Star Control's Progeny - Captain Forever

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Star Control's Progeny - Captain Forever

Post by cymon »

http://www.captainforever.com/captainforever.php

I'm gonna start a few threads for game that definitely take a queue from Star Control. Has anyone played Captain Forever and has anyone here paid to be on the inside track for the sequels Captain Successor and Captain Impostor? I've only played the first, but I like what farbs is doing.

This game kinda illustrates why we don't see a full on Star Control clone. Star Control was just too blasted deep for one person to replicate. The top-down space shooting, the conversation trees, the strategy (SC1) or overworld story (SC2) modes. If I were to tackle a Star Control Neo I'd do it like this. Build one aspect of the game, release it for free, show screen shots of the other aspects as I develop them as their own stand alone games and offer people the chance to be on the inside track for a fee. Then bring them all together and sell the full game. For those on the inside discount the price. Call their membership fee a down-payment on the full game. Might actually get done if I could quit my day job and work on it. Kinda like my day job right now, tho.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Star Control's Progeny - Captain Forever

Post by Lukipela »

cymon wrote:http://www.captainforever.com/captainforever.php
I'm gonna start a few threads for game that definitely take a queue from Star Control. Has anyone played Captain Forever and has anyone here paid to be on the inside track for the sequels Captain Successor and Captain Impostor? I've only played the first, but I like what farbs is doing.

Never played it and I think I possibly died quite quickly. Should've probably read a manual, but it looked interesting at least.
This game kinda illustrates why we don't see a full on Star Control clone. Star Control was just too blasted deep for one person to replicate. The top-down space shooting, the conversation trees, the strategy (SC1) or overworld story (SC2) modes. If I were to tackle a Star Control Neo I'd do it like this. Build one aspect of the game, release it for free, show screen shots of the other aspects as I develop them as their own stand alone games and offer people the chance to be on the inside track for a fee. Then bring them all together and sell the full game. For those on the inside discount the price. Call their membership fee a down-payment on the full game. Might actually get done if I could quit my day job and work on it. Kinda like my day job right now, tho.
Not a bad idea. Besides the obvious reason that I'm not a programmer/artist/writer, I've never been inclined to partake in sequels because they require a massive amount of input from several different sources. It's pretty hard to pull something like that off without paid staff (though I of course hope that Cedric is going to do so). It seems that smaller games would be the way to go, possibly building up a team as you go along.
Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon »

I played this ages ago. It's a nice idea, and one I'd like to extend, but it gets tedious too fast. Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about it.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Some cool ships

One

Two
cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon »

Those two are pretty impressive, but they don't leave any room for actually playing the game. They're dynamos that can't be stopped. They're forces of nature leaving nothing within their attack radius. I think the more impressive one was featured on bytejacker:

http://www.bytejacker.com/blog/the-most ... l-ever-see

And that pretty much explains why it's awesome too.