SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Re: SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

Post by Gekko » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:38 am

I've been wondering for a while. What kind of quantity of ships did the humans have in the pre-Sa-Matran conflict? In Star Control universe we know that the planet Earth was still divided by nations and cultures, and that United Nations was working as world representative and authority in space matters. From this we can't really say that the entire planet was pulling one string in this entire "build a space armada so we can go fight space battles" thing. Most likely ships were being built in quite small numbers. If I hurl in an odd number and say the Sol fielded at maximum less than 100 ships I don't think we'd be far.

Then again, a counter point could be argued: As the Chenjesu arrived we can also assume that they brought technology. Perhaps spaceships were easier to construct, perhaps material mining was extended outside the Sol system. There is the moment when Hayes gives you a hint about good mineral planets, and revises a riddle phrased by an "old miner".

What about other races?
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:14 am

Tanaka wrote:My people blew up the sun, heh, heh, heh!
Or at least, they caused it to flare like a nova, destroying the many hundreds of Hierarchy vessels
that had invaded our system to enslave us Shofixti.
Yehat wrote: When the Ur-Quan were entering our home star system at Gamma Serpentis
we had a thousand starships prepared to defend our home, BRAK!!
Fwiffo wrote: Shofixti caused their sun to explode in a colossal supernova
destroying the entire planetary system, and not incidentally dozens of Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts!
Yehat said the "Blaze of Glory" took 30% of the fleet.

These quotes make me think that this number is bit low. I'd assume that as Earth fleet was significant enough, it should have included much more than 100 ships. My guess would be five hundred at least.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I think Fwiffo just has a talent for understatement. In the fluff, it says that one of the biggest advantages of Earth joining the Alliance was that they brought a huge industrial base, and were able to rapidly mass produce starships for the war effort. I suspect that means you're selling the fleet short at only 100, and it was probably closer to 1000 ships (though attrition was terrible, since both the Androsynth and Ilwrath were close neighbors).

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:50 pm

I would say that it seems small because that's the number of Ur-Quan dreadnoughts *specifically* that were destroyed. We need to keep in mind that Dreadnoughts are massive vessels compared to just about everything else, and will therefore simply not exist in vast numbers. (It's also worth noting that 'dozens' can reasonably refer over 100 ships, possibly 200.) The other Hierarchy vessels would be (numerically speaking) a far greater contribution to the Hierarchy fleet.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:59 pm

I personally go with Fwiffo having been fed a filtered report by the Spathi high command which downwardly revised the damage done to minimize the terror.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:24 am

In melee the Kzer-Za captain names go up to Lord 999.

Sorted ;D-smf
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 pm

You will also note that there are fewer than 50 such lords in the entire system.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:23 am

Er, maybe it was not obvious that I was being flippant?

Although for the sake of serious I don't believe that a fleet of less than a thousand (or significantly more, even) could sustain a war with the Kohr-Ah for over a decade. Dreadnoughts might be expensive but there's been plenty of time to build 'em.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Zeracles wrote:Er, maybe it was not obvious that I was being flippant?
right back at you

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:53 am

`Excellent observation! But you will also note that there are fewer than 50 such lords in the entire system, exactly 16 in fact. I therefore posit that the entire Kzer-Za fleet comprised a mere 16 dreadnoughts with five of them destroyed by the Shofixti. It may be significant that there are also excatly 16 Kohr-Ah captain names - when the Kohr-Ah arrived with their 16 Marauders the outcome of the doctrinal conflict could not have been in doubt! ;D-smf'