Aliens from Precursor Time

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Aliens from Precursor Time

Post by chenjesuwizard » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 pm

There must of been other Alien's around during the time of the Precursors, since they built huge battleships (eg. Samatra) to destroy enemies. We know of the Slylandro, but who else. Plus, they myst of been very powerful to take on the Precursors, perhaps explaining there dissapearence (unlikely, but still).

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Aliens from Precursor Time

Post by oldlaptop » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:23 am

I've always thought that the Sa-Matra class battleships were built to combat the Orz/Them/other scary extradimensional menace. The Arilou vaugely hint that there are very bad things in other *times*, and the Orz is an obvious threat. To top it all off, the Precursors most likely had IDF technology themselves, being as technically advanced as they were. Of course, it may be something completely different, who knows!
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Guizot
Silly Supox

Post by Guizot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:36 am

It is also possible that the Sa-Matra was utilized for civil conflicts. That is, the Precursors may have not had any enemies beyond themselves.
But zut, the cliché motif of a powerful empire being its own downfall is probably far beneath Star Control. Moreover, there is no indication that the Precursors were barbaric to any capacity.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:17 am

Yes, Star Control is entirely lacking in clichés otherwise. ;)-smf

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:01 pm

TVtropes links will be posted by Draxas when he gets here :)
Callow youth to save the universe
Powerful now disappeared civilization
Blue Amazon babes
Clone revolt
Every race has compatible technologies
Every alien speaks fluid English (except ORZO)
Did I miss any?
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Oh, lots and lots. But I'm not going to link every trope in the game, since I'll be old and grey before I think of them all.

Of course, so as not to cop out entirely, you can always check this.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:30 pm

oldlaptop wrote:I've always thought that the Sa-Matra class battleships were built to combat the Orz/Them/other scary extradimensional menace. The Arilou vaugely hint that there are very bad things in other *times*, and the Orz is an obvious threat. To top it all off, the Precursors most likely had IDF technology themselves, being as technically advanced as they were. Of course, it may be something completely different, who knows!
It is possible that the Precursors were IDF creatures, thus explaining why there's mystery... (not that we know much about IDF anyway, but it explains it a bit more)

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:51 pm

Draxas wrote: Of course, so as not to cop out entirely, you can always check this.
Ooh, someone expanded the page! Last time I checked, Star Control page was really small
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:25 am

Every time I see these topic I read "Aliens from Predator". And every timeI am slightly disappointed.

zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy

Post by zenzmurfy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Guizot wrote:It is also possible that the Sa-Matra was utilized for civil conflicts. That is, the Precursors may have not had any enemies beyond themselves.
But zut, the cliché motif of a powerful empire being its own downfall is probably far beneath Star Control. Moreover, there is no indication that the Precursors were barbaric to any capacity.
I think the Precursors just left the galaxy and were not destroyed. That's what the storyline leads me to think. I agree that because there are no mention of other precursor-like beings I would be inclined to believe that their level of technology was due to self competition else there would be artifacts from their competitors.

Seen the pkunk oil message yet? :)