SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Re: SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

Post by Lobsterman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Steve-O wrote:
Tormuse wrote: I don't know about that... They sound like nice guys from in-game accounts... The Spathi tell you that they once encountered Mmrnmhrm trying to colonize a planet in their territory and when they asked the Mmrnmhrm to stop, the Mmrnmhrm apologized, left, and never bothered the Spathi again. I just don't really get an "insane killer" vibe from them.
I agree. The Mmrnmhrm seem generally benevolent to me.
Why would they want to be percieved as anything but benevolent though, even if they are not?
The fact that we know little to nothing about their origins or purpose (which they refuse to reveal) is in and of itself cause for concern.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:39 am

To be fair, neither would we, nor would any species reveal their origins except to our very closest allies. Any information about our origins can be exploited by anybody, so it would make sense that it was not common knowledge. This is especially true with the M-bots as knowledge of their origins could lead to discoveries about their programming and such, which could result in a huge opportunity to exploit the M-bots.

I think it's a bit big-headed of us to believe that we had a right to know anything about their origins when it has no relevance to our lives or the current state of affairs. If the M-bots had seemed to be up to something or even seemed a little threatening I can kind of see how it could possibly be justified, but they were perfectly good allies and polite, as shown with the Spathi incident.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Tormuse wrote:Also, I forgot to mention in my earlier post: Someone mentioned that the Arilou may have been as interested in the Syreen as humans, but I can say that they weren't. After humanity was slave-shielded, the Arilou returned to Quasispace and didn't care what happened to the Syreen.
Alternatively - the Arilou would like both Humanity and Syreen to be slave-shielded for their own safety. The Syreen are more peaceful than humans so the Arilou know they will choose the shield (they know their kids). They might not be so sure about Humanity's choice, so they remain involved for as long as this is not settled. Their continued involvement in the war makes it less likely that Humanity will choose to fight for the Ur-Quan, because the more allies one has, the shittier it feels to turn against them. Knowing Humanity is safe, and sure of the Syreen's eventual choice, they can leave.

Just an alternative interpretation.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:55 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:To be fair, neither would we, nor would any species reveal their origins except to our very closest allies. Any information about our origins can be exploited by anybody, so it would make sense that it was not common knowledge. This is especially true with the M-bots as knowledge of their origins could lead to discoveries about their programming and such, which could result in a huge opportunity to exploit the M-bots.

I think it's a bit big-headed of us to believe that we had a right to know anything about their origins when it has no relevance to our lives or the current state of affairs. If the M-bots had seemed to be up to something or even seemed a little threatening I can kind of see how it could possibly be justified, but they were perfectly good allies and polite, as shown with the Spathi incident.
That's a good point, especially like you say since they are machines and all. What I was getting at though, is that if they are in fact a "colonization tool" for a more ancient race it might very well be that they are just being helpful in order to survive and gather information about the quadrant and its races until the eventual arrival of whoever made them. And whoever made them might, for whatever reason, not necessarily be benevolent. All we know is that roughly a millenium ago, their creators were advanced enough to create a huge robotics factory that created a whole population of sentient machines. If they are still alive it is a good chance that they fall into the "too advanced to care about us/we are like ants to them" category, even if they used to be benevolent.

This isn't the most popular theory I suppose since most people seem to agree that they are probably precursor-made and that the precursors were benevolent, but it's something to take note of, since we know literally nothing at all about their long term plans.
Call it healthy skepticism!

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Perhaps not a "great mystery," but I have always wondered what the off-screen portions of many of the races look like. There's only two in-game illustrations of each race (the communication image and the melee image), and it's usually not a full body shot.

The most mysterious to me is the Melnorme, due to a complete lack of visual cues:

Is that their entire body, their upper half, or just heir head? Are those blobs on the side shoulders and arms, or just fleshy bits fused to the central trunk?

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:55 am

I know, eh? If you really want to mess with your perspective, imagine that it's like a dog, pressing its front paws against the screen. (With those lower two globes being the paws)

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Actually, story-wise, the Melnorme are one of the biggest mysteries to me, too. They tell you almost nothing about themselves, and no one else knows anything about them, either. It's implied that they're the Mael-num, but we know nothing about what happened to them after they left their homeworld.

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:33 am

Zarnium wrote:Actually, story-wise, the Melnorme are one of the biggest mysteries to me, too. They tell you almost nothing about themselves, and no one else knows anything about them, either. It's implied that they're the Mael-num, but we know nothing about what happened to them after they left their homeworld.
My personal theory is that their hunger for knowledge and seemingly desire to control the flow of it stems from their close encounter with death at the hands of the Kohr-Ah.
They managed to escape by uttering the correct words and has since had the utmost respect for knowledge and information. I base this on the fact that the Ur-Quan did not mention that the Mael-Num were abnormally interested in information and knowledge, which can mean that this is a recent development, and that it would fit in a way that the Kzer-Za has a path of now and forever and the Kohr-Ah has an eternal doctrine. The Melnorme seek to control knowledge so they will forever have the upper hand, a paralell to how the Kzer za seek to enslave, and the Kohr-Ah seek to annihilate, forthe very same reasons.

It is also implied that their new homeworld(s) is invisible to the naked eye and most equipment, based on their friendship with the Keel-Verezy race that is completely invisible and undetectable to us.

spathilowcouncil
Silly Supox

Post by spathilowcouncil » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 pm

another mystery, is 1-900-PKUNKRA a real number?

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:37 pm

No. I tried.