SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Re: SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

Post by Gekko » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:37 pm

Mmrnmhrm were in truth a race that transformed their consciousness from flesh into machine, or they destroyed their creators due to a programming error. Thoughts?
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Gekko wrote:Mmrnmhrm were in truth a race that transformed their consciousness from flesh into machine, or they destroyed their creators due to a programming error. Thoughts?
Those are cool ideas. I like the first idea better than the second. If they destroyed their creators, then you'd think they'd be less than sentient. I mean, if they are intelligent but they can't help killing their creators, I'd question whether or not they were really intellligent.

But what if one of the Milieu became the Mmrnmhrm in order to evade the Dynarri? What an interesting idea.

It seems like the Mother-ark built individuals with their own "purpose." Is the purpose a species-wide purpose? Or do each individual Mmrnmhrm have their own life calling or something?

chenjesummrnmhrm
Hunam adventurer

Post by chenjesummrnmhrm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:06 pm

If the mmrnmhrm transferred their race from flesh to machine, wouldn't they be able to build the mother ark again?

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Maybe they didn't want to.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:54 pm

sakalava47 wrote: I like the first idea better than the second. If they destroyed their creators, then you'd think they'd be less than sentient. I mean, if they are intelligent but they can't help killing their creators, I'd question whether or not they were really intellligent.
A being can be sentient and still do stuff it doesn't know/understand. In humans we call it insanity.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:54 am

sakalava47 wrote:If they destroyed their creators, then you'd think they'd be less than sentient. I mean, if they are intelligent but they can't help killing their creators, I'd question whether or not they were really intellligent.
Earth created us and now we can't seem to help killing the planet. Indeed, this is reason to doubt our intelligence.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Dyandod wrote:The Sentient Milieu was centered around our area of the galaxy right?
Nope. In fact, the Melnorme say that only the Taalo were based in our section of the galaxy. Seems like the Mael-num, at the very least, were based on the opposite side from us, which is why the second doctrinal war landed in our laps.

As for the Mmrn, I always like to espouse the theory that they were built by someone, apparently for some purpose, but we still have no idea who and why. I like to think that the "Precursors" didn't have a complete monopoly on technology of mysterious origin, and perhaps there is another race of distant origin and unknown intent following millennia behind in the Mmrn's wake, expecting them to have fulfilled whatever purpose they were designed for.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:16 pm

sakalava47 wrote:Those are cool ideas. I like the first idea better than the second. If they destroyed their creators, then you'd think they'd be less than sentient. I mean, if they are intelligent but they can't help killing their creators, I'd question whether or not they were really intellligent.
You're assuming that the creators were smart enough to ensure that keeping the creators around was a priority. AI is nearly as bad as the monkey's paw, that way.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Draxas wrote:Nope. In fact, the Melnorme say that only the Taalo were based in our section of the galaxy. Seems like the Mael-num, at the very least, were based on the opposite side from us, which is why the second doctrinal war landed in our laps.
Exactly, the original battles took place a long way from where we are. the Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah appeared in our quadrant from opposite direction, meeting again for the first time since the original war.
As for the Mmrn, I always like to espouse the theory that they were built by someone, apparently for some purpose, but we still have no idea who and why. I like to think that the "Precursors" didn't have a complete monopoly on technology of mysterious origin, and perhaps there is another race of distant origin and unknown intent following millennia behind in the Mmrn's wake, expecting them to have fulfilled whatever purpose they were designed for.
Yeah, I was never fond of the M-bots. I'd bet money on them having killed their creators at some point. And not by accident. The Ark seems like an insurance, in a "you can't beat us because we limited your birth rate" kind of way. The Alliance was never picky, so I'm sure no one asked too many questions from the high tech potential ally when push came to shove.

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Rainbow worlds? What is their purpose? As an aside, do Rainbow Worlds appear in project 6014?