Serving your race, where to do so?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Serving your race, where to do so?

Post by Lukipela » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:42 pm

So, it's an exciting time eh? After toiling away mindlessly on the Starbase for years, resentment towards your cruel Ur-Quan masters brewing in your heart, the chance to strike back has finally arrived. The amazing Captain, flying his exotic starship saved you all from certain death. And not only that, he also managed to convince old man Hayes to rebel. It's time to strike back at those slimy quannies, and strike back well. Alas, because you don't have any military background, you've been stuck at the station even after these exciting events. Sure, Zelnick has brought back some exciting allies and stories, but you'd really want to serve your race in combat.

Well, today is your lucky day. Because losses have been rather high, even non-military personnel can now apply to serve in the fleet. There are plenty of Shofixti to go around of course, but they're not that technically savvy. There is still a large need for officers that know a bit more. People like you.

So you've decided to fill out an application. Only one question remains. What kind of ship should you apply for? A Spathi Eluder, with it's massive amount of bewildering corridors? A Orz ship, with all those spooky stomping fishies? Or maybe you'd like to cram in with the Zoq-Fot-Pik and chat about frungy.

So in short, where would you like to serve your race? And on what ship would you definitely not want to serve. Any race you have access to during a normal one player game counts (so even Umgah and Arilou).

Personally, I'd like to serve aboard a Supox ship. I imagine that living among plants would feel quite serene, even during battle.
I definitely wouldn't want to join a Traddash ship, I'd probably not last the day.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: Serving your race, where to do so?

Post by chenjesuwizard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:28 pm

I would hate a druuge ship. It'd be pretty sucky.

I'm not really sure which ship I would like to be in... I wouldn't mind a Yehat ship, since they're pretty nice people, as with the Z-F-P.
Really, as long as they weren't to horrible or annoying, I'd be fine.

Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:29 am

For some reason I've always imagined I'd get along pretty well with the Umgah. That being said I'm not a big fan of gorey intestinal stuff, so I'd probably get pretty freaked out by the ship's interior. Not to mention all the horrible and cruel jokes they'd play on me once they found out... *shudder*

Maybe a chmmr ship, I've always been endlessly fascinated with the chenjesu, and I guess the chmmr would just have to cut it. Besides, not much to fear from combat situations when you're situated in an avatar. So yeah, I'd definitely want to serve my duty on a chmmr avatar.

As for what I'd avoid, well the pkunk just annoy me with all their psychic ramblings, so I guess I'd steer away from that. I'd be even more reluctant to join a shofixti scout though, knowing those guys and their fondness of the glory device. Even in times of peace I'd feel pretty shaky knowing the ship I'm in is rigged to self destruct by the push of a button.

I would also love to fly around with the melnorme, if anything just to figure out why the bridge turns purple. Then again those aren't allies in that sense so it'd probably cost a whole crapload to be able to even step inside one of their ships.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:47 am

I think I would have applied to Earthling Cruiser, as I believe it to be the only ship for human to be able to operate with full efficiency. I think close second would be Utwig.
I'd really hate joining Pkunk ship, I think, as I would go mad in a week... Especially if I resurrected with it. (wonder what that would do to Christianity...)
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 pm

I'd say a Cruiser, Jugger, Blade, Terminator, or Avatar wouldn't be too unpleaseant to serve on.
Keep me off board any Maulers, Torches, Drones, or Scouts. The life expectancy of crew is far too short, for one reason or another. I can't imagine it would be terribly pleasant aboard an Eluder or Skiff, simply because I'd have to be crammed in there like a sardine. The Nemesis is probably not a great idea eaither, what with the need to be in an isolation suit the entire time due to the gases not being breathable. A Penetrator might seem nice on the surface, but the stories of psychological horror about what happens onboard rules that one out pretty quick too. Stinger or Fury seem like decent choices, until the constant bickering or wacko mysticism drivee me batty.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Being a male and serving on the Penetrator? I'll never get any work done...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 am

Alvarin wrote:Being a male and serving on the Penetrator? I'll never get any work done...
That depends on what your definition of 'work' is... ^-^-smf
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 am

Arilou Skiff: Don't know if they would let anybody on or not, but even if they did, I'd be afraid of them doing experiments on me or... whatever they do...

Chmmr Avatar: Probably the best bet in terms of safety (Besides the Eluder). I might get kind of boring, though- I don't think Chmmr are much for conversation.

Druuge Mauler: No.

Earthling Cruiser: Humans. I've been trapped on a starbase for 40 years with a bunch of humans. Boring.

Melnorme Trader: If they say I can come on, well, hey- I'll do it!

Orz Nemesis: "Wait, you didn't want me to pull that lever?!?! I thought you said to *grab* the *fishing pole*. Isn't that what you... Hey, why did everything start flashing red? What? My *Rubber* is *Sinking*...? What?"

Pkunk Fury: It might be kind of fun, they're a talkative bunch. I might get dizzy if they try a "Death Blossom", though.

Shofixti Scout: Another fun choice. A very lively ship, with some furry creatures you can truly call, 'friends'. And then you blow up!

...I'll finish this later.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:59 am

I'd probably like it best aboard a Cruiser, for obvious reasons. None of the other ships would really be comfortable for humans over the long term, I don't think. Even if the atmosphere is tolerable, stuff like temperature or ambient light (I'd imagine the Supox ships are green throughout, for instance) would really get on one's nerves after a while.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:10 am

Dyandod wrote: Melnorme Trader: If they say I can come on, well, hey- I'll do it!
I was unable to respond to this thread as I didn't have any idea on my answer. Ling was the obvious, boring choice, but I didn't feel like that would serve as much of a response. Dyandod's mention of Melnorme certainly does seem correct, though. Exploring the space, meeting all kinds of new races and having more information available than any other starship. Definitely Melnorme.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod