SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Re: SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

Post by glory_device » Wed May 01, 2013 1:57 am

I would add to lobsterman theory (which I think is spot on) with one element.

They never took a side during events of SC2 which lead me to think that their way of thinking is similar to the US early in the second world war: making profit, having knowledge and feeding a fear of the unknown. The fact is they know so much that they make themselves invaluable. Furthermore, nobody knows where they live...nor do they know any military information regarding numbers and tactics. Think of it this way, they push the information is key paradigm to a extreme level both as a culture and as a mean to protect themselves.
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

spathilowcouncil
Silly Supox

Post by spathilowcouncil » Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 pm

another mystery, is 1-900-PKUNKRA a real number?

Death 999

No. I tried.
welp we tried.

and what if the Milleu was still here today?

zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy » Sat May 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Zarnium wrote: Is that their entire body, their upper half, or just heir head? Are those blobs on the side shoulders and arms, or just fleshy bits fused to the central trunk?
Maybe the Melnorme image is a synthetic image for communications. Maybe it is an "Annoying Orange" in real time?

Mathius
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mathius » Sun May 05, 2013 1:26 am

This is my first post here. It's nice to be among fellow SC2 lovers. :)

The biggest and most frustrating mystery to me are the Orz. Paul and Fred have eluded that the Orz are part of the extra-dimensional beings that the Arilou have been trying to protect us from. That they are part of Them. If this is so, and the Orz are evil, then why do the Arilou fail to keep us from meeting them? Why are the Arilou not going bat-shit crazy and trying to "push" the Orz back where they came from? If the Orz are a projection of something far more sinister than anything in our space and time why are the Arilou not doing anything about it?

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Sun May 05, 2013 2:15 am

Mathius wrote:This is my first post here. It's nice to be among fellow SC2 lovers. :)

The biggest and most frustrating mystery to me are the Orz. Paul and Fred have eluded that the Orz are part of the extra-dimensional beings that the Arilou have been trying to protect us from. That they are part of Them. If this is so, and the Orz are evil, then why do the Arilou fail to keep us from meeting them? Why are the Arilou not going bat-shit crazy and trying to "push" the Orz back where they came from? If the Orz are a projection of something far more sinister than anything in our space and time why are the Arilou not doing anything about it?
Let me first say welcome! Cool to see another sc2 fan find/post on this forum :D
Personally I never get tired of discussing lore so I'll bite for a first reply.

What you ask imo, is a pretty good question, personally I haven't seen it posed before. Could it be possible that the Arilou, knowing our curious personality as a species, abstained from trying to prevent contact with the Orz alltogether, in fear that it would just drive us to obsessively seek them out? I mean it's not like we know for sure that even the Arilou is completely benevolent, given how vague they are.

I also get the feeling that the Arilou aren't THAT concerned about superficial communication with the entity known to us as the Orz, simply because they have spent so much time altering our *smell* presumably to avoid full detection by that entity. I also feel that if the entity known as Orz, or it's truespace *fingers* if you will, isn't fully able to *smell* races just from interacting with them, otherwise I get the feeling that the Spathi and surrounding races would fairly quickly have gotten wiped out. Iirc there are no aliens ingame that talks about encountering the Orz, but surely the Spathi and VUX at least (and probably the Ur-Quan) would encounter them through routine patrols, presumably without immediately catastrophic results.

Just my take on the whole thing.

Again, cool to see a new guy here! Post wise I am pretty new myself.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sun May 05, 2013 2:35 am

I wonder if the Arilou are simply incapable of real action against the Orz during the events of SC2? They must have taken serious losses in the Slave War.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy » Sun May 05, 2013 4:31 am

Mathius wrote:This is my first post here. It's nice to be among fellow SC2 lovers. :)

I think the Arilou is hiding Humanity from the Orz(or something from its dimension) because humanity would be defenseless against them. Humans would just be prey animals to them. Remember the crewman who got too close to discovering the Orz suddenly being bitten all over by "something" because by just by knowing about the creatures from the other dimension, he started becoming visible to them.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Also keep in mind that if they're just part, they could be a part that can't perceive us that way. Like, the Orz are the fingers, but to be a threat to us the being would need to smell us.

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Sun May 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Sorry to change the subject from the Orz a little, but I was just playing earlier and had a thought about what we were talking about earlier in this thread...

It was pretty stupid of the Kzer-Za to agree to the whole Doctrinal Conflict thing, because no matter who wins, the Kohr-Ah win. My understanding is that after the current Doctrinal Conflict ends, both sides will continue their migration around the galaxy, carrying out their agendas, until they meet again to have another Doctrinal Conflict. Presumably, this means that both sides will be traveling through space that the other had just traveled through.

Basically, the Kzer-Za will continue their mission to enslave everyone, traveling through space where everyone has already been destroyed by the Kohr-Ah, and the Kohr-Ah will continue their mission to destroy everyone where everyone has been enslaved by the Kzer-Za. The Kohr-Ah will even have the advantage that everyone has already been subdued and imprisoned for easy destruction!

zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy » Sun May 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Tormuse wrote:Sorry to change the subject from the Orz a little, but I was just playing earlier and had a thought about what we were talking about earlier in this thread...

It was pretty stupid of the Kzer-Za to agree to the whole Doctrinal Conflict thing, because no matter who wins, the Kohr-Ah win. My understanding is that after the current Doctrinal Conflict ends, both sides will continue their migration around the galaxy, carrying out their agendas, until they meet again to have another Doctrinal Conflict. Presumably, this means that both sides will be traveling through space that the other had just traveled through.

Basically, the Kzer-Za will continue their mission to enslave everyone, traveling through space where everyone has already been destroyed by the Kohr-Ah, and the Kohr-Ah will continue their mission to destroy everyone where everyone has been enslaved by the Kzer-Za. The Kohr-Ah will even have the advantage that everyone has already been subdued and imprisoned for easy destruction!
The most I am hoping for is that it meant that the Kohr-Ah limited their extermination to sentient worlds and not all life.