SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

Post by Dyandod » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:53 am

Zeracles wrote:`Excellent observation! But you will also note that there are fewer than 50 such lords in the entire system, exactly 16 in fact. I therefore posit that the entire Kzer-Za fleet comprised a mere 16 dreadnoughts with five of them destroyed by the Shofixti. It may be significant that there are also excatly 16 Kohr-Ah captain names - when the Kohr-Ah arrived with their 16 Marauders the outcome of the doctrinal conflict could not have been in doubt! ;D-smf'
Just add about 3 zeroes to the end of all of those numbers, and I think that might actually be kinda close.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:15 am

Dyandod wrote:
Zeracles wrote:`Excellent observation! But you will also note that there are fewer than 50 such lords in the entire system, exactly 16 in fact. I therefore posit that the entire Kzer-Za fleet comprised a mere 16 dreadnoughts with five of them destroyed by the Shofixti. It may be significant that there are also excatly 16 Kohr-Ah captain names - when the Kohr-Ah arrived with their 16 Marauders the outcome of the doctrinal conflict could not have been in doubt! ;D-smf'
Just add about 3 zeroes to the end of all of those numbers, and I think that might actually be kinda close.
You can't just add zeroes - their names contain prime numbers only, as far as I remember...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Hardly any of the Lords are prime, but yes, the deaths we see in-game are all prime.

Of course, that must be a coincidence. To only use prime numbers seems very unlike them.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Yes, much more something Kzer-Za would do, but still only using prime numbers as personal designation is weird. How do you pass the name when one dies somewhere in space? Perhaps this isn't really a name, but some equivalent of military rank - first in command is "1", then 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 e.t.c
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Steve-O
Hunam adventurer

Post by Steve-O » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Alvarin wrote:Yes, much more something Kzer-Za would do, but still only using prime numbers as personal designation is weird. How do you pass the name when one dies somewhere in space? Perhaps this isn't really a name, but some equivalent of military rank - first in command is "1", then 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 e.t.c
Technically, 1 is not a prime number. A prime number is defined as having two (positive) divisors, 1 and itself. "1" has only one divisor and so doesn't qualify.

... Yes, mathematicians are arse-holes. =P

dentarthurdent
I'M ALIVE!

Post by dentarthurdent » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:07 am

One thing has confused me if the Ur-Quan territorial instincts cause them to only have one Ur-Quan on a ship so they use slaves what do the Korh-ah do?
L-L-L-L-L-L-Launch Fighters

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:51 am

The main theories are:
1) having been bred to be workers and soldiers, the Kohr-Ah are capable of being more than 1 per ship.
2) marginally- or sub-sentient genetically-obedient slaves much like what they did with the Dnyarri but not actually them (and given roles not ultimately demeaning like translation)
3) it's all automated and the effectiveness of the Syreen song is a bug

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:32 am

Steve-O wrote:
Alvarin wrote:Yes, much more something Kzer-Za would do, but still only using prime numbers as personal designation is weird. How do you pass the name when one dies somewhere in space? Perhaps this isn't really a name, but some equivalent of military rank - first in command is "1", then 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 e.t.c
Technically, 1 is not a prime number. A prime number is defined as having two (positive) divisors, 1 and itself. "1" has only one divisor and so doesn't qualify.

... Yes, mathematicians are arse-holes. =P
Or French. The French believe that 1 is prime as prime can be.

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Dyandod wrote:

I know I've killed at least 16 in a game.

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 am

I read through this thread and want to share my comments. :)

Regarding Mmrnmhrm, (I had to look up the spelling) :P I kind of like the idea of them having been built as some kind of means of getting around the Dnyarri's compulsion, but then, why wouldn't there have been any mention of them by the Ur-Quan or Melnorme?
Lukipela wrote: Yeah, I was never fond of the M-bots. I'd bet money on them having killed their creators at some point. And not by accident. The Ark seems like an insurance, in a "you can't beat us because we limited your birth rate" kind of way. The Alliance was never picky, so I'm sure no one asked too many questions from the high tech potential ally when push came to shove.
I don't know about that... They sound like nice guys from in-game accounts... The Spathi tell you that they once encountered Mmrnmhrm trying to colonize a planet in their territory and when they asked the Mmrnmhrm to stop, the Mmrnmhrm apologized, left, and never bothered the Spathi again. I just don't really get an "insane killer" vibe from them.
chenjesuwizard wrote: So [the Raibow Worlds] appear to be dumps of something. Maybe some strange material which allowed them to travel or something similar.
Ooh! That sounds like an interesting idea! Maybe the Rainbow worlds were arranged like that to accelerate the Precursors on their way somehow!
Draxas wrote:
Are the Melnorme the same as the Mael Neum or have they changed somehow? How did they survive? Why weren't they in freaking Crap Control 3?
Now that's a more interesting question, at least the part about changing and survival. You would think, since both Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah knew they escaped and were still out there, they would have been more insistent on hunting them down. Perhaps the Melnorme connection with the Keel-Verezy might help to explain this, since the KV are either an IDF race or just very good at hiding (even in plain sight). Perhaps the Melnorme were able to hide out with the help of the KV for a few centuries until the heat died down.
These are interesting theories about the Melnorme. Some other good questions about them might be why are they so interested in Rainbow Worlds? Why do they want biological data so much? Why do they always hang around supergiant stars? (If there's a connection between those three things, that would be pretty cool!) Considering all the things they're able to tell you in the game, they obviously have incredible sources of information, so the fact that they're so eager to learn about random tiny life forms throughout the galaxy seems to suggest that there's some higher purpose to it all.
chenjesummrnmhrm wrote:The taalo and androsynth are probably alive...
The Orz say that "no more Androsynth is better." I have a feeling that means the Androsynth are dead, but I'm pretty sure the Taalo are alive. The Orz say that the Taalo spread to "pretty space," which suggests that the Taalo escaped to another dimension, and now the Orz "chase" them, which makes me think that whereever the Taalo are, they're suffering at the hands of the Orz, which kind of sucks for the Taalo, having escaped one hell only to find themselves in another. :| I wonder how the Ur-Quan would react if it was revealed that the Taalo survived! I'll bet it would be enough to finally calm the Kohr-Ah down and get them to stop their genocidal rampage if their only friends came back.

As for the whole discussion of the Kzer-Za's and Kohr-Ah's migration, I think Dyandod got it right with his diagram. The whole game of Star Control 2 takes place in the "south-west" corner of the galaxy. (Or a small portion of the south-west) This means that all races in the north-west portion of the galaxy have already been enslaved by the Kzer-Za and all races in the south-east portion have been exterminated by the Kohr-Ah. (Pretty grim when you think about it!) Their current spheres of influence overlap because that's where they ended up meeting each other when they finished their migration. It kind of makes me wonder why the Kzer-Za didn't start building the hierarchy until they encountered the Thraddash. Why didn't they bring any slave races with them on their journey? Why aren't there a lot more battle thralls? Also, since the Kzer-Za are trying to prove to the Kohr-Ah that having slaves is a superior way of life than destroying everyone, why didn't the Kzer-Za enlist the help of their battle thralls when facing the Kohr-Ah for the doctrinal conflict? Hell, the Spathi alone could have thinned out the Kohr-Ah numbers considerably!

And one mystery that hasn't been mentioned so far in this thread: Why did the Kzer-Za destroy all >500 year landmarks on Earth? For me, that's always been the most ominous and confusing part, especially when Commander Hayes describes some of the targets, such as something beneath the antarctic icecap, and something under a large section of the Atlantic ocean. Just what were the Kzer-Za looking for? Why was it so important to hit those targets?