Your Opinion of the Androsynth

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Your Opinion of the Androsynth

Post by Angelfish »

Lukipela wrote:"My" Androsynth came both as males and females. I had some pretty detailed scribblings on them, but I'm saving most of that for ABKS chapter 2. Basically they were people, not just stereotypes. There were traditionalists, reformists, northeners and city folks. They had different opinions on humans and the war. Generally much smarter than humans, and physically more perfect, but in other ways very much like us.
That's not what I had in mind for the androsynth. Weren't they just 'tools' created by the humans, for a specific, unknown purpose?
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

Their purposes were hardly unknown. The first generation were desined to be the perfect lab assisstants and researchers. Once that was successful, they branched out to encompass pretty much any profession you can think of (except soldier, anyway).
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Angelfish wrote:That's not what I had in mind for the androsynth. Weren't they just 'tools' created by the humans, for a specific, unknown purpose?
Like Draxas said, based on the backstory I imagined them to be humans, improved in specific ways. Smart ones for research, meticulous ones for keeping records, stronger ones for challenging physical labour that required a person present and so forth. Since they were expensive to produce they'd probably all have some general health boosts, a strong immune system, physical fitness, things like that. But even though they were made in a laboratory and were, in some respects, far superior to normal humans, I still imagine that they aren't that unlike us. They'd still hate, love, resent, forgive, laugh and cry much the same way we do. Lobotomizing them into thoughtless machines made out of flesh would, IMO, decrease their efficiency, especially in the intellectual fields.

Because they were basically human, other humans could relate to them. One ABKS specific thing that was already revealed in the game is their names. To dehumanise them, they were originally given numbers and codes, rather than names. To set them apart from real people. But later on, as they were used to fill new positions where they came into daily contact with people, they were given names that were easier to pronounce and more comfortable to use. After their escape, the traditionalists eschewed these "too human" names as "slave names" and returned to their original names. The war brought a lot of anti-human propaganda, bringing these people to the top, often putting them in command of things like starships. During this time the humans on the Androsynth world were a well kept secret. To the new oppressors, they didn't look much different. But in the new harsher climate, they no longer fitted in as well as before. and lets face it, they hadn't fitted in too good before either, seeing as they were unable to perform as well and efficiently as the Androsynth.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

... but why were they created? With what purpose? And why were they deliberately made sterile?
The combination of those 2 facts makes me think that they were created to be slaves.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Oh absolutely, they were created as tools/slaves. Sophisticated ones, but tools/slaves nonetheless. I'm not sure I understand your question though? Making your slave sterile is a good way of keeping control. But any human can be a tool/slave, and just because the Synth were better tools doesn't automatically make them less human. Just better at some things.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Lukipela wrote:Oh absolutely, they were created as tools/slaves. Sophisticated ones, but tools/slaves nonetheless. I'm not sure I understand your question though? Making your slave sterile is a good way of keeping control. But any human can be a tool/slave, and just because the Synth were better tools doesn't automatically make them less human. Just better at some things.
But why would someone with the intent to create tools/slaves just include sterility as a way to keep them under control? I am guessing that by then they have also figured out a way to block violent/angry/depressed/sad emotions in these clones. As a normal human/androsynth being, realizing that you and everyone around you is sterile, can cause depressions in the synths, making these valuable (we're prolly talking millions of dollars per synth) tools/slaves useless. So I figure they disabled certain genes or kept the synths under medications to subdue such feelings.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

I don't see sterility as much of an issue. If your an imprisoned slave, being led between your work station and where you sleep, it's not like you're going to have much of a chance to procreate anyway. And as you say, there are drugs that can subdue those urges and correct other problems, drugs the Synth may well be very susceptible to.

But if you're a jailor worrying about one of your super-intelligent slaves escaping, you wouldn't want him/her to produce dozens of untraceable halfbreeds among the local populace before you caught the runaway. I mean, we don't want to mix GMO crops with normal ones, I'm guessing that's an issue with clones as well.

But that's just my opinion.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Lukipela wrote:I don't see sterility as much of an issue. If your an imprisoned slave, being led between your work station and where you sleep, it's not like you're going to have much of a chance to procreate anyway. And as you say, there are drugs that can subdue those urges and correct other problems, drugs the Synth may well be very susceptible to.

But if you're a jailor worrying about one of your super-intelligent slaves escaping, you wouldn't want him/her to produce dozens of untraceable halfbreeds among the local populace before you caught the runaway. I mean, we don't want to mix GMO crops with normal ones, I'm guessing that's an issue with clones as well.

But that's just my opinion.
But were they imprisoned from the start onwards, or only when the law declared them subhuman?
If you're a scientist with complete control over the human genome AND malicious intentions, like Hsien Ho undoubtedly was (otherwise you wouldn't create an infertile slave race), why would you just go for the infertility? I'm thinking he'd build in some kind of kill switch or something, and disable their emotions altogether, because those get in the way if you are infertile and basically have a useless life.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

My take would be that infertility is pretty easy, genetically speaking, compared to shutting down only your emotions but not the creativity required to perform research work. The first Synth were designed to fill research positions and (I assume) similar functions that require creativity and intelligence. Creativity and emotions are pretty connected, as I understand it. Turn one off and the other might be lacking.
Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria »

Angelfish wrote:But were they imprisoned from the start onwards, or only when the law declared them subhuman?
If you're a scientist with complete control over the human genome AND malicious intentions, like Hsien Ho undoubtedly was (otherwise you wouldn't create an infertile slave race), why would you just go for the infertility? I'm thinking he'd build in some kind of kill switch or something, and disable their emotions altogether, because those get in the way if you are infertile and basically have a useless life.
Did Ho have malicious intentions? I think it honestly depends on whether or not he saw them as being humans or not. Even if Ho was a brilliant scientist, which is undoubtedly so, it doesn't mean he had the capabilities to actually modify all of the genes he was copying, plus considering to be able to knock out emotions just through genes you'd have to go through some pretty heavy duty brain functions, isolate that strand, and then figure out how it all worked from tiny little chemical reactions. Crazy stuff, considering how much of a mystery the brain still is.