Sexes, reproduction and Star Control!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: Sexes, reproduction and Star Control!

Post by chenjesuwizard » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:54 pm

It was implied that there was something more going on there, so chances are the Syreen and Humans could reproduce.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:49 pm

kingschosen wrote:
Cedric6014 wrote:
kingschosen wrote:I seriously doubt that humans and syreens could reproduce.
Well, its canon that they do, check out the ending sequence of SC2
I know it's canon, but from a practical, logical, and evolutionary standpoint, it's pretty unlikely.
Gentech in the Star Control years is way more advanced. It's unlikely now but in the future, who knows, they might breed gorilla's with barak obama!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:20 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:It was implied that there was something more going on there, so chances are the Syreen and Humans could reproduce.
Yeah, considering we've got at least one race of currently living mysterious space elves, another race of supposedly extinct space gods and a few other questionable characters, it might not be impossible that the Syreen and Earthlings share some history. It'd be amusing if their offspring were something like Ligers or Tigons though.

Regarding cross-species, I recall Arthur C Clarke had one species with three sexes, where one performed a transfer during conception and whatnot. Maybe ZFP have coevolved some dependencies, where a F is required for successful Z and P matings, binding them together.

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Which race is extinct gods?

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:51 pm

The Precursors, of course.

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:44 pm

kingschosen wrote:I seriously doubt that humans and syreens could reproduce.
I don't, I think the Syreen are an abandoned Arilou experiment (hence the Arilou not really caring about what happens to them, they're done with the Syreen), that comes from human rootstock, and they are a subspecies of human, not an alien race.

Subspecies can interbreed with fertile offspring.

If they where actual aliens, yeah, then it SHOULD be impossible to reproduce, the genetic differences would be bigger then between a human and a cucumber (With which we at least share about a quarter to a third of our genes, something like that) But I think the Syreen are essentially human, and their origin likes with the Arilou.

Maybe the Arilou fiddled around with the genetics of some abducted cavemen to check 'esper potential', hence the Syreens psionic abilities. And that's how the Syreen came about.

Actually for that matter, I think the ARILOU might be human. They're based on the Grey Alien mythology, and they where sometimes considered to be timetravelling future humans. (And the Arilou do mention exploring different times)

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:39 pm

I don't think they meant *times* as actual times. I believe they were referring to different dimensions or planes of existance.

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 pm

chenjesuwizard wrote:I don't think they meant *times* as actual times. I believe they were referring to different dimensions or planes of existance.

I disagree, they mention *(easy) places* and *time* as two different things. I think they mean both dimensional travel AND time travel.

The Arilou being timetravelling distant future humans would also explain very well why the survival of the human race is of paramount concern to them. And by altering humans, they're bringing themselves about. They don't care about the Syreen, because they don't descend from the Syreen. (Who are probably a finished or failed experiment.) But if the humans go extinct, they are erased from existance.

The Arilou also are fine with humanity being completely restrained (like under a slaveshield), because it's implied they can penetrate it anyway, and that way nothing can harm their progenitors. Although with the Kohr-Ah on the loose they figured that it was better to help to Captain. If it had only been the Kzer-Za they may have not been that interested in helping. However the Captain (Who's known to reproduce in the ending) may also be a part of some key genetic line that leads to the Arilou, so they'd be especially interested in his development (but also his wellbeing.)

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:26 pm

Anyway Arilou and Syreen aside... This is my two cents on SC2 races reproduction.

The following species are known from SC2 dialogue or other SC canon to have males and females.

Shofixti, Spathi, Syreen, Ur-Quan (and that'd cover both Ur-Quan species), Yehat, Pkunk, Druuge and Utwig. Possibly Slylandro (although they may have additional genders judging by the three types of glowy bits), and probably VUX.

Orz have no gender as they are just extensions of one being. Androsynth are neuter, Arilou I'd say probably have male and female genders (since I think they're future humans), Chmmr... I think genderless. Chenjesu are crystals and Mmrnmhrm are robots, so both genderless combining into another genderless species.

Mycon have a very odd breeding cycle, but they could be considered hermaphrodites, with each Mycon being able to swap genes with every other Mycon and then exhale spores from which new Mycon are grown.

Supox may be a single gender species breeding symbiotically with their hosts, although that's just a guess. Likewise I'd guess Thraddash are probably another male/female species. (Albeit perhaps with females that are just as brutish as the males to the point of being indistinguishable. Maybe that Thraddash you're talking to on the comm is a woman.)

Zoq-Fot-Pik... Well the plant one reproduces via spores. So that part of the trio may be single gender. Not sure about the others.

I'd say Ilwrath are probably a male/female species too, likely with females eating the males after mating, considering their spideryness and overall theme of death and destruction. Maybe the females are the big black ones you see on the captain screen and they have smaller male crewmembers that are the red guys. Maybe the females eat crew that doesn't perform well.

Umgah could be whatever gender they want, with their genetic modification.

Melnorme are the biggest mystery, but information about their reproduction is no doubt for sale for a really hefty fee.

Otherwise... Ilwrath are known to reproduce with eggsacks. Yehat and Pkunk lay eggs. Shofixti are marsupials. Syreen would breed the same way humans do. As would Druuge probably. Androsynth are grown artificially, and Spathi breed in massive waves (most of which probably die, or alternatively, not many Spathi live to breed) Chmmr are likely build. Mycon as mentioned, grow from a spore.

Umgah I could see budding off a parent like a sprout. I'd peg Ur-Quan and possibly VUX as hatching from eggs. And Thraddash and Utwig as livebearing. Supox and Slylandro probably bud off.

chenjesuwizard

Post by chenjesuwizard » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:10 pm

TSC wrote:
chenjesuwizard wrote:I don't think they meant *times* as actual times. I believe they were referring to different dimensions or planes of existance.

I disagree, they mention *(easy) places* and *time* as two different things. I think they mean both dimensional travel AND time travel.

The Arilou being timetravelling distant future humans would also explain very well why the survival of the human race is of paramount concern to them. And by altering humans, they're bringing themselves about. They don't care about the Syreen, because they don't descend from the Syreen. (Who are probably a finished or failed experiment.) But if the humans go extinct, they are erased from existance.
Firstly, the fact that *times* is in *'s shows that it's the translator having trouble with the word, so it's likely to be something else. Secondly, I'm sure that *easy places* are mentioned around the Quasi portal and that they say the portal is one of many *easy places* (I might be wrong) leading me to believe that *times* is dimensions and *easy places* is portals.