Toys For Bob site is devoid of Star Control...

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Re: Toys For Bob site is devoid of Star Control...

Post by Dragon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:17 pm

I disagree, I can't imagine the original two TfB'ers going fuck you to the Star Control fans; but it has lost relevance. If they have to change their website then why pay to maintain information that everyone who is interested in already knows? I used to write games for a living* and in all honesty I don't care about the games I wrote 10 years ago let-alone twice that.

PS2, Xbox and GameCube were the platforms for those who want to know.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Dragon wrote:I disagree, I can't imagine the original two TfB'ers going fuck you to the Star Control fans; but it has lost relevance. If they have to change their website then why pay to maintain information that everyone who is interested in already knows? I used to write games for a living* and in all honesty I don't care about the games I wrote 10 years ago let-alone twice that.

if you know that you have a huge fanbase who checks your site every now and then you simply don't remove all references to the game of which you have such a huge fanbase which has been with you for the past 21 years..

I've been a member of the SC2 fan community for about 15 years, and during this time the community has constantly tried to make people remember what a great game it was. Now TFB seems more intent on letting people FORGET about this great game they've made. Maybe it wasn't intended as a big FUCK YOU to the SC2 community, to me it sure as hell feels like it.

Nintendo doesn't let people forget about Mario, Blizzard doesn't let people forget about lost vikings and the other great games they've made (http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/games/legacy/) even though current games are way more succesful, then why should TFB do this?

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:27 am

I think the problem is the sheer smallness of the website. I'm sure there are people out there who would like to know more about Toys For Bob, and their website would seem to be a logical place. I'm guessing they just want to keep the site straight and to the point, but there's still plenty of info about various things that could be added, and "other games we've made" is a very obvious one...
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 pm

A little 'games we'd like to make' page would be great.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Death 999 wrote:A little 'games we'd like to make' page would be great.
Not to mention a fairly obvious public prod aimed at their bosses at Activision. Possibly not the smartest move.
Dragon wrote:I used to write games for a living* and in all honesty I don't care about the games I wrote 10 years ago let-alone twice that.

Wait, really? I care now that I know about it! What games?

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Draxas wrote:
Death 999 wrote:A little 'games we'd like to make' page would be great.
Not to mention a fairly obvious public prod aimed at their bosses at Activision. Possibly not the smartest move.
Depends on how they present it, doesn't it?

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:48 pm

Draxas wrote:Wait, really? I care now that I know about it! What games?
Dammit now you've made me all nostalgic; and so I spent the evening digging up old articles/screen shots. I'll post up a reply in a new thread tomorrow so as not to hijack this one - I'd forgotten just how many projects I'd worked on (but only two were ever published).

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:07 am

Draxas wrote:
Dragon wrote:I used to write games for a living* and in all honesty I don't care about the games I wrote 10 years ago let-alone twice that.

Wait, really? I care now that I know about it! What games?
Ooh, I missed that... do tell!!!
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

chenjesummrnmhrm
Hunam adventurer

Post by chenjesummrnmhrm » Sun May 12, 2013 12:48 am

Honestly, more than anything I miss Alex Ness's news updates. Nobody's forgotten about Star Control, Activision already knows they want to make Star Control, they don't need a website for it. But Alex Ness's updates were pretty damn funny.