Planet X and the Spathi

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Planet X and the Spathi

Post by Maloo Oture » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:10 am

I was just reading about the theory of Planet X, lying just beyond Pluto. The planet is rumored to one day collide with the Earth ending life as we know it.

Well, after some thought, an considering the planet isn't proven to exist, this sounds alot like the Spathi and their Ultimate Evil theory.

Any thoughts?

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Planet X and the Spathi

Post by Death 999 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 am

Planet X? As I heard it, it's supposed to fly by Earth every few thousand years and cause all number of cataclysms, including the inversion of the Earth's magnetic poles; the mechanism of this is never given. But every thing about it is bad.

So, uh, yeah. A lot like the Ultimate Evil.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:07 am

I'm not entirely sure about it, not having a lot if interest in astronomy, but wasn't a planetoid discovered some years ago beyond Pluto? I think it was named "Selena" or something similar...
I just remember it being deemed not a planet and Pluto not being one as well.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:30 am

Yes, there are many different versions of the story, I believe.

Alvarin; There are plenty of planetoids in our solar system. These are, for some reason, not associated with this theory. At least the version I read...

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Planet X is a Inquirer type thing. Unlike Sedna, Quaoar, or Eris, Planet X is purported to:
A) have a highly elliptical ten thousand year orbit that brings it within the orbit of the Earth
B) have powers that defy explanation
C) exist despite a total lack of evidence
D) have been incoming to strike/do a near passby of the Earth every few years since 1985; each claim is conveniently forgotten in time for the next scare

The other three do have evidence for their existence, stay way the heck out there, and I have never heard of mystical powers being attributed to them.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Right, I meant Sedna, not Selena.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

RTyp06
Ilwrath spawn

Post by RTyp06 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:21 pm

Planet X is a Inquirer type thing. Unlike Sedna, Quaoar, or Eris, Planet X is purported to:
A) have a highly elliptical ten thousand year orbit that brings it within the orbit of the Earth
B) have powers that defy explanation
C) exist despite a total lack of evidence
D) have been incoming to strike/do a near passby of the Earth every few years since 1985; each claim is conveniently forgotten in time for the next scare
Not to be confused with "Nemesis" hypotheses about a possible companion star to Sol to explain extinction events. Also, you are describing the planet x "Nibiru" which is a doomsday myth. In the 19th century however a planet x was postulated to explain Neptune's orbital oddities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(star)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_X

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:56 pm

The Spathi's Ultimate Evil wasn't a real thing though. it was obviously the Spathi scaring themselves by imagining horrible monsters lurked forever outside their sensor range.

Not that I think things like Nibiru or Nemesis are real things mind you, I totally don't. It's just conspiracy mumbo jumbo in my opinion.

Just I think the Spathi's ultimate evil was just a joke about how the Spathi are scared of just about everything and conjure up new fears that lurk beyond the reaches of their knowledge.