What's your favorite SC2 ship?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Elegant_Elowan
ZEXy Beast

Re: What's your favorite SC2 ship?

Post by Elegant_Elowan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Lukipela wrote:That's a pretty avatar. Where is it from?
It's from the Starflight, a spiritual predecessor to Star Control 1&2 and it is one of my favorite games ever. The pic itself is from the second game I think - Starflight 2: the Routes of the Cloud Nebula (I never got around playing that one), and it represents a member of Elowan, a sentient plant species not much unlike Supox.

Glad you like it :)

Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Elegant_Elowan wrote:
It's from the Starflight, a spiritual predecessor to Star Control 1&2 and it is one of my favorite games ever. The pic itself is from the second game I think - Starflight 2: the Routes of the Cloud Nebula (I never got around playing that one), and it represents a member of Elowan, a sentient plant species not much unlike Supox.

No I

I must resist playing another retro sci-fi game.

:(

Elegant_Elowan
ZEXy Beast

Post by Elegant_Elowan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Saria wrote:
Elegant_Elowan wrote:

No I

I must resist playing another retro sci-fi game.

:(
Heh, I think I understand how you feel :D

I really liked Starflight, 'cause it's a really open game - as much as SC2 is - but it has a lot more encounters, trade and rpg elements than it's successor. It also has a lot of Star Trek feel about it, in a way that you can assign different officers for different aspects of the ship (science, engineering, navigation for example), hail ships to initiate conversation, explore planets from orbit or with planet landers, and it goes all the way to arming weapons, raising shields and the like. In fact the game is actually so good, that BioWare used it as a main inspiration for the Mass Effect series (although I still like Starflight much more then ME). The plot is also good, but not as good as the one found in UQM.

If you're up to it, I recommend playing the Sega Genesis '91 version of the game (the one I played) because it has slightly better graphics (other differences are negligible) and if you liked SC2 I believe you'll like this one too.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:32 pm

Elegant_Elowan wrote:If you're up to it, I recommend playing the Sega Genesis '91 version of the game (the one I played) because it has slightly better graphics (other differences are negligible) and if you liked SC2 I believe you'll like this one too.
Alot of people on the interwebs complain that, even thought the Sega Version has better graphics, it takes away that StarTrek feeling of being a solitary exploration ship on an open ended exposition around the galaxy. Never tried it myself though, so I wouldn't know..

Is that profile picture really from the game? I somehow remember the Elowan being represented by these blocky black silhouettes ala the crew recruitment screen.

And as to that, I liked Elowan, being a lot like Supox, but they were so damn low on hit points. My Elowan medic would always die on planetary excursions when I encountered an electric storm...or a vicious native animal....or a slight breeze..

I should also say, StarFlight 2: Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula has, without a doubt, the most badass cover art I've ever seen on any computer game...

I mean, it has just about every single trope, cliche, and stereo-typical symbol of Science fiction all wrapped into one piece of artwork.
StarFlight 2 Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula.jpg
StarFlight 2 Trade Routes of the Cloud Nebula.jpg (101.34 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

TSC
Silly Supox

Post by TSC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:28 pm

My favourite ships are the VUX Intruder, Supox Blade, Orz Nemesis and Ur-Quan Dreadnought.

I'd pick the Orz as my very favourite though I think.

I love melee though and every ship has it's charm.

I don't like fighting against Pkunk Furies that much though. It can get kind of annoying.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:42 pm

A man (?) of impeccable taste. These are some of my favourites as well.

Pkunk Furies, especially ones piloted by the AI, are indeed a pain in the rear end. Skiffs and Probes, too.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm

TSC wrote:I don't like fighting against Pkunk Furies that much though. It can get kind of annoying.
Seriously.