Wild Ur-quan speculation

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Re: Wild Ur-quan speculation

Post by Lobsterman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Death 999 wrote:eeeeevil butterflies
Ah, well that changes everything!
Alvarin wrote:
Lobsterman wrote:Plus the idea of butterfly Ur-Quan is ridiculous to me and takes away all their evil charm.
Well, I have posted it before, I'll post again, just because it fits the thread -
Nice drawing!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Bleeding Star wrote: 1) Super-genius leaders and commanders. Providing a tactical edge, and more importantly, the authority and ability to unite the two Ur-Quan sub-races to a common cause.

2) Mindless breeders that can massively boost the Ur-Quan reproduction rate, providing a numerical edge.

3) Powerful telepaths that give the Ur-Quan the ability to achieve dominance in not only the physical, but also the psychic realm.
4)A swarm, capable of devouring planets by sheer consumption. As technology devolves, their ships turn into enormous incubators, filled with cocoons that only hatch once the ship has crashed on a new, fertile world.

Sage
Wise and Ancient Soul

Post by Sage » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Okay, this actually sounds like an interesting challenge. Write and/or draw an alien butterfly in such a way as to portray them as genuinely threatening and/or evil.

I'll have to mull over that while I'm installing XP drivers today!

BaVB
Arilou wiseguy

Post by BaVB » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Maybe Ur-Quan live for a VERY long time, and the Ur-Quan nymphs have been the only Ur-Quan seen, but when Zelnick goes on a random adventure to the center of the galaxy, he finds the Precursors attacking the ADULT Ur-Quan!

So basically when you are a kid you go around enslaving races, but when you become an adult you go out to the center of the galaxy to battle Precursors since you are now mentally and physically superior all of the sudden.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 pm

So half of them are trying to enslave the Precursors and half are trying to exterminate them then?

BaVB
Arilou wiseguy

Post by BaVB » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Basically. Youngster Kzer-Za enslave tiny civilizations, youngster Kohr-Ah annihilate tiny civilizations, and then the adult Kzer-Za try to enslave the Precursors while the adult Kohr-Ah annihilate them.

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:50 pm

It's possible the Ur-Quan are a neotenous species. (Retains the appearance of a larval stage in adulthood) or that the Ur-Quan at the end of their life (Which not many Ur-Quan might reach) moult into a breeding stage, breed, spawn thousands of eggs (to make up for all the Ur-Quan who didn't make it) and then die.

But it's all speculation.

It might also be that the Ur-Quan just look like that, and aren't caterpillars per se, they're just what an Ur-Quan always looked like. (Actually they look more like some sort of worm-squid thing then a caterpillar to me anyway.)

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:47 pm

TSC wrote:Ialways looked like. (Actually they look more like some sort of worm-squid thing then a caterpillar to me anyway.)
There's a picture floating around somewhere in here of the terrestrial caterpillar that supposedly inspired the Ur-Quan.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:30 pm

oldlaptop wrote:
TSC wrote:Ialways looked like. (Actually they look more like some sort of worm-squid thing then a caterpillar to me anyway.)
There's a picture floating around somewhere in here of the terrestrial caterpillar that supposedly inspired the Ur-Quan.
Oh I know about those actually. There's a handful of carnivorous caterpillars and a few species of bloodsucking moths around here and there. Just even those don't have tentacles like the Ur-Quan.

So they still look more squiddy to me.

But whatever they look like doesn't really say much about their biology, their aliens. That might just be what an Ur-Quan looks like. Doesn't mean they need to mutate into another stage. Of course if they do, I'd say it's likely only a short-lived breeding stage. Because if it was some sort of commander phase, I think that'd have probably been shown. Like seeing a different sort of Quan when you attack the Sa-Matra.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Sage wrote:Okay, this actually sounds like an interesting challenge. Write and/or draw an alien butterfly in such a way as to portray them as genuinely threatening and/or evil.

I'll have to mull over that while I'm installing XP drivers today!
From the books mentioned earlier. Fuckers give me the willies.

http://non-aliencreatures.wikia.com/wiki/Slake_Moth

Slighly exaggerated:

http://sanfrancisco.grubstreet.com/2007 ... _sent.html

Or for something real:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death's-head_Hawkmoth

Butterfly + fungus = scary:

http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/worlds- ... ces-0672/1