Progress in Star Control II

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Progress in Star Control II

Post by Death 999 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:19 am

I thought they did the analysis instantly.

palaste
Hunam adventurer

Post by palaste » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 am

Commander Talana said the Syreen Penetrator fleet is at most 200 standard hyperspace units away, in a system with a red or orange sun. How long is a standard hyperspace unit? Is it the same as 1 coordinate? There are quite many red or orange stars at most 200 coordinates away from Betelgeuse. I have visited many of them earlier, but obviously didn't find any Syreen ships, because I need the Syreen shuttle to find them. Now I'll have to visit them all again.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:20 pm

You're right about it the HS units being the same as the coordinates.

You can narrow it down a lot by supposing:
1) It's nearly 200 HS units
2) It's not with any battle thralls, as they might pull shenanigans
3) It's not out in the middle of nowhere - this is something they might want to check on from time to time.

palaste
Hunam adventurer

Post by palaste » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Am I supposed to get a sign immediately when I land on a planet containing either the fabulous creature or the Syreen Penetrator fleet? I landed on every single planet in the Lyncis constellation, but nothing special happened. It's the only eight-star constellation I can find on the top of the starmap.
There is a singular red star about 200 HS units away from Betelgeuse (Gamma Raynet) and three red or orange stars at the opposite direction in Kohr-Ah space, in the Camelopardalis constellation. These are all about 200 HS units away and not in VUX, Mycon, or Spathi space. (I reckon the Spathi are supposed to originally be Ur-Quan battle thralls, but it was rather easy to get them to ally with me.)

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:00 pm

For the fabulous beast, keep checking the Lyncis system. Remember it "basks in yellow light". It will be obvious once you find it.

As for the Syreen vault, just start with the red and orange systems closest to Betelguese, and look for energy readings.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm

You're not necessarily groping blindly for the Syreen ships. Perhaps some of your other allies have useful information about this topic.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

palaste
Hunam adventurer

Post by palaste » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 pm

I just came to think, might the reason why I am unable to find either the fabulous beast or the Syreen ships be that it's already well into 2159 in game time and the Kohr-Ah have won their war against the Kzer-Za and started their killing spree? For all I know, both the fabulous beast and the Syreen ships might be destroyed now. While I was searching for them, the Kohr-Ah killed the Mycon, the VUX, the Orz, the Spathi and the Zoq-Fot-Pik, in that order.
Am I to understand that the Syreen ships will show up as an energy signature but the fabulous beast won't? I have already visited nearly every red or orange star within 200 HS units from Betelgeuse, but none of the planets show any energy signatures. There is a ruby planet in the Lyncis system very close to its sun, so it certainly "basks in the light". But when I landed there, nothing special happened.
The current allies I have include the Spathi, the Orz and the Zoq-Fot-Pik. They used to include the Pkunk but the Yehat killed them. The Syreen would ally themselves with me if I only could find their ships so that they could actually do something with the alliance. Might the Melnorme also be able to provide information about this?

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:15 pm

The Kohr-Ah won't destroy any plot coupons you *need*. In fact, they will kill the people guarding some of said plot coupons making them easier to pick up - if you're fast you might still be able to win.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:05 am

The beast is not an energy source. It's a living breathing creature. Check the 8 stars again. This time, look for living things.

jello
Hunam adventurer

Post by jello » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:21 am

As I recall the Beast will just show up as another lifeform. It isn't the only one on the planet, but you will know which one it is as soon as you see it :lol:

The fleet will show up as an energy signal when you find the right planet