No Earth game (SC2 Spoilers)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Re: No Earth game (SC2 Spoilers)

Post by Tormuse » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:23 am

Dabir wrote:It gives you a couple more years to go back and get Pkunk ships if you mess up and lose them. Or is it months?
If I hadn't read the spoiler files, I wouldn't know what you meant. :P According to what I read, you can get four more Pkunk Fury reinforcements from their homeworld if they're still alive a year later. (I never knew that!) So, yes, sending them back home gives you a bit more time to do that.
Death 999 wrote:I thought that the Pkunk survive anyway even if the revolution hasn't started yet - as long as you eventually get around to starting the revolution.
That's possible... Although, the "feeling that something very wrong just took place" makes me wonder about that. Also, I visited the Pkunk homeworld and it was in a ruined state. Anyway, I won't find out this game, because I sold the Shofixti Maidens to the Druuge. :|

And on an unrelated note, I found UQM for Android! I can play it on my smartphone; how awesome is that? :D

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah, everything seems like they totally died. I think that happens whether or not there's a revolution on.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Yeah, the united Yehat and the Royalist Yehat have the same dialogue when you ask about the Pkunk. Take it from someone who takes forever to do anything, you don't have to start the revolution before the Pkunk get there.

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Just thought I'd revive this thread to say that I'm trying this again with the UQM version. (The above-mentioned version that I downloaded for my Android smartphone) :) The controls have taken some getting used to, but I've already gotten past the first major hurdle and gotten to Beta Corvi to get the Slylandro destruct code. I'm not sure how many Probes I've destroyed this time, because this version doesn't display my RU count on the cargo screen. :|

This time around, I found it helpful to save it any time I emerged from a Probe battle and then reload the save any time a Probe spawned ahead of me instead of behind me. It saves me a few seconds each time and means I have to fight fewer Probes. I also discovered that if you attack the Probes first every time without ever conversing with them, you lose the part of the dialogue tree with the Slylandro homeworld where you tell them that their probes are attacking people.

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:53 am

I'm still working on this game. :) I got the Portal Spawner and the Burvixese Caster and sent the Ilwrath at the Thraddash. I got the Clear Spindle from the Pkunk and the four Pkunk Furies. I cleared the Evil Ones from the Spathi homeworld and I got the Taalo Shield from Orz space. Right now, I'm making my way to Zeta Sextantis for the Rainbow World there to keep my credits up, although I have enough from all the life forms I've collected to get all the lander technologies and enough information to turn the Syreen against the Mycon. After I visit the Rainbow World, I intend to go to Mycon territory to collect Mycon egg case fragments and replenish my crew fighting the Mycon. :)

I'm noticing a lot of differences between the UQM version and the original. Aside from the dialogue being dumbed down a bit, they've also made some changes to gameplay, such as the lander only holding 50 kilotons, instead of 64. Most of the time, it isn't a big deal, but on high gravity worlds, the loss of 25% of my storage capacity is pretty noticable. :| The other difference I notice is the planet life form AI. They're considerably more aggressive! :o At one point, before I got the life form protection upgrade, I had 6 or 7 of those green, hopping dinosaur things chasing me all the way around the planet twice, (I wish I'd had Benny Hill music playing) :P with me occasionally turning around to fire one or two shots before turning back and running some more. I mean sure, sometimes in the original game, they'll chase you for a while if you let them, but until this game, I never had several descend on me at once from all over the map!

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Tormuse wrote: I'm noticing a lot of differences between the UQM version and the original. Aside from the dialogue being dumbed down a bit, they've also made some changes to gameplay, such as the lander only holding 50 kilotons, instead of 64. Most of the time, it isn't a big deal, but on high gravity worlds, the loss of 25% of my storage capacity is pretty noticable. :| The other difference I notice is the planet life form AI. They're considerably more aggressive! :o At one point, before I got the life form protection upgrade, I had 6 or 7 of those green, hopping dinosaur things chasing me all the way around the planet twice, (I wish I'd had Benny Hill music playing) :P with me occasionally turning around to fire one or two shots before turning back and running some more. I mean sure, sometimes in the original game, they'll chase you for a while if you let them, but until this game, I never had several descend on me at once from all over the map!
Pretty much anywhere UQM is different from the old DOS SC2, it can be traced back to the fact that UQM is actually based on the 3DO port. (TFB themselves apparently don't remember why some things (like lander capacity) were changed for the 3DO port...)
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:37 pm

The green jumpy guys were really aggressive in the original too. We did that run-and-shoot dance a lot.

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Death 999 wrote:The green jumpy guys were really aggressive in the original too. We did that run-and-shoot dance a lot.
True, and maybe it's just my imagination, but they seem to notice me from a lot further away and chase me a lot further than they used to. It could be that I just notice them more because I'm looking at a much broader playing field, whereas in the Dos version, there's just a little thumbnail, but it definitely feels very different.

One other thing that I forgot to mention in my above post is that unlike in the Dos version, when I finish an encounter with a ship in hyperspace, I come out facing the same direction I was before rather than always facing "north." This gives me a bit more freedom of travel and I don't have to be heading north to maximize the efficiency of my route. For example, I used this to approach the Ilwrath homeworld from the Arilou portal, whereas in the previous game, I approached it from within Ilwrath territory. This way is a longer route, but it's much safer, since I don't encounter any Ilwrath ships.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:33 am

Tormuse wrote:Just thought I'd revive this thread to say that I'm trying this again with the UQM version. (The above-mentioned version that I downloaded for my Android smartphone) :) The controls have taken some getting used to, but I've already gotten past the first major hurdle and gotten to Beta Corvi to get the Slylandro destruct code. I'm not sure how many Probes I've destroyed this time, because this version doesn't display my RU count on the cargo screen. :|

This time around, I found it helpful to save it any time I emerged from a Probe battle and then reload the save any time a Probe spawned ahead of me instead of behind me. It saves me a few seconds each time and means I have to fight fewer Probes. I also discovered that if you attack the Probes first every time without ever conversing with them, you lose the part of the dialogue tree with the Slylandro homeworld where you tell them that their probes are attacking people.
Not once but twice. You're a masochist!

Not sure I could stand all that reloading. Do you think it's possible to do a No Earth-no reloads run?

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Bleeding Star wrote:Not once but twice. You're a masochist!
It helps to take a lot of breaks and only do it little bits at a time, especially since I'm still finding the controls on my Android device a bit tricky. (Actually, lately, I've only been putting in maybe 15 minutes a day) Right now, I'm in Mycon territory, collecting Deep Child egg cases and replenishing crew.
Bleeding Star wrote:Do you think it's possible to do a No Earth-no reloads run?
Sure, but then I'd have to restart the game a lot. :P Theoretically, anything is possible.