Your Opinion of the Androsynth

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Coleslaw
ZEXy Beast

Re: Your Opinion of the Androsynth

Post by Coleslaw »

Angelfish wrote:
Coleslaw wrote:
Angelfish wrote:
Still, the psychology thing has to be explained in order to determine what the androsynth are now ;).
Dead

The Orz decimated their homeworld, and it looks like the fight was done with nuclear bazookas. There is nothing to suggest that the damage inflicted was done solely by the Orz. I can see the desperate Androsynth fighting back the Orz as they emerged into realspace using every weapon at their disposal, including nuclear weapons. It, IMHO was a battle that was fought with extreme savagery. i do like the notion that there are other Androsynth still alive, on Ur-Quan mining colonies, military outposts, and starbases (ala Star Control 1 scenario battle) and serving on Ur-Quan dreadnaughts.

Being millenia old, I would think that if an alien species you subjugated all just up and died at the same time, across your sphere of control, that is something that warrants at least a little investigation. The Ur-Quan would have noticed the Orz and subjugated them or just destroyed them for being annoying. But if one of your slave races claims their homeworld was decimated in a nuclear exchange, the Ur-Quan would be much more "Your Bad" and left matters as they were.
The Androsynth were superhuman beings experienced in IDF and well beyond our abilities. Creating a ploy to fool humans even as enlightened as Zelnick would be a piece of cake for the Androsynth, and it has worked out quite well for them. They even have the Orz to guard their back, powerful nemesis warships with fish creatures in them who attack everyone who asks about them. The Orz are not doing a coverup of evil acts committed by them, they are doing a coverup of the fact that the androsynth are in a different place now.
So are the Androsynth enlightened enough to dupe the Arilou?
Caterpillars, mushrooms, used bubblegum, spiders, calamari, meta-mollusks, and clones of Parker Lewis? The Hierarchy can be defeated with a can of Raid, and a trash bag!
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Coleslaw wrote:So are the Androsynth enlightened enough to dupe the Arilou?
Who says they did? For all we know, the Arilou are part of this ploy.
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 »

Dragon wrote:
Death 999 wrote:I had a dream night before last, and as I began to wake, elaborated upon it....
I felt I had to go back to this and add: Death, you have a special class of dreaming :D but I liked your comment.
While my dreams often are fairly coherent, the 'elaboration in a more conscious than not state' was an important part of what I wrote. The dream core was the pattern of performance, then the feeling after the performer left.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Angelfish wrote:The last part is hardly believable for me. You've got the most intelligent slave on the world, performing research into various areas, but never in his life he's able to study himself or humans? The brainwashing is a good point, and probably required aswell.
I didn't mean he'll never find out how his/her body works. But if he/she is kept under guard with other prisoners of the same sex, and given no chance to procreate, how would he/she know about it? Especially if they've been conditioned to live for their work and regard relationships as unimportant.
I think it becomes quite hard if an androsynth falls in love with a human and then figures out that he is not meant for love. It would ruin him emotionally. Also, currently, the most intelligent people in the world all have their share of psychological problems. The most brilliant people in the world are lacking in social skills. I imagine the same problems being present in the Androsynth unless the person who created them had figured out a way of controlling their emotions beforehand. I'm sure this has been a concern with the scientists in zurich. Their main worry was to create a superhuman slave that is able to perform superhuman deeds, but still controllable by their lesser creators, the humans.
Well, the Andrsoynth don't have superhuman strength or anything. It's not like they're the Hulk, ready to tear their oppressors to pieces the second heir heart gets broken. If one can't be fied with a second bout of brainwashing and identity resetting, a new one can take it's place. Not a perfect system, but systems seldom are. As for falling in love, controlled environments are controlled.
Still, the psychology thing has to be explained in order to determine what the androsynth are now ;).
Well, once they are free all bets are off.
Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman »

My own personal opinion of the Androsynth is based on the premise that they are "monosexual" as PR3 said before adding the P.S. of there probably being female as well as male 'synths.

Basically I view them as clones genetically engineered to not only be incredibly intelligent, but also asexual and androgynous. Their whole personality and culture flavoured by the idea that sex doesn't exist. I also assume that individual Androsynth are raised by their society as a whole rather than "parents", simply because parents do not exist when everyone are clones of the same (or same few) individual(s). This means that while Androsynths are genetically speaking human, or extremely close, their culture and value system is completely different.

I've always imagined them as obsessed with technology and science, both for the fact that they won't be thinking about how to impress the opposite sex all the time, and because of their history, being little more than a genetic experiment run amok. I'd imagine their interest in interdimensional fatigue in particular has some crazy connection to an overall search for "purpose" and meaning in a universe where they are basically a byproduct of another race's curiousity.

I think their whole culture also makes them less empathically developed as a whole. They are all made from a small stock of clones (or a single clone, I can't recall which it was), thus lessening the need to be able to relate to people that are different. Their lack of sexuality and even parental figures decreases their intimacy, (at least based on the premise that they are asexual. If strictly monosexual eunuchs you could view their harsh behaviour and endless thirst for knowledge as sublimation) which further lessens their ability to relate and percieve emotions as strongly as humans.

I'd also imagine the range of androsynth personalities and overall invividualism to be a lot more narrow than human personalities, based again on culture and the fact that they aren't as genetically diverse. Maybe even something as simple as everyone looking the same and possibly wearing very similar clothing also contributes to this to a significant degree on a psychological plane.

Based on this I've always imagined the Androsynth as highly narcissistic sadists, with little respect for the sanctity of life and an almost unquenchable bloodlust towards their former masters, despite the fact that their inherently human nature should let them understand that their mistreatment was merely a product of human ignorance, not evil.

They are simply unable to, or highly unwilling to forgive, and most of their culture revolves around a massive superiority complex where they desperately seek to discover the great truths of the universe as if knowing more about the deepest secrets of existence than any other race will somehow make their own race less "fake".

So that's my take on it, at least vaguely so :)
I could rant about these things for hours.
Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria »

Lobsterman wrote:I'd also imagine the range of androsynth personalities and overall invividualism to be a lot more narrow than human personalities, based again on culture and the fact that they aren't as genetically diverse. Maybe even something as simple as everyone looking the same and possibly wearing very similar clothing also contributes to this to a significant degree on a psychological plane.

Based on this I've always imagined the Androsynth as highly narcissistic sadists, with little respect for the sanctity of life and an almost unquenchable bloodlust towards their former masters, despite the fact that their inherently human nature should let them understand that their mistreatment was merely a product of human ignorance, not evil.

They are simply unable to, or highly unwilling to forgive, and most of their culture revolves around a massive superiority complex where they desperately seek to discover the great truths of the universe as if knowing more about the deepest secrets of existence than any other race will somehow make their own race less "fake"..
Oh this this this. Androsynths are genetically human, but they're basically completely different culturally. They're hereditarily human and I still roll with the idea that their basic human needs for happiness and that all of their emotions couldn't be repressed genetically, but except through drugs. And if we take that route, they'd want stimuli, to be happy otherwise their lives serve no fufillment. So I think they'd express other emotions besides smugness and anger, such as adoration or joy, but just not in the intensity that humans would.

However I don't really see androsynths lacking respect for life. If that's one thing I could see them believing in is the value of sentience, considering their past abuse. Why would they want to inflict the same sort pain upon others if their entire culture had been effected so much by it? (Except of course to their former masters.)
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

I have some internal contradiction here -
I always thought of Anrosynth as though they just wanted to be left alone, from the scene of conquering the airports - they didn't attack, just held positions.
On the other hand there are reports from the battles, where the Synth were highly feared by Earthlings. Maybe that was just because they do their jobs so thoroughly.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard »

Remember, the only data we have on the Androsynth is from biased sources, as far as I know.
Lobsterman
Orz *camper*

Post by Lobsterman »

Saria wrote: However I don't really see androsynths lacking respect for life. If that's one thing I could see them believing in is the value of sentience, considering their past abuse. Why would they want to inflict the same sort pain upon others if their entire culture had been effected so much by it? (Except of course to their former masters.)
Well most of these ideas are just ideas I've had since I was a kid and played the game for the first time. I never really sat down to express my whole idea on their culture before now, so there might be a contradiction here and there :)

However to me that whole lack of respect for life thing is an idea I have from the whole superiority complex I think they have. To me it's almost like the VUX's(although not based on the same premsie) hatred for humans, just that they also generally speaking have little interest in the prosperity of the other alien races. They might only passionately "care" about humans and want to actively do them harm, but I think their whole culture of narcissism wouldn't make them reluctant to harm other species either if it were somehow in their interest to do so.
Alvarin wrote:I have some internal contradiction here -
I always thought of Anrosynth as though they just wanted to be left alone, from the scene of conquering the airports - they didn't attack, just held positions.
On the other hand there are reports from the battles, where the Synth were highly feared by Earthlings. Maybe that was just because they do their jobs so thoroughly.
Yeah, to me that's just one of those places in the story where you have to take a stand and just pick what you want to believe imo. I've always believed the only reason the 'synth held back from attacking was because the Ur-Quan didn't really need or want their battle thralls to engage in unnecessary combat. I'd imagine the Androsynth wouldn't show even a shred of mercy for the humans if they had free roam to do as they would like.

EDIT: I just now realized you were talking about the takeover of eath's spaceports, not their hyperspace behaviour. Either way I don't see why they would attack people whilst trying to escape, that would only raise the stakes and make it harder to get away. It's a lot easier to pull something like that off if you have the general population fearing, but not hating you. I'm gonna quote the ultronomicon here: "Within a day's time, every spaceflight facility on the planet was taken over by the Androsynth, aided by a number of underground Human sympathizers."
TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC »

My opinion on the Androsynth.

First of all, I find it a little irking that they are called Android Synthetics, when they are meant to be CLONES.

So I was thinking, how do I resolve this? Well the way I do is that their brain is the only cloned part, and it's a human brain engineered to it's maximum potential, which is then integrated with a synthoid body. (I think the Androsynth where meant to all be neuters, so this'd work.)

This way, since the brain is what defines a human, they ARE technically human clones (since they have human brains.) But also about as close to android synthetics as I could get it. (Although more synthoid cyborgs I guess.) I also find it more plausible that people would not recognize such synthoids as humans, and see them more as products and thus keep them as slaves. (Because I find for me its kind of a stretch to believe that people'd bring back slavery with clones that are effectively completely human and only clones. Whereas with a more semi-robotic race I COULD see this happen.)

So that's my preferred idea on the Androsynth nature. Might not quite be what Ford and Reiche had in mind with them, but then again, SC2 I don't think necessarily flat out contradicts it either, because it gives fairly limited information about them.

Personality wise, I think of the Androsynth as being justifiably angry at the human race for being kept as slaves, but not necessarily nice underneath that. They could well see themselves as superior, and if indeed they where supercyborgs of sorts, one could argue that compared to your average race they WOULD have better -abilities-. They'd have highly developped brains, grown to perfection in powerful artificial bodies. Although even if they only had improved brains, they still could make the claim since brains are what makes the tech, and that's where a species real muscle is.

However the Androsynth also couldn't be TO hostile, because the Spathi where the least afraid of them out of all the Hierarchy members. Now that could just be the Androsynth obfuscating possible hostile true intentions because they are smart. But it could also mean they were okay to deal with. Maybe very formal and to the point.

I think maybe ultimately the Androsynth could go either way far as being bad guys or good guys. After all even if they would indeed deem themselves superior (as they could and as can happen in response to bigotry (from the humans), they need not be hostile, because they might be smart enough to realize a war with the entire universe could well not end in their favour. Maybe they would just like to be left alone.

What I think the canonical intent for them was, is to be a stand-in for the Umanu in a sequel (and like the Umanu becoming friendly afterwards.) But I'm not sure what I'd do with them personally if I had the reins for a sequel.

Given that I don't think I'd really want to cast the Orz as the main villains (I think if it was up to me I'd have another idea (more connected to the Milieu) for a main villain) So if it was all up to me, I might actually not feature the Androsynth other then having some species reference them. But that's just me.