Serving your race, where to do so?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Serving your race, where to do so?

Post by Angelfish »

Orz Nemesis, definitely. I'd like to get out of the ship and visit interesting new places sometime ;).
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

I thought the topic was more on "serving" than on "having fun"
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Alvarin wrote:I thought the topic was more on "serving" than on "having fun"
Okay then, the druuge mauler would be the best choice. On the mauler you don't just serve as a 'hitpoint', you're a rich source of energy aswell!
Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman »

Angelfish wrote:Orz Nemesis, definitely. I'd like to get out of the ship and visit interesting new places sometime ;).
Besides, the ships are filled with liquid ethanol if you ever feel like partying!

I'd imagine they could make a custom suit for you to wear inside the ship where you'd have a sucking straw to the outside liquid and various assorted mixers available.
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear »

Well, what better place to serve the Earthling race then...the Earthling cruiser! At least the recreation deck would be customized to the needs of a Human {As opposed to, say, an Umgah Drone's recreation deck :o-smf }. Other then that, being a navigator onboard a Supox Blade sounds pretty fun, lets go counter some Dreadnaughts!

Now, I'm quite a wimp, so a Torch would definitely not be my thing. The same applies to a Mauler {Not so much the human fuel furnaces as much as hanging around on chains though}
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Nuclear wrote:Well, what better place to serve the Earthling race then...the Earthling cruiser! At least the recreation deck would be customized to the needs of a Human {As opposed to, say, an Umgah Drone's recreation deck :o-smf }.
Seriously? None of these ships (except maybe "cap ships" like the Dreadnought) would have rec areas. The cruiser looks to be set up quite similarly to a submarine, and anyone who has ever served aboard a sub can tell you that it's as for from pleasant as they come, mainly because there's no space to do anything.
Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria »

The only suitable answer is to petition to remain on the Starbase.

Hyperspace? Nty.
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

Draxas wrote:Seriously? None of these ships (except maybe "cap ships" like the Dreadnought) would have rec areas. The cruiser looks to be set up quite similarly to a submarine, and anyone who has ever served aboard a sub can tell you that it's as for from pleasant as they come, mainly because there's no space to do anything.
I'd normally be inclined to agree. On the other hand, they managed to cram 200 scientists and their instruments into one. Without that load, there's got to be some room free.

And submarine volume is largely constrained by wanting to remain silent; being as small as possible helps substantially with that, so it's done. In space, the most comparable constraints are low mass leading to higher acceleration, and wanting to minimize the surface area and target profile. The first of these is the biggest deal. Since the contents of a rec room would be light, I expect that there would be some hollow space that would be multi-purpose - in battle it would be the triage room. It wouldn't be large, but it would exist.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Death 999 wrote:
Draxas wrote:Seriously? None of these ships (except maybe "cap ships" like the Dreadnought) would have rec areas. The cruiser looks to be set up quite similarly to a submarine, and anyone who has ever served aboard a sub can tell you that it's as for from pleasant as they come, mainly because there's no space to do anything.
I'd normally be inclined to agree. On the other hand, they managed to cram 200 scientists and their instruments into one. Without that load, there's got to be some room free.

And submarine volume is largely constrained by wanting to remain silent; being as small as possible helps substantially with that, so it's done. In space, the most comparable constraints are low mass leading to higher acceleration, and wanting to minimize the surface area and target profile. The first of these is the biggest deal. Since the contents of a rec room would be light, I expect that there would be some hollow space that would be multi-purpose - in battle it would be the triage room. It wouldn't be large, but it would exist.
I think the unlimited amount of nukes take up quite some space in a cruiser ;). Without those nukes, a lot of people would fit onto one such cruiser.
Fully stacked your best hope is that some your crewmates die in battle so you can use their cabins as poker rooms.
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Death 999 wrote:I'd normally be inclined to agree. On the other hand, they managed to cram 200 scientists and their instruments into one. Without that load, there's got to be some room free.
Even if they were in cold sleep, that's still a good point. Nonetheless, the Cruiser really doesn't seem to be terribly roomy; they probably had to unload most of those nukes before they left to fit all that stuff on there.
Angelfish wrote:Fully stacked your best hope is that some your crewmates die in battle so you can use their cabins as poker rooms.
Remind me never to serve on a vessel with you. Sheesh.