Wild Ur-quan speculation

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Wild Ur-quan speculation

Post by Bleeding Star » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:57 am

So, while waiting on Project 6014 to complete, and wondering what plot twists Cedric has in mind for us, in particular what the Ur-Quan might do after their defeat, a peculiar thought hit me. The Ur-Quan are basically giant space caterpillars, right? On earth, the caterpillar is only a larval stage of an organism - what if the Ur-Quan are only the first stage in the life-cycle of another, unknown organism?

Perhaps the Dynarri, in their genetic modification of the Ur-Quan, turned off this adult stage, for reasons of control or convenience. And now, the Kzer-Za, in searching for an edge against the New Alliance, have re-activated this pathway, either accidentally or deliberately. Suddenly we have true adult Ur-Quan present, who might change the balance of power in the galaxy by occupying a number of roles.

1) Super-genius leaders and commanders. Providing a tactical edge, and more importantly, the authority and ability to unite the two Ur-Quan sub-races to a common cause.

2) Mindless breeders that can massively boost the Ur-Quan reproduction rate, providing a numerical edge.

3) Powerful telepaths that give the Ur-Quan the ability to achieve dominance in not only the physical, but also the psychic realm.

In any case, these new Ur-Quan would of course come with a super-hardcore new ship.

And what form would these beings take? Well, on earth, caterpillars generally turn into moths or butterflies. Now, you might say "Bleeding Star, giant carnivorous space caterpillars are awesome, but giant space butterflies: not so scary" And you might be right. But as a possible counter-example, I'd provide the slake-moths of China Meiville, the most bad-arse butterflies to be found in sci-fi or fantasy.

Now, the main argument against this theory, aside from the potential lameness aspect, is the complete lack of support in any of the games or associated documentation. But who knows? The Dynarri may have erased all evidence and memory of such a stage from galaxy. Or something.

Anyhow, just a thought. Any other ideas what the Ur-Quan might be up to? Escaping to another dimension? Trying to re-create the brown Ur-Quan? Becoming a peaceful race of flower-arranging experts?

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: Wild Ur-quan speculation

Post by Draxas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Bleeding Star wrote:Now, the main argument against this theory, aside from the potential lameness aspect, is the complete lack of support in any of the games or associated documentation. But who knows? The Dynarri may have erased all evidence and memory of such a stage from galaxy. Or something.
The Melnorme would know about it, at least, because they know pretty much everything. One wonders why the Captain never flat-out asks them how much information on the Precursors would cost. If the Ur-Quan used to have a metamorphosis, they, or at least their contacts, would know about it.
Anyhow, just a thought. Any other ideas what the Ur-Quan might be up to? Escaping to another dimension? Trying to re-create the brown Ur-Quan? Becoming a peaceful race of flower-arranging experts?
I expect they would be either coping with, or resisting the idea of, their failure and the failure of their respective doctrines. I've always hated the idea of the Ur-Quan trying to reunite into "browns"; the social and philosophical rift between the Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah is enormous, and each have terrible psychological flaws that result in mutually exclusive outlooks on pretty much everything. While they may work together as military allies, I doubt they would ever be able to form a cohesive society with each other ever again, never mind actively trying to genetically recombine themselves into a single race.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:58 pm

It is possible that this is a stage that is dormant in the species (even they didn't know about it)
It is also possible that the Melnorme did not think it relevant at that time, perhaps as they knew that the Ur-Quan were not planning to activate it, at least until the doctrine was over.They would have sold it after the war was won.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Seeing this got me thinking about what speculation even means in this context. I suspect it basically amounts to 'fanon', with no real element of speculation.

As for the idea in question, well, it doesn't follow naturally, but what with the genetic alterations it kind of fits. What do the Slylandro say about the brown Ur-Quan they remember?

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:57 am

Draxas wrote:
I expect they would be either coping with, or resisting the idea of, their failure and the failure of their respective doctrines. I've always hated the idea of the Ur-Quan trying to reunite into "browns"; the social and philosophical rift between the Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah is enormous, and each have terrible psychological flaws that result in mutually exclusive outlooks on pretty much everything. While they may work together as military allies, I doubt they would ever be able to form a cohesive society with each other ever again, never mind actively trying to genetically recombine themselves into a single race.
Quasi serious answer: I opt for flower arrangers. The Kohr-ah will probably just carry on trying to kill everything but Kzer-za could decide the doctrines of enslavement and death are flawed and undergo a society sweeping change.

zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:30 am

Being that they were modified already, it might not matter what they were previously. If they were incline to change themselves, they could've done it. I am sure the Umgahs would've been delighted to experiment with it. Then there is the why. Why would they want turn into butterflies if they can reproduce already. Also, they might not have a food source that exist anymore if they were butterflies in a possible distant past. Can they adjust to going from meat eating to drinking sugary fluids only? AND going butterfly would be starting the end of the life cycle. How much time would they have in their final form.

2) Urquans are numerous enough and they are very territorial. That's why you have one per dreadnought. More Urquans probably mean them killing each other more until they get enough space between them.
Bleeding Star wrote:So, while waiting on Project 6014 to complete, and wondering what plot twists Cedric has in mind for us, in particular what the Ur-Quan might do after their defeat, a peculiar thought hit me. The Ur-Quan are basically giant space caterpillars, right? On earth, the caterpillar is only a larval stage of an organism - what if the Ur-Quan are only the first stage in the life-cycle of another, unknown organism?

2) Mindless breeders that can massively boost the Ur-Quan reproduction rate, providing a numerical edge.

And what form would these beings take? Well, on earth, caterpillars generally turn into moths or butterflies. Now, you might say "Bleeding Star, giant carnivorous space caterpillars are awesome, but giant space butterflies: not so scary" And you might be right. But as a possible counter-example, I'd provide the slake-moths of China Meiville, the most bad-arse butterflies to be found in sci-fi or fantasy.

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:43 pm

I think that in spite of the fact that they look like caterpillars, they probably have nothing whatsoever to do with them evolutionary speaking.
They had to get inspiration from somewhere when they made this game, so no wonder some of the alien races are reminescent of earth animals, but I don't think that should automatically mean they have any similarities besides appearance.

Plus the idea of butterfly Ur-Quan is ridiculous to me and takes away all their evil charm.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:23 pm

eeeeevil butterflies

Quinarbre
Orz *camper*

Post by Quinarbre » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Death 999 wrote:eeeeevil butterflies
... that ruin worlds by flapping their wings until there's a hurricane ?

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Lobsterman wrote:Plus the idea of butterfly Ur-Quan is ridiculous to me and takes away all their evil charm.
Well, I have posted it before, I'll post again, just because it fits the thread -
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.