Your Opinion of the Androsynth

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Your Opinion of the Androsynth

Post by Maloo Oture » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:57 pm

I guess I understand.

I don't want to get off topic or anything. I understand what you said about white racism. It's like what you said, it was all at once. But still in waves in a sense. Different people got freedoms before others. (That's how I see it as a 'wave' kinda thing).

I was just using homosexuality as an example. If things actually happened the way I described them, I'd want off this planet. ASAP.

I thought I read somewhere that all the androsynth had the same style? Canon? Fanfic? I dunno. But if it were true, it'd make it easier to distinguish them from the rest of the humans.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:37 pm

TSC wrote: I think it might have been from SC1 or a manual? If I google it I do find some pages that say it's short for android synthetic. Maybe that's all wrong?
Could you link one of those pages? All I get when googling Android Synthetic is stuff about the dudes from Alien

Regarding the whole "Easier to repress robots", I agree with Draxas. People of the future are still people, and we aren't immune to the base instincts we have today. One of which is to suppress that which is foreign and strange. If the Androsynth had some limited rights before, religion would be the perfect way to strip them of it. Immigrants have always been a good target, and synthetic immigrants all the more.

The idea that Androsynth act very differently is really interesting, sort of an Uncanny Valley thing. Now I'm peeved I never thought of that.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:50 pm

Well, the idea has come up before, at the bottom of page 1 for instance.

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:55 pm

Google androsynth and android synthetics, not just android synthetics.

As for me, I very much prefer biosynthoids for the Androsynth and I totally don't buy humans would ever bring slavery back against other humans at all. (Not without current society being completely wiped out and starting from scratch.) It makes no sense to me whatsoever, I'll be honest about that. So if they where meant to be just flesh and blood clones, no matter how odd they acted, I am not buying their backstory. I mean you can tell me over and over that humans are pricks, and I don't disagree per se. It's just that the prickishness isn't out of malice and there's a method to the madness that wouldn't allow for slavery to ever be brought back without history being completely wiped out first. And that didn't happen.

I mean let me clarify, I'm willing for some suspension of disbelief, in the name of Star Control, I just don't personally find it plausible that slavery would be brought back against obviously human beings, regardless of their origin or them being weird.

But this is gonna be an agree to disagree thing I think. I don't buy them as 'just clones', and prefer them as a far more inhuman sort of being with a cloned brain. That makes their backstory make sense to me, whereas with just clones it just doesn't. And I think their cooler anyway as more quasi-robotic (Also fits their captain names very well.) So that's gonna remain my take on them I think.

I don't want to sound negative mind you, just stating my personal opinion on the Androsynth.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:51 am

TSC wrote:I mean let me clarify, I'm willing for some suspension of disbelief, in the name of Star Control, I just don't personally find it plausible that slavery would be brought back against obviously human beings, regardless of their origin or them being weird.
You've probably already seen the page since you've googled Androsynth but here goes a copy-paste job from our fine Ultronomicon!

"As the clones were slowly maturing, a new religious order, Homo Deus — also known as the "Godly Men" — was formed in the aftermath of the Small War and the emotional turmoil caused by the destruction of the Holy Lands, centered on the belief that the Millennium was near — on March 11, 2046, Heaven and Earth would join, and each devout person would be elevated to a divine status. The cult's charismatic founder, Jason MacBride, a former used car salesman, was able to amass millions of poor, disillusioned, and impressionable followers.

Meanwhile, Hsien Ho's clones had already become adults. Seeing them as a threat to his "Godly Men", Jason MacBride fought to have the clones declared sub-human. Calling them "Androsynth", or the "fake men", he used the vast resources of his Homo Deus organization to strip the clones of their human rights. Sadly, as the years passed, the Androsynth became little better than well-treated slaves."

It seems realistic to me that massive cult theologies can turn anyone into a big prick ;)-smf
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:10 am

First off, obviously we just have different visions for the Synth, and that's completely fine. Yours is every bit as valid as any other, I'm just stating my opinion :)
TSC wrote:Google androsynth and android synthetics, not just android synthetics.
Most of those links go to half written fan sites and people with spelling problems, so I wouldn't put too much stock in them. The term isn't mentioned officially anywhere in canon as far as I can see. Doesn't mean it can't be extrapolated and used of course.

This was interesting though:

http://scifiemporium.xcomufo.com/sc/list.htm

Looks like it's mostly what we have on the SCWC as well, but I'll have to go through it to be sure.