorite one!) while other are a bit flat. I guess it all depends on the perspective that you look at a given race.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Fri May 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Zarnium wrote:Does anyone know what Fred and Paul think about the voices? I know that they were involved, and that Paul himself provided the voice for the Mycon and Talking Pet.
Lobsterman wrote: Pretty much! The Orz one was the worst for me, it just took away all their menacing creepiness. The Pkunk was also a bit difficult to deal with since it's I already found them kinda annoying, the Utwig was horrendous and I still haven't gotten used to it, and a few, like the Spathi, Umgah and the Ur Quans are actually rather good imo.
Have you heard the Utwig in the new HD version?
Nope! I was a bit reluctant to try the HD version since I read that it was just in alpha with quite a few bugs, so I decided to wait. Maybe I'll have to check it out though, I'm guessing it is somehow different from the original "urgh urhg *moan*"-Robert-Smith-has-diarrhea-voice?

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Fri May 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Lobsterman wrote: Nope! I was a bit reluctant to try the HD version since I read that it was just in alpha with quite a few bugs, so I decided to wait. Maybe I'll have to check it out though, I'm guessing it is somehow different from the original "urgh urhg *moan*"-Robert-Smith-has-diarrhea-voice?
Yep, The Utwig dialogue has been completely re-recorded:

While I still don't think the original is all that bad, I have to admit, this is a lot better.

I just played through the HD version, and the only problems it has are several small graphical glitches. Gameplay-wise, it's completely stable.

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Fri May 03, 2013 6:59 pm

I grew up with the version without the voices and I strongly tend to prefer that one. Admittedly, I don't have much experience playing with the voices turned on, but if the above clip of the Utwig is any indication of what it's like, then I'm not missing much. I mean... he's speaking so matter-of-factly, when he's supposed to be in agony. How can he speak so calmly when he's describing his own soul-rending anguish? I mean, yeah, if it's melodramatic, it might ruin it by going too far the other way, but c'mon, he can at least *try* to put a bit of emotion into it! :| (And if this is an improvement on the original, I shudder to think what the original is like!)
Zarnium wrote: I think that the player's reaction to the voices depends on whether they first played the game with them or not. I'm sure a lot of people who played the computer version had their own ideas about what the voices sounded like, and those could've been shattered by the 3DO voices.
I think this is true. The voice-actors simply can't possibly match what's in my head. I think the voice that bothered me most was the Chmmr. I mean I can't remember if it was the same in SC2, but I do vividly remember playing SC3 back in the day and being really irritated by the dull monotone the Chmmr talked in, when I imagined them speaking in a commanding, authoritative voice. C'mon! They're supposed to be the leaders of the Alliance, here! That was the moment I turned the voices off and never turned them back on again.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 pm

For me, the Chmrr retains the gentle and calm nature of the Chenjesu. In a strict sense, I don't expect them to be commanding or authoritative...Mechanical in the style of voicing perhaps...But, more of a gentle benevolent sound than a ''commanding officer'' type of voice.

However, it makes me realize how hard it must actually be to do voice-acting for animated movies...
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo