What do you think the New Alliance did with the Ur-quan?

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: What do you think the New Alliance did with the Ur-quan?

Post by oldlaptop » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Guizot wrote: The VUX may consider joining the Alliance. After all, they did manage to tolerate the Androsynth while they were members of the Hierarchy.
Keep in mind that the VUX were not voluntary Hierarchy members. The Ur-Quan had to violently subjugate them, just the same as anyone else. I would not be surprised if they fought the way they did partially to avoid being forced to work alongside those intolerably hideous Androsynth. Of course, this would assume that a VUX would not rather die than fight alongside a vomitous Human clone. I wonder if there is any record of mass VUX suicide...
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Guizot
Silly Supox

Post by Guizot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:05 am

oldlaptop wrote:Keep in mind that the VUX were not voluntary Hierarchy members. The Ur-Quan had to violently subjugate them, just the same as anyone else. I would not be surprised if they fought the way they did partially to avoid being forced to work alongside those intolerably hideous Androsynth. Of course, this would assume that a VUX would not rather die than fight alongside a vomitous Human clone. I wonder if there is any record of mass VUX suicide...
Is it not the same with the New Alliance? Don't the VUX face annihilation if they do not cooperate? They could flee, perhaps with the Ur-Quan, but isn't it much simpler to ask the Alliance to limit their interactions? The VUX could easily isolate themselves in such a way. They did not seem too opposed to being left alone in their own quadrant of space after the Hierarchy Wars. Which reminds me, it is a little odd that the VUX were worried enough about the Androsynth to confront Orz about their disappearance.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:58 am

I think it had much more to do with their curiosity and, perhaps, lack of social cues understanding with ORZ, than with actual interest in the fate of Androsynth.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mormont » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:54 pm

I think it's more likely that the majority of the Kzer-za would join with the Kohr-ah than that they would become peaceful. From their perspective, Zelnick essentially made a pact with the devil to defeat them (by joining with the Dnyarri, however temporary). Both types of Ur-quan are already deeply disturbed by the mere presence of a Dnyarri on your ship even when he's not doing anything. The fact that they were not only overthrown by slave races, but that these races made a deal with the Dnyarri would likely just confirm that their fears about other races were correct.

So while I can see a few Kzer-za breaking off from the main group and having some sort of cold neutrality with the New Alliance, I think a lot of them would decide that their doctrine was in error and the Kohr-ah were correct. After all, if the Ur-quan had exterminated the humans and Chenjesu, they never would have have been defeated. If Zelnick is willing to ally with such an evil creature, why would they trust him at all?

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Guizot wrote:
oldlaptop wrote:Keep in mind that the VUX were not voluntary Hierarchy members. The Ur-Quan had to violently subjugate them, just the same as anyone else. I would not be surprised if they fought the way they did partially to avoid being forced to work alongside those intolerably hideous Androsynth. Of course, this would assume that a VUX would not rather die than fight alongside a vomitous Human clone. I wonder if there is any record of mass VUX suicide...
Is it not the same with the New Alliance? Don't the VUX face annihilation if they do not cooperate? They could flee, perhaps with the Ur-Quan, but isn't it much simpler to ask the Alliance to limit their interactions? The VUX could easily isolate themselves in such a way. They did not seem too opposed to being left alone in their own quadrant of space after the Hierarchy Wars. Which reminds me, it is a little odd that the VUX were worried enough about the Androsynth to confront Orz about their disappearance.
No, they could just be neutral, get on with their lives by isolating themselves from others. As long as they didn't fight the NAFS they should be alowed to be free.

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mormont » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:32 am

I can see the VUX reluctantly joining the New Alliance (or at least unofficially helping them) if there is some massive new threat to deal with and they have no other choice, but probably not under normal circumstances.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:05 am

Mormont wrote:... if there is some massive new threat ...
Like Hyperspace breaking?

*dodges rotten tomatoes*
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:47 am

Alvarin wrote:

*dodges rotten tomatoes*
Thank you so much for saying that before I tried to.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Alvarin wrote:

*dodges rotten tomatoes*
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to harass your allies and turn traitor rather than, y'know, actually help. And then hook up with your soulmate and everything's hunky-dory. I hated the way the VUX were portrayed in that game.

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mormont » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:28 pm

Yeah, making the VUX stupid bumbling backstabbers was dumb. They always seemed to me like the most disciplined slave race except maybe the Androsynth. They would have been the best choice to guard the moon, really.