Spathiwa's Ruler

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: Spathiwa's Ruler

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Perhaps their entire society is based on Puun-Taffy. Where they all choose from the Ta Puun sticks and whoever has the longest gets the worst job, the second longest the second worst job, all the way up to the shortest being for the safe ones.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:08 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:Perhaps their entire society is based on Puun-Taffy. Where they all choose from the Ta Puun sticks and whoever has the longest gets the worst job, the second longest the second worst job, all the way up to the shortest being for the safe ones.
I thought the stick lengths went in the other direction... Fwiffo said he got the "short stick", right?
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:52 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:No, the long one.
http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Puun-Taffy
That link directly contradicts what you just said: "Ultimately Fwiffo drew the short Ta Puun stick and thus became the only Spathi to remain in the Sol system."
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:03 am

"In the ritual the candidates pick Ta Puun sticks, and whomever picks the longest stick is selected."
The article contradicts itself.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:16 pm

The confusion stems from the fact that they were selecting the crewman to leave the Starrunner. Now, if they were choosing who had to stay behind, it probably wouldn't have been as confusing.

So yes, it is the long stick.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Death 999 wrote:Somehow, it does have to come down to some Spathi being sent into danger, and others not. The former will have some trouble concluding that they're in charge.
Yeah, I suppose. :(-smf A pity, I liked the idea.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:58 am

Draxas wrote:The confusion stems from the fact that they were selecting the crewman to leave the Starrunner. Now, if they were choosing who had to stay behind, it probably wouldn't have been as confusing.

So yes, it is the long stick.
What is the confusion? Longest stick for winner, shortest stick for looser...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:58 am

Lukipela wrote:
Death 999 wrote:Somehow, it does have to come down to some Spathi being sent into danger, and others not. The former will have some trouble concluding that they're in charge.
Yeah, I suppose. :(-smf A pity, I liked the idea.
If the endangered Spathi don't know they're in danger it might work. The sort of disinformation rife in a nested-shadow government system could conceivably delude Spathi that completely. Every shadow government conveys information contrived to convince everyone else they're safe when they're not, while they themselves are similarly deluded by everyone else (about the perils of their own situation, specifically). Each shadow government operates on perfect information about all sections of Spathi society except for their own, which is fine because they're only making decisions about other Spathi (they can't make decisions about themselves because that would draw attention to their shadow government status).

And the more I think about it, the more it looks like there's a dash of this distributed risk-control-delusion complex in our own setup.

The system continues to function because each shadow government is actually working with information accurate enough for the specific decisions they're taking, and every Spathi is sufficiently reassured to do his narrow duty. This sort of mass delusion entails a delicate balancing act, but it might not be that many notches above North Korea-type mass delusion.

Now someone tell me where I slipped up ;D-smf
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:47 pm

On the icy patch, just outside Government Building #1181.

Poor, poor Zeracles. If only he hadn't given away the deepest secrets of the Spathi, he might not have had that... unfortunate accident.