The perished races

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

The perished races

Post by Lukipela » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Are the Ilwrath and Traddash truly gone? Are all those worlds now empty, and is that even possible? Do you think either species has survived? And if so, were are they hiding out? And what will they do next?

There is an ethical component here as well, if they are all dead, does that make Zelnick guilty of double xenocide? Or does the situation justify it? And what will become of their worlds? Will wars brake out as other races try to claim these worlds, eager to discover the technological secrets of the Ilwrath and Thraddash? I bet afterburners and cloaks are things that many races might covet...

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: The perished races

Post by Alvarin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm pretty sure Zelnick can't be blamed for the genocide, as I think that when impersonating the horrific duo, he intended to send Ilwrath to fight Kohr-Ah.

I'm pretty sure that all the spiders are gone, but Thraddash might have partially survived somewhere, but in too small numbers to represent a sphere of any influence.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:39 am

It's more likely that the Ilwrath survived, since the Thraddash would not know where the Ilwrath home planet was.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:43 am

It's kind of unrealistic that both races were rendered absolutely extinct. Not *every* one of the Ilwrath would have gone along to get killed by the Thraddash, not *every* Thraddash would have marched out to fight instead of running away, etc. I'd say there are remnants of each race, possibly hiding underground on the homeworlds or something like that, or else hiding on the surface of some obscure planet like Fwiffo.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:44 am

Ilwrath are the fanatics. They would try until the last one spider is dead.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Their leaders are fanatics, at least.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:09 pm

Alvarin wrote:I'm pretty sure Zelnick can't be blamed for the genocide, as I think that when impersonating the horrific duo, he intended to send Ilwrath to fight Kohr-Ah.
Does his intentions matter if he set a race of genocidal spiders on a race he had (possibly) already tricked into getting mauled by the Kohr-Ah? I mean,best case scenario is that he tricks yet another race into a meat grinder...[/quote]
oldlaptop wrote:It's kind of unrealistic that both races were rendered absolutely extinct. Not *every* one of the Ilwrath would have gone along to get killed by the Thraddash, not *every* Thraddash would have marched out to fight instead of running away, etc. I'd say there are remnants of each race, possibly hiding underground on the homeworlds or something like that, or else hiding on the surface of some obscure planet like Fwiffo.
I know this is probably outside the reach of P6014, but I'd love to find fugitives that have set up new home-worlds somewhere. if the torch ever gets fixed, imagine flying into a zone where seven Cultures are busy fighting for supremacy.
Alvarin wrote:Ilwrath are the fanatics. They would try until the last one spider is dead.
Like D_999 said, not every Ilwrath needs to be a fanatic. And even if they are, might there not be spiritual disagreement regarding the interpretation of the holy word? Our religions fracture at the drop of a hat, I'd be surprised if there were no splinters in theirs.

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:43 pm

There were, but they pulled them all out and ate them. I believe they say something to that effect if you ask them about it.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Dabir wrote:There were, but they pulled them all out and ate them. I believe they say something to that effect if you ask them about it.
All of them? Religions live for secret cults and clans that hide amongst the regular believers. a religion stepeed in torture, treachery and all things evil would probably produce quite a few secret societies.

But say that they are gone. Who goes in to get their stuff? Do we really want to risk the Umgah getting afterburners or the Spathi getting cloaks? Does the NAFS annect the area and control it? Do we set up no fly zones?

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:48 am

ofcourse they aren't gone. Nothing is ever truly lost.