What's your favorite SC2 ship?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

BaVB
Arilou wiseguy

What's your favorite SC2 ship?

Post by BaVB » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:11 pm

What's your favorite SC2 ship you ALWAYS must have in your fleet in order to survive? Cast your vote here, let's see which ship is the most popular throughout our community!

I was going to make a poll about it, but I can only have 10 options. So I'll just use the poll Angelfish generously posted. ;D-smf

Anyway, here it is:

Poll: What's your favorite SC2 ship?
[*]Androsynth Guardian
[*]Arilou Skiff
[*]Chenjesu Broodhome
[*]Chmmr Avatar
[*]Druuge Mauler
[*]Earthling Cruiser
[*]Ilwrath Avenger
[*]Kohr-Ah Marauder
[*]Melnorme Trader
[*]Mmrnmhrm Transformer
[*]Mycon Podship
[*]Orz
[*]Pkunk Fury
[*]Shofixti Scout
[*]Slylandro Probe
[*]Spathi Discriminator/Eluder
[*]Supox Blade
[*]Syreen Penetrator
[*]Thraddash Torch
[*]Umgah Drone
[*]Ur-Quan Drednought
[*]Utwig Jugger
[*]VUX Intruder
[*]Yehat Terminator
[*]Zoq-Fot Stinger

And why do you like the ship?

I like the Arilou Skiff. It's fast, it can teleport out of a situation, and it's projectiles are demon. A quick mind is all you require to man it with enormous success. Kohr-Ah and Kzer-Za fall before it's tiny hull, and many, many more.
Last edited by BaVB on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: What's your favorite SC2 ship?

Post by Angelfish » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:16 pm

BaVB
Arilou wiseguy

Post by BaVB » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Gekko
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Gekko » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Probe. Excellent maneuvering makes it a very useful multi-tool. There are some very obvious counters to it (Chmmr, Utwig and Mmrn), but using the two first is always a decision that could be kicking you back to nuts due to the Chmmr being a trumpcard and Utwig a capital ship counter. Usually this leads to the Probe facing a Mmrnmhrm. Usually I try to deploy the Probe at the middle-to-end parts of the combat, as the possibility of the opponent having a decent counter is a lot lower by then. Considering this, I choose Probe as the best doomsday machine for the final, decisive matches in a game.
Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:44 pm

BaVB wrote: Kohr-Ah and Kzer-Za fall before it's tiny hull
Arilou only beats Kohr-Ah in vanilla UQM if the Kohr-Ah pilot is clueless (yes, this includes the AI). All it has to do is throw up a blade shield and use the FRIED if by some miracle Arilou gets through. It's possible in the balance mod though. And Kzer-Za can be extremely difficult to take down, the fighters are a very good anti-flanking weapon, a low-crew ship like Arilou pretty much has to disengage when Kzer-Za launches just two of them.

I chose Chenjesu. It's weapon has a deadly combination of long range and heavy damage, and the DOGIs can be downright crippling. Unfortunately it is overpriced in vanilla UQM, but in balance I find it quite useful.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

BaVB
Arilou wiseguy

Post by BaVB » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:33 pm

oldlaptop wrote:
BaVB wrote: Kohr-Ah and Kzer-Za fall before it's tiny hull
Arilou only beats Kohr-Ah in vanilla UQM if the Kohr-Ah pilot is clueless (yes, this includes the AI)
Actually, I've beaten a bunch of Kohr-Ah and Ur-Quan with Arilou before. It's hard to completely master, but once you do it's VERY deadly IMO.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:53 pm

BaVB wrote: Actually, I've beaten a bunch of Kohr-Ah and Ur-Quan with Arilou before. It's hard to completely master, but once you do it's VERY deadly IMO.
I should have been clearer, the AI is completely and utterly stupid with the Marauder, thus making it possible to take down. Any human pilot with half a brain would beat Arilou (almost) every time using non-suicidal tactics. The Kzer-Za AI is also too free with fighters, enabling one to bring it down to the hard-coded crew limit at which it will not deploy more and zap it with ease. A human usually figures it out and stops ordering crew to commit suicide. Pretty much the only ships the AI flies well are Umgah, Slylandro, Pkunk, and Arilou. It fliles most other ships naively, and the AI Marauder is a perfect example of what NOT to do with the ship.
Last edited by oldlaptop on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

BaVB
Arilou wiseguy

Post by BaVB » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:10 pm

oldlaptop wrote:
BaVB wrote: Actually, I've beaten a bunch of Kohr-Ah and Ur-Quan with Arilou before. It's hard to completely master, but once you do it's VERY deadly IMO.
I should have been clearer, the AI is completely and utterly stupid with the Marauder, thus making it possible to take down. Any human pilot with half a brain would beat Arilou (almost) every time using non-suicidal tactics. The Kzer-Za AI is also too free with fighters, enabling one to bring it down to the hard-coded crew limit at which it will not deploy more and zap it with ease. A human usually figures it out and stop ordering crew to commit suicide. Pretty much the only ships the AI flies well are Umgah, Slylandro, Pkunk, and Arilou. It fliles most other ships naively, and the AI Marauder is a perfect example of what NOT to do with the ship.
Oh, THAT'S what you meant. In that case I agree, even though my partners in battle are really bad will almost every ship and I usually don't go through two before I destroy their entire full fleet.

Other then my dad, he has the least intelligence in fighting. He's the only opponent I've faced that actually can man a ship pretty decently.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm assuming that clicking those links would cast your vote, doesn't seem to be working for me :(-smf .

Well, my favorite ship is probably a toss up between the Androsynth {Androsnyth?} Guardian and the Slylandro probe. Both are very versatile and fast to get away {assuming the Guardian has energy}. Slylandro is very fast and counters many ships, where as a Guardian is just a pain in the butt to take down altogether! Androsynth also double as my favorite race ;D-smf.

EDIT: Nevermind, it works now..
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.