No Earth game (SC2 Spoilers)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Re: No Earth game (SC2 Spoilers)

Post by Tormuse » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:40 am

Do any of these versions warn you if the planet is just off-screen during combat? I just recovered the Syreen fleet from Ur-Quan territory and on the way there, I think I lost as many crew to collisions with the planet as I did to the Ur-Quan! :P
Death 999 wrote:I think you can use F10 or F11 to quit. Or is it F1? One of the F-keys, anyway.
F10 works in Super Melee, but it doesn't seem to work in the full game. :|

Also, holy crap! You can trade the Shofixti Maidens to the Druuge for 6 Mauler ships! :o I never knew that! Now, I'm feeling torn, because on the one hand, I can't bring the Shofixti back anyway, and it would be a huge boon for my fleet, but on the other hand, somehow... it feels very wrong, knowing what the Druuge intend to do with them. Even though it's just a fictional game, I find the concept disturbing enough that I might not do the pragmatic thing here. :|

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

You have to keep track of the planet in your head. If you tend to travel along cardinal directions, that helps.

UQM uses the best of DOS and 3DO platforms for planet landing - large field from 3DO and comprehensible scan data from DOS.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Tormuse wrote:Also, holy crap! You can trade the Shofixti Maidens to the Druuge for 6 Mauler ships! :o I never knew that! Now, I'm feeling torn, because on the one hand, I can't bring the Shofixti back anyway, and it would be a huge boon for my fleet, but on the other hand, somehow... it feels very wrong, knowing what the Druuge intend to do with them. Even though it's just a fictional game, I find the concept disturbing enough that I might not do the pragmatic thing here. :|
The game's pretty powerful, isn't it...???
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:55 pm

Dyandod wrote: The game's pretty powerful, isn't it...???
Yeah, but I sold the Shofixti, anyway. In the end, curiosity won out; I was wondering what would happen if I did it and I'm probably never going to play a game where it's so advantageous to do it again.
Death 999 wrote:You have to keep track of the planet in your head. If you tend to travel along cardinal directions, that helps.
I try... believe me, I try... but either I keep drifting off course, or the planet moves around. It's more likely the former, but I haven't ruled out the latter. :P Hell, forget about ending slavery to the Ur-Quan; we should try to end the tyranny of the planets! We could rename the game "Star Control 2, the Planet Masters." :D

EDIT: And on an unrelated note, I just spoke with the Chmmr at Procyon and noticed a couple of funny things:

1) Their planet is -211 degrees Celsius! :o No wonder it would take them so long to merge using only the power of their sun! Do you have any idea how cold that is?!? Earth's atmosphere would turn to liquid at that temperature! It's only 60 degrees above what's known as "absolute zero," the temperature at which all atomic motion ceases! That's crazy cold, dude! :|

2) They say that the Sa-Matra destroyed their finest Broodhome vessels at ten times their weapons' range. The funny thing with that is the Broodhome's range is based on how long you can hold your finger on the fire button. Now, I have this image in my head of the captain of the Chenjesu ship saying, "Keep your finger on that fire button; we've almost got them!" and the weapons officer says, "I can't... I can't hold it any longer! AAAHH!" *Ka-boom!* :P

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:40 am

Heehee! I did it! :D

The rest of the game was pretty simple: After the really hard part of getting the Syreen ships out of Ur-Quan space, the rest was fairly simple. I faced down the 5 Mycon Podships guarding the Sun Device. (by now, I've taken down quite a few of them with Pkunk Furies, so it wasn't too bad) I traded the Burvix 'Caster for the Rosy Sphere, (easy) took out the Umgah guarding the Dnyarri with my Druuge Maulers, (I lost two Maulers, but otherwise, also not too bad) I picked up the Aqua Helix from the now dead Thraddash, (also easy) got the broken Ultron from the Supox, (easy) fixed it and gave it to the Utwig and fought the five Druuge Maulers for the Utwig bomb. (took out all 5 with my starting Earthling Cruiser and only got hit once! Easier than I expected!) And then, I visited the Chmmr, they transported me back to Earth, and...

And when I faced Commander Hayes, he started saying all the stuff he says when you meet him the very first time, complete with flickering lights and everything. :lol: And the configuration of my ship, visible at the right, showed the Utwig Bomb and Chmmr crystals in place. The trouble is, since I now have unlimited RU and no Storage Bays, the game doesn't register that I have any radioactives, so the game is in an infinite loop, where Hayes keeps asking me to get the radioactives and I can't do anything. (He still gave me a free lander, though, the same way he does if you lose your lander at the beginning of the game) So... I guess I have my answer, then. :P

Maybe I should download UQM so I can do it properly. :)

EDIT: I tried it a couple more times with this version, first with delivering the radioactives before visiting the Chmmr, (at which point it went into an infinite loop, telling me to go visit the moonbase and I can't do anything) and then, delivering the radioactives and visiting the moonbase before visiting the Chmmr. This time, it actually seemed to work properly, except that the part where I'm supposed to face the damaged Ilwrath ship at the beginning, the screen flickered, and it flipped back to Hayes and he continued the dialogue as if I had just destroyed the Ilwrath ship. Then, I got treated to (almost) every bulletin in the game at once! :lol: Each bulletin was separated by Hayes saying "Also..." so he used that word a lot. :P (8 bulletins in total) Curiously, he didn't give the most important bulletin about the Utwig Bomb on my ship! :) Also, there was one bulletin I didn't recognize, in which Hayes remarked that 6 of his crew members suddenly fell unconscious at once and, after they recovered, reported a feeling that something very wrong had taken place, and the only correlation the med techs could find was that they all had high esper potential. Huh! I wonder what I did that triggered that? ???-smf Was it the Shofixti trading? Or maybe it has something to do with the Dnyarri? Hmm...

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm

That was Kohr-Ah victory, I think. Or the demise of the Pkunk...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:47 am

Alvarin wrote:That was Kohr-Ah victory, I think. Or the demise of the Pkunk...
The latter, IIRC.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:57 am

Yeah, I think it was the Pkunk dying. In previous games, I would always send them back when they started heading over to the Yehat, but this time, there didn't seem to be any point, because no Shofixti resuscitation means no Yehat rebellion, so I can't stop the Pkunk from getting killed.

It couldn't have been the Kohr-Ah victory because it was still April, 2158, and I'm pretty sure they don't win their battle until 2159.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:02 am

It gives you a couple more years to go back and get Pkunk ships if you mess up and lose them. Or is it months?

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:36 am

I thought that the Pkunk survive anyway even if the revolution hasn't started yet - as long as you eventually get around to starting the revolution.