SC2 Playthrough on Youtube

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: SC2 Playthrough on Youtube

Post by Death 999 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 pm

Hayes advice is proof that he was loyal to the Ur-Quan.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Death 999 wrote:Hayes advice is proof that he was loyal to the Ur-Quan.
I wonder if Star Control's tactics training took other variables into consideration (e.g. the correct tactic for Earthling v. Ilwrath in melee is to lob missiles at it from as far away as possible, but perhaps Star Control higher-ups consider this too wasteful?).
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:19 pm

When they incinerate your ship, all of your missiles are wasted.

He keeps buying turning jets, but refuses to max out the thrusters, even with thousands to spare. And immediately after making an alliance with the Orz... doesn't seem to listen to Hayes' saying he can build their ships. Sigh. He already knows how effective those things are. At least he found out by accident shortly after.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Death 999 wrote: In part 10, the Ilwrath. Charging the Ilwrath with your flagship? It has a short ranged weapon. Try to stay away?

In part 12... how many times are you going to fly Fwiffo straight up the bore of the ur-quan cannon while not firing your weapon? I mean, the point of coming close was to do damage, right? So, TRY TO DO SOME DAMAGE! Get a feeling for your range! Stay at that range!

He keeps buying turning jets, but refuses to max out the thrusters, even with thousands to spare. And immediately after making an alliance with the Orz... doesn't seem to listen to Hayes' saying he can build their ships. Sigh. He already knows how effective those things are. At least he found out by accident shortly after.
Isn't it so wonderfully frustrating? It's like his idea of combat is "drive straight at the fusion cannon/flamethrower and hope for the best". I have to say though, some of the controls are not intuitive without looking at the manual. It's nice when he finally figures out the autopilot in episode 357.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:42 am

So because apparently I have far too much too much time on my hands, I've been checking out other blind playthroughs on youtube, and they are uniformly awful. Between annoying whining guy, brony mining simulator, and abandoned playthough racist, I think I've given up. Renewed respect for JimPlaysGames - perhaps he was awful, but at least he's entertaining.

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:06 am

Bleeding Star wrote:Not sure if this has been posted, but I just spotted a blind playthrough of SC2 on Youtube. It's done by a dude called JimPlaysGames, and it's pretty sweet. He's obviously a giant Sci-fi nerd and I really enjoy the commentary: the way he recognises the influences and in-jokes and appreciates some old-school space opera. On the other hand, he is implausibly bad at the game. I can't count the number of times I was shouting at the screen as he ignored yet another piece of crucial information, or picked exactly the wrong ship for the job. Nevertheless, that may be part of the charm. Very entertaining if you have a good few hours to spare. First part is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Ex4tSwfk8

And he then does some analysis of the themes and shit afterwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYVaEoWH ... ure=relmfu
I saw this on Starcontroller. I've even contacted Jim, and and we've helped each other out on stuff since then. Jim helped make the trailer for UrQuan Masters HD for me because I was so busy fixing bugs. Check out his site jimmakesgames.com to see some of the freeware he's made.

My favorite LP because he finishes the game, has never played it before, speeds through the boring parts and he has a great mic. I also recommend his eye of the beholder series.

Also slightly unrelated, if anybody can make a video detailing the enhancements and changes to UQM HD from vanilla UQM, it would help me out a ton.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:08 am

Death 999 wrote:When they incinerate your ship, all of your missiles are wasted.

Wait, i never managed to find a way to launch Orz marines (I know it sounds weird, but i rarely used them) How do i do that?
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:09 pm

ThriveDev wrote:Wait, i never managed to find a way to launch Orz marines (I know it sounds weird, but i rarely used them) How do i do that?
You push special and fire at the same time to launch marines. Also, the Orz Nemesis can change the way its gun faces by holding down special and pushing left or right.

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:14 pm

Tormuse wrote:
ThriveDev wrote:Wait, i never managed to find a way to launch Orz marines (I know it sounds weird, but i rarely used them) How do i do that?
You push special and fire at the same time to launch marines. Also, the Orz Nemesis can change the way its gun faces by holding down special and pushing left or right.
I knew about gun rotating, but i was always confused with stuff like Pkunk (Whos special ability is to recharge battery lol)
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 pm

And by 'lol' I trust you mean 'wtf'. That was our reaction, anyway.