Aliens from Precursor Time

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Zizin
ZEXy Beast

Re: Aliens from Precursor Time

Post by Zizin »

The only evidence of their passing would be the artifacts they left behind, and perhaps a portal to their battleground (which the Rainbow Worlds point to).
Rainbow worlds point to Easter Egg (Groombridge):

The original purpose of the arrow formed by the Rainbow Worlds, and this is according to the creators themselves, was to point toward a single planet where the player would have an interactive conversation with the two creators. This was never completed.

Contributed by Vance (98) on 23.02.2002

However

If you discover the location of all the rainbow planets (10?) they form an arrow pointing towards the galactic core (top right corner). The worlds were created by the Precursors and the arrow hints at where they dissapeared to (this is addressed in Star Control 3).

(from here http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/star- ... -ii/trivia)
untogether
ZEXy Beast

Post by untogether »

oldlaptop wrote:
The Proto-Chmmr wrote: your vessel shares some similarities in design to the ur-quan's battle platform
which they call `sa-matra', meaning `great trophy'
So the tug and Sa-Matra at least were probably from the same civilization. Writing on the Bomb has supposedly been identified as Precursor-ese, although that could have been some standard galactic language. Hayes does say it resembles Chenjesu technology.
Wasn't there something about the Mmmrhmm and MyCon themselves being Precursor creations? Effectively, intelligent tools created for a purpose? Maybe the Chenjesu were, too.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

In SC2 the Umgah say Mycon are constructed species, nothing about Precursors involvement. That part was added in SC3.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture »

I imagine the Precursors as being an alliance of races, much like the Alliance of Free Stars. That could also explain the variety in their technologies.

If not I would have to believe that if aliens were as common then as they are in the events of Star Control 2, then they would have been farther apart. With much larger spheres of influence.
chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard »

They were clearly one race, since they are described as being like elephants.
Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture »

Yes, you're right. I must have forgotten that dialogue. Some may not trust the Slylandro but as stated before, they ARE the only other race to have known the precursors...
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas »

chenjesuwizard wrote:They were clearly one race, since they are described as being like elephants.
Not necessarily. That information comes from only one source (the Slylandro) who were quite difficult to find; after all, Zelnick is a representative of only the fourth alien race to ever find them, out of hundreds of millennia. The "Precursors" could very well be composed of an alliance of several races, but only the elephantine aliens described came to visit the Slylandro; after all, the Slylandro never met any of the other races of the Sentient Milleu, just heard about them from the Ur-Quan.
Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin »

The precursors were in contact with the Slylandro for quite long period of time. I believe that if there was a collaboration of species, rather than just one race, they would tell Slylandro, as thy did tell them quite a lot of things. But again - assumption not anchored in canon.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela »

Maloo Oture wrote:I imagine the Precursors as being an alliance of races, much like the Alliance of Free Stars. That could also explain the variety in their technologies.
Ooor... The Precursors used fun stuff like the Sa-Matra and planetary bombs and solar emitters to wipe out any race they came across, appropriating any interesting technology. That's what I'd do if I had the upper hand. No more of this wishy-washy alliance stuff, just drive in, kill everyone, collect technology and blow up all their planets. Clean and effective.
Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture »

Ooor... The Precursors used fun stuff like the Sa-Matra and planetary bombs and solar emitters to wipe out any race they came across, appropriating any interesting technology. That's what I'd do if I had the upper hand. No more of this wishy-washy alliance stuff, just drive in, kill everyone, collect technology and blow up all their planets. Clean and effective.
Yes, just as I do in many games. It's quite the beat-all situation. But I can't see beings that create rainbow worlds as being anything but benevolant. :)