Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Post Reply
User avatar
cymon
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

Post by cymon »

http://www.blendogames.com/flotilla/

Here's another game that takes it's inspiration from Star Control. Flotilla has been described on the edle thumbs podcast as "loose structure of Star Control 2 with some light mechanics of Homeworld" and I agree entirely. It was also described as "A simultaneous turn-base space tactical combat game with a roguelike structure and random encounters." And it's by the Gravity Bone guy.

I actually haven't tried it because my laptop isn't man enough and I've been to busy to attack the desk to, but has anyone else tried it? Any thoughts from a Star Control fan perspective?
Alen
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

Post by Alen »

I watched a combat video and the music sounded bland. other than that looks interesting.
User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

Post by Lukipela »

Looking at the video, it seems to be pretty much SAISS with basic Homewrold combat. Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose a bit? I mean, SAISS and WW are great games for wasting 20 minutes on, and the combat is fast and action packed so it doesn't slow down the game much. That looks like you'd have the same kind of quick adventure, but with much slower combat sequences.

Still interesting, but the mix seems like it could be problematic.
User avatar
Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 am

Re: Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

Post by Fossaman »

Alen wrote:I watched a combat video and the music sounded bland. other than that looks interesting.
You just called Chopin's Prelude #15 in Db major 'bland'. I'm not sure I'll ever take anything you say seriously again.
User avatar
Rider
Not Ride Her
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:16 am

Re: Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

Post by Rider »

It looks curious, in a good way. I might actually take a shot at this if I'm ever in the mood for a tactical space-combat game.
Hehe, that's what I said!
Alen
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

Post by Alen »

Fossaman wrote:
Alen wrote:I watched a combat video and the music sounded bland. other than that looks interesting.
You just called Chopin's Prelude #15 in Db major 'bland'. I'm not sure I'll ever take anything you say seriously again.
My feelings! :cry: (someone had to use that smiley)

To be fair, after listening to the piece it was quite enjoyable. But the music didn't flow well with the combat in that vid for me.
User avatar
Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 am

Re: Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

Post by Fossaman »

I'll grant you that. I have a sneaking suspicion that the game's designers watched the Halo 3 commercial that used it for background music, and thought "Hey, that's a great idea! WE should do that!" and then didn't think it through the rest of the way.

For reference, and also because I think it's an awesome piece of advertising:
User avatar
Scott Irving
Site Admin
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 am
Location: The Tardis
Contact:

Re: Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

Post by Scott Irving »

I'll be trying the demo out tonight, looks like a really nice UI, does very much remind me of a simplified HW, but that could be a nice change. If I like it may get added to my groups list of lan games.

speaking of HW anybody played HW2: complex? now there's a complicated mod, but certainly makes it realistic. (sry off topic)

:update so I played it now, lost lol, view controls take a little bit of getting used to, very simply to play however, although the actual game has the same music as the video, not that I mind good classical, but it just doesn't quite suit the battle. at least this particular piece.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.
User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

Post by Lukipela »

Fossaman wrote: For reference, and also because I think it's an awesome piece of advertising:
That was pretty cool. Also liking the Youtube functionality, quite nice.
User avatar
Fossaman
Arilou wiseguy
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 am

Re: Star Control's Progeny - Flotilla

Post by Fossaman »

Lukipela wrote:Also liking the Youtube functionality, quite nice.
Yeah, I like being able to see the actual video title before being forced to watch it. I hate in-line youtube links with no description.
Post Reply