SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

Post by sakalava47 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:27 pm

I'm sure that this topic has been discussed before but I haven't seen it. Does anyone want to talk about the unsolved mysteries? I am currently most interested in the fate of the Sentient Milieu. Could it be that the Taalo are the ancestors of the Chenjesu? Or even the Mycon? Could the Mmrrhmm (spell?) have been made by the Taalo to have a sentient species who are not vulnerable to the Dynarri?

Please add your own thoughts, theories etc.
Last edited by sakalava47 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: SC2's Greatest Misteries (spoilers)

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:37 pm

*mysteries.
I always assumed the M-bots and Mycon were precursor inventions.
It is also possible the Chenjesu and Taalo were precursor inventions also.

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Re: SC2's Greatest Misteries (spoilers)

Post by sakalava47 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:01 am

chenjesuwizard wrote:*mysteries.
I always assumed the M-bots and Mycon were precursor inventions.
It is also possible the Chenjesu and Taalo were precursor inventions also.

Ha! Why did I get two college degrees if I can't even spell correctly? I now fixed it.

SC3 had a theory, of course, on the Mycon. I actually liked how they were planet builders for the precursors, but I played SC3 before SC2 so I just took it as a given until I played SC2 and realized that that wasn't canon. Does anyone know how Ford and Richie feel about this interpretation of the Mycon?

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: SC2's Greatest Mysteries (spoilers)

Post by oldlaptop » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 am

Why yes they do! :)
TFB on IRC in 1998 (Fwiffo is both Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III here) wrote: <_Stilgar> <Etherea|> Fwiffo: Were the Mycon in your mind simply the insane fungus rewriting the memories of the sentient Deep Children like in SC3? They gave them a stupid religious fanatic look, IHO, which seemed too simple for the potential they had in SC2... what was your idea of the Mycon?

<Fwiffo> The Mycon were biological tools of the Precursors. They had been programmed for terraforming, but when the Precursors vanished, the Mycons were left unattended. Over the following millenia, their programs drifted, forming the worship of Juffo-Wup.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:10 am

Here's something I never quite understood (I vaguely remember having this conversation before but I can't remember so I'm starting the conversation again)- The Sentient Milieu was centered around our area of the galaxy right? Also, when the Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah found the Sa-Matra, they travelled in opposite directions around the galaxy until they met again. But wouldn't that mean they would have met on the opposite side of the galaxy from us?
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:21 am

Dyandod wrote:Here's something I never quite understood (I vaguely remember having this conversation before but I can't remember so I'm starting the conversation again)- The Sentient Milieu was centered around our area of the galaxy right? Also, when the Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah found the Sa-Matra, they travelled in opposite directions around the galaxy until they met again. But wouldn't that mean they would have met on the opposite side of the galaxy from us?
I never knew that the Milieu was centered around our area. But I know that the Taalo were in our area. But if you are right, then I suppose they could have met once at the opposite end and then came back around and are meeting again... I don't know. :)-smf Or they missed each other because the galaxy is so big, but they both planned on coming back to this very place in the galaxy because that is where it all started.

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:23 am

We know from the game that this is the second eternal doctrine, I believe (I may be wrong though).

Btw, there was a long thread on this: http://star-control.com/community/viewt ... ?f=8&t=245

Rezzoplis
Orz *camper*

Post by Rezzoplis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:42 pm

No, The Mycon were Terraformers.
SUPRISE AND TERROR!

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:15 pm

Yes, Rezz, that's what we were just saying.

Rezzoplis
Orz *camper*

Post by Rezzoplis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Ah, yes.
SUPRISE AND TERROR!