The Chmmr Avatar and its design...

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

The Chmmr Avatar and its design...

Post by Angelfish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:36 pm

A discussion in another topic made me wonder about the following.

Robots don't need an athmosphere. Crystalline creatures don't need an athmosphere. Sapphire worlds don't have an athmosphere. The mother ark, I think, doesn't have an athmosphere.
The Chmmr don't need an athmosphere.

Then why does the Chmmr Avatar have wings like an aeroplane?

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Re: The Chmmr Avatar and its design...

Post by Draxas » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Because it looks cool.

Why does the X-Form also have wings? Surely they could have simple made a more compact, wingless vessel that simply switches its weapons and drive systems. Arguably, it would have been a more efficient design, since fewer moving parts means there are fewer places likely to break down. But that wouldn't have any visual appeal at all.

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:14 pm

You're assuming that the Chmmr would never enter a system with an atmosphere. They are infinitely intelligent and diplomatic, so they planned on being in systems that had one.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:22 pm

kingschosen wrote:You're assuming that the Chmmr would never enter a system with an atmosphere. They are infinitely intelligent and diplomatic, so they planned on being in systems that had one.
I think you're confusing the chmmr with the chenjesu here...

kingschosen
Pkunk Captain

Post by kingschosen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Angelfish wrote:
kingschosen wrote:You're assuming that the Chmmr would never enter a system with an atmosphere. They are infinitely intelligent and diplomatic, so they planned on being in systems that had one.
I think you're confusing the chmmr with the chenjesu here...
No. When the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm combined their attributes did as well. Even though the combination was rushed, that did not mean that their ship's design was. It was carefully designed by both the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm before the Chmmr existed.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Just because the Chenjesu don't need an atmosphere doesn't mean that their home planet doesn't have an atmosphere.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Dyandod wrote:Just because the Chenjesu don't need an atmosphere doesn't mean that their home planet doesn't have an atmosphere.
They live on a sapphire world. Sapphire worlds don't have an athmosphere ;)

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:07 am

The ship must be designed to be able to fly efficiently in an atmosphere, I think. Just because our species needs an atmosphere doesn't mean we've never visited an airless world (the moon).

DefenderDT
Hunam adventurer

Post by DefenderDT » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:04 am

I always thought of it like this;

A ship that powerful has to have a vast amount of space to keep it balanced. Just like a ship has to have a special section dedicated in it's underbelly to provide buoyancy, I believe the Avatar has those wings to keep it from rolling around.

Also note that the rest of the ships one could consider 'massive' has a wider area than the others.

The Dreadnaught;
The Broodhome;
etc.

Also I would think they would want to put their ZapSat control nodes as close as they can to them without in-turn putting their hull near their 'barrier'. If the control nodes are near them, this also explains how the Avatar can use the Tractor-Beam weapon to drag enemies in, but not their own Sats.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:54 am

Eth wrote:The ship must be designed to be able to fly efficiently in an atmosphere, I think. Just because our species needs an atmosphere doesn't mean we've never visited an airless world (the moon).
So they intended to do low-altitude bombardments of Hierarchy planets, I think ;).

I opened this topic because people were criticizing a game maker of having just ships with wings. What if all those ships need to enter the athmosphere? Plausible lore explanation right there.