Help! Star Control 2 Fonts

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Re: Help! Star Control 2 Fonts

Post by dczanik » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:12 am

Quin: :shock: That looks awesome! Attached is some of my selections, unless somebody can find better choices.

I've found that the title font is: ITC Machine Font. I'm not going to use that font since it's a commercial font.
Angelfish: I want the fonts to be available for free. So if somebody else wants to make a mod too, they don't have to pay $30 for the privilege. I can offer all the fonts in a .zip file for anybody (free for non commercial use). There's thousands of free fonts I can use.

Alright. I've put together some fonts. If you don't like a font, please don't complain. Just suggest another free true-type font that you think would suit the alien better. I'm trying to keep the fonts sci-fi but some aliens (like the pkunk) just seem to work better when it's not sci-fi. I'm moving away from most of the original SC2 fonts, because I think some of these fonts simply look better and fit the alien more. The Timewarp fonts for the Ilwrath and CHMMR look custom. But I think the Ilwrath font here works too.

The in-game menu font (Starmap, Navigate, Game, etc.) will be the probe font. I've named each font used, in case somebody wants it.
Attachments
starcontrol2-urquanmastersfonts1.jpg
starcontrol2-urquanmastersfonts1.jpg (122.29 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:29 am

Part 2 of the fonts. I wanted to seperate the 2 fonts for Chenjesu and mmrnmhnrm. Give them each a unique look. Maybe someday somebody can make a prequel or something to the game.

Dynarri's font was the closest I could come to the CHMMR font. You can see it here. Supox has leaves on it. Not sure how that will look in-game though. I don't know if I can change the font directly in the comm, but I'd like it if the Orz had 2 fonts for them. Cinematic is the font used for the intro. Unlike the intro font though, it's all uppercase letters. But, I like this better than the original font.

Title: The closest free font I could come to match the original. If somebody finds something that looks cooler, I'd like to know. Right now, it's between this font, and the one from the posting I made earlier.

The rest of the fonts, Mycon, Shofixti, etc. should be like the timewarp's fonts.
Attachments
starcontrol2-urquanmastersfonts2.jpg
starcontrol2-urquanmastersfonts2.jpg (111.99 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:36 am

I love it.
And thanks for listing the names!

Quinarbre
Orz *camper*

Post by Quinarbre » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:08 pm

What I don't like about what I did is the pixelated look of it. I can produce anti-aliased bitmaps, but they make strong use of partial transparency and I fear the game engine can't handle it. I'll look into that too...

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:17 pm

The font you have for Arilou is very hard to read. Perhaps something more like :

http://www.whatfontis.com/Puritan-Alternate-Bold.font
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:19 pm

I also don't like the Arilou font at all. Other than that, though, the others are excellent.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:44 pm

How about Image?

Agree, I like all the others except the Arilou.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:58 pm

No, that might fit the Pkunk, but not in the Arilou spirit...
Maybe this one? It is even named similarly.
http://www.whatfontis.com/Auriol-Std-Bold-Italic.font

I am trying to find a font that would be somewhat spooky and reflect mental communication.
some candidates:
http://www.fonts2u.com/desert-area-q.font
http://www.fonts2u.com/dark-side-brk.font
http://www.fonts2u.com/canon.font
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:08 am

Alvarin wrote:No, that might fit the Pkunk, but not in the Arilou spirit...
But, but, cosmic star children. WhoooOOoooooo (read in Philip J. Fry's voice). Okay, I see your point; probably better for the Pkunk (but dczanik's choice is still preferable).

Unfortunately out of the candidates I liked Canon but it's only free for personal use. The other two suggest evil rather than spooky to me (too many spikes).

How about the Alice in Wonderland font: Image?

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:12 am

I've thought of it while browsing, but it doesn't convey either "telepatic", "mysterious" or 'spooky"...
By the way, is there automatic way to post here the examples, or you manually make and upload screenshots?

How about this one?
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (12.01 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.