Dear Paul & Fred

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Re: Dear Paul Reiche III

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:33 pm

One of the things I loved about Star Control 2 was the various side quests. You didn't have one linear story line.
It meant that when I replayed it, I still had some new things to do which I had never completed before.
(A while back I played another game in which by the 4th replay, I had only done half the side quests.)

I would love to see more of that in the sequel.

cymon
Hunam adventurer

Post by cymon » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Alvarin wrote:
Fred wrote: If you know the dynamic between me and Paul, you would know that I'm the one who makes things happen. He gets all the credit (hence the name of this thread) and I'm OK with that.
Isn't it always the case?
I was actually going to say something about that. Why is this thread called "Dear Paul Reiche III" when Fred Ford is just as much a part of the process if not more. I mean Paul's the writer but Fred is the nitty-gritty man. Or at least was. Apparently still is. I figured after all this time that FF & PR3's skills would start bleeding over into each other, that PR3 would learn some programming and FF would try his had at writing, but I guess not.

So, Fred, thrilled to have your voice in this conversation. Is there anything, perhaps of a more technical nature, that you'd like to try if you made a modern Star Control sequel?

Axemaster
Hunam adventurer

Re: Dear Paul & Fred

Post by Axemaster » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Subject changed,..... everyone good...?

....Good :)

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:33 pm

I agree that hyperspace should be more challenging, but I do think it's necessary. Without it, you can just teleport from place to place, which I hated in SC3.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Eth wrote:I would go so far as to say inarguably, that makes it better, considering some of the horror stories I've heard about TFB's parent company.
Yeah, a good game beats a moneymaking machine any day in my book. Not that I don't want you guys to turn a profit or anything, but your parent company doesn't have the best of creds.

And Axemaster, there is a quote button :) Keep colouring things if you want to by all means though.

Zeracles, I don't know about fun and internally consistent. I always enjoyed the mining subgame even though it isn't very realistic. I suppose it's all down to personal preferences, which makes it really hard to come up with an alternative that suits everyone.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:39 am

cymon wrote:So, Fred, thrilled to have your voice in this conversation. Is there anything, perhaps of a more technical nature, that you'd like to try if you made a modern Star Control sequel?
You don't want to be surprised anymore, cymon?
Lukipela wrote:Zeracles, I don't know about fun and internally consistent. I always enjoyed the mining subgame even though it isn't very realistic.
About the realism - I don't mind when things are unrealistic, as long as they're fun. In this case, unreality hurts more because the game universe makes less sense, mostly because the resources aren't renewable. When all the resources are exhausted does that mean everyone's stranded? Some of the in-game fleets are pretty massive, where'd they come from? It's hard to present an intricately-detailed universe with this sort of inconsistency. It always annoyed me because SC2 is a game that strives to do that, among other things.

Having the resources regenerate over time might be a good fix. On more tectonically active worlds I'd imagine the replacement would occur faster, so there's a reason to convert water worlds to shattered worlds if there's a way . . .
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand

Post by Dabir » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:38 am

I think it's to be assumed that the lander is nowhere near as efficient at gathering resources as a dedicated mining operation.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:31 am

That would make it far less annoying to me, except that I don't see (or even hear of, IIRC) any dedicated mining operations. It seems rather well hidden for an intended assumption.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Zeracles wrote:About the realism - I don't mind when things are unrealistic, as long as they're fun. In this case, unreality hurts more because the game universe makes less sense, mostly because the resources aren't renewable. When all the resources are exhausted does that mean everyone's stranded? Some of the in-game fleets are pretty massive, where'd they come from? It's hard to present an intricately-detailed universe with this sort of inconsistency. It always annoyed me because SC2 is a game that strives to do that, among other things.

Having the resources regenerate over time might be a good fix. On more tectonically active worlds I'd imagine the replacement would occur faster, so there's a reason to convert water worlds to shattered worlds if there's a way . . .
No doubt the resources are renewable, since the solar system actually contains some after many years of inactivity. However, over the intended time frame of the game (only a few years from arrival at Sol to the end of the Death March), replenishment is not going to generate any significant new quantities of resources.

Granted, other races have hidden their mining operations well, but that's an acceptable break from reality as far as I'm concerned; I'd rather not run into irate miners on every useful world in alien SOIs.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Draxas wrote:No doubt the resources are renewable, since the solar system actually contains some after many years of inactivity. However, over the intended time frame of the game (only a few years from arrival at Sol to the end of the Death March), replenishment is not going to generate any significant new quantities of resources.
All this ought to be obvious. These explanations to work around the inconsistency of the in-game universe with respect to resource gathering don't help because they bespeak an equally damaging omission - that facts so central to how stuff works don't get mentioned. They certainly should, given the depth of dialogue concerning on other subjects. Which allows reasonable doubt that this was not in fact the intended interpretation.
Draxas wrote:Granted, other races have hidden their mining operations well, but that's an acceptable break from reality as far as I'm concerned; I'd rather not run into irate miners on every useful world in alien SOIs.
Well I rather would, because that's something else that always bothered me about this topic. Why one wouldn't protect the resources contained within one's actively-patrolled territory is a mystery to me.

I'm not really knocking the game here, this is one of its foibles that has not aged well. I'll even concede that planet-landing resource gathering can be quite interesting, but I would like a new SC to be popular.